Driving on the road with Agricultural vehicles. . . Whats the real rules??

MODELFARMER

for those that keep haveing a go at the fasttrac  did you know that they have done tests on them a fasttrac and a artic unit

stopping distanses

both pulled the same trailer with the same weight and same speed

and the fastrac acktualy stoped quicker than the lorry (shorther distance) the down side is it runs on cherry unless you fill with derv and people sticking untrained drivers on them

and i used to drive a moggy and i got told off one day over took the md,s in his landy at speeds over 65mph  ::) ::)::) with a trailer on

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To pick up on one or two points raised:

The 21 year minimum age limit is a legal requirement (nothing to do with insurance) for any agricultural tractor/sprayer/combine harvester which has an unladen weight of over 7370kg.  There is no actual weight limit for a class F licence.  Tractors (Agricultural Motor Vehicles) and combines (Agricultural Engines), are exempt from the LGV driving licence regulations.

Under Construction and Use Regulations, the Maximum Permissable Gross Train Weight (ie tractor+trailer+load) for an agricultural tractor and trailer is 24 390kg. Above this you are legally regarded as an LGV, and are required to comply with ALL the regulations that LGV's have to comply with regarding licensing (vehicle and driver), MOT Test, fuel, braking, drivers hours/tachographs, maintenance schedules etc.  Exceeding 24,390kg with an agricultural tractor/trailer could potentially land you with a fine of up to £5000. 

As far as Forklifts are concerned, it was the case that you could not use them for towing, because the licencing rules changed a few years ago, and they had to be licensed as a mobile crane (which may not tow anything other than equipment for use in its role as a crane).  However, this has now changed, and they may tow a trailer providing they are suitably equipped with a synchronised trailer braking system.

ALL agricultural trailers with a Maximum Gross Weight of over 750kg must have a braking system which can be applied on the move (at the most basic, overrun brakes may be suitable). Trailers made since 1st Dec 1985, must have a braking system that can be applied progressively by the driver from his normal driving position, and must acheive a braking efficiency of at least 25%.

Trailers with a MGW exceeding 14 230kg must have a braking system operated directly by the service braking system of the pulling vehicle.

Its ok comparing stopping distances for a lorry and fastrac but until a fastrac has to be mot tested and driver regulations come in it means nothing. Having done alot of maintenance on mogs the braking system is far superior in performance and build quality to that of a fastrac on a different angle merc are ahead of the game on engine emissions which might come into play one day. I think machinery manufacturers need to be more responsible in there approach to road safety the pick up hitch makes me cringe

Here, here. The ball hitch on the 30t hookloader I was using in Denmark was superb. On a Fastrac and a Claas, no slack, no rocking on use or loading / unloading. Hell of build quality from all three parties.

This is a very intresting topic. I was reading though dsa and they were saying that once i have passed my tractor test i can tow a close coupled trailer up to 24ton but i didnt see why i can when im only 16 but so can people of any age?

All very well that Dmullen, but you wont be saying that when your banned for driving and a big fine.

Currently the worst thing i believe you can do is go on the road with a dumptrailer, i do not understand why the Doe are putting people off the road for doing this, i know anytime i do it, i go on the road between 7am and 8.30 am then stay off until at least 5pm, sometimes you just have to take the risk and go on a head.  so can anyone enlighten me on the rules ???

for 16 year olds in Northern Ireland by DVLNI the laws is tractor is up to 2.45m wide and only trailer with coupled wheels. although there is a legislation about that the whole tractor and whatever is on the back is only allowed to be 3.5ton. but how are 16year olds to know what the legislation is when it is not informed unless you do the safe tractor driving course at greenmount, which isint essential. doesn't stop me as i am still following the rules of DVLNI ;) ;)

blake can you confirm what the story is with telehandlers? are 16 year olds allowed on the road with them. i dont see why not as your not using the handler on the road :-\ there probly the safest and easiet things to drive so i would think being on the road shouldn't be a problem :-\

why is it illegal to pull a 13 tonne track machine behind a tractor on a low loader but the same tractor is allowed to pull 13 tonne of grass or dung  trafic branch say 6 tonne is the biggest digger you can tow why is this

I'm surprised no-one has answered this one. You can pull a tracked machine on a trailer behind a tractor quite legally providing the machine is no more than 3500kgs and it is only used for agricultural purposes.

I don't think it has to be ag related, again diesel and tax issues are considerations. For ag work, the tractor doing the towing must be used at site. Otherwise it's haulage related. See, minefield!

. . . Oh yeah and last year on the spreading we towed a 13t JCB on a McCauley plant trailer behind a JD 7530 - Management were told it was legal, we wanted 7830's but they'd be overwieght towing the JCB.

If you can find any clarity in the rules aod follow them from front to back you will probably find that many contridictions; it will end up meaning no tractor can be driven on any road, anywhere, for any purpose! ::):D :D

So I shouldn't be driving the Farmmaster on the raod then?

might be ok on the north devon raods, but the rest of devons roads might be a little iffy :D :D :D :D :D :D

guess your boss should know that really if hes asking you to drive it, afterall you as the driver get the fine/ points, your boss doesnt

why is it illegal to pull a 13 tonne track machine behind a tractor on a low loader but the same tractor is allowed to pull 13 tonne of grass or dung  trafic branch say 6 tonne is the biggest digger you can tow why is this

It stems from the fact that a tractor pickup hitch must not carry more than 3000kg.  Most low loaders have the wheels to the rear of the load platform, therefore 50% of the weight of the low loader plus load is carried on the drawbar, which in turn implies that the maximum permissable gross weight of the low loader plus its load can only be 6000kg.

Daft, that's only with the digger up to the headboard. We sat it over the trailer's axles about 2ft from the headboard. It ought to go on axle wieghts. Still, we were informed we were legal so it's not of grave concern. The spreaders actually top that at 6.5t empty, 14t capacity and rearward single axle.

for 16 year olds in Northern Ireland by DVLNI the laws is tractor is up to 2.45m wide and only trailer with coupled wheels. although there is a legislation about that the whole tractor and whatever is on the back is only allowed to be 3.5ton. but how are 16year olds to know what the legislation is when it is not informed unless you do the safe tractor driving course at greenmount, which isint essential. doesn't stop me as i am still following the rules of DVLNI ;) ;)

blake can you confirm what the story is with telehandlers? are 16 year olds allowed on the road with them. i dont see why not as your not using the handler on the road :-\ there probly the safest and easiet things to drive so i would think being on the road shouldn't be a problem :-\

I was told that legislation doesn't apply anymore  ;) Only up too 2.45m wide and trailer must have close coupled wheels  ;) ;)  Thats what i tend to stick with anyway  ;)::)

To drive a Telehandler of the road legally you must have a telehandler Licence and to legally drive one on the road you must hold a Full UK Driving licence  ;) ;)

Im ok to drive one on a farm as i have the Telehnadler licence but that doesn't allow me to drive on the road  ;)

I was told that legislation doesn't apply anymore  ;) Only up too 2.45m wide and trailer must have close coupled wheels  ;) ;)  Thats what i tend to stick with anyway  ;)::)

To drive a Telehandler of the road legally you must have a telehandler Licence and to legally drive one on the road you must hold a Full UK Driving licence  ;) ;)

Im ok to drive one on a farm as i have the Telehnadler licence but that doesn't allow me to drive on the road  ;)

cheers blake, perhaps wont tell the boss that ;D:D