New manufacturer - Imber Models - Ford 5640

Barry

The number plates refer to Wiltshire registration and I tink the prefix signifies first year of proper sales. I have once seen a J reg 40 but it was the overlap year and I have never seen one since.

Shes a bit like our old 7810 she was built in december 91 but regestered 92

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford introduced the 40 series at smithfield show december 1991 and I guess the dealers had them by spring 92 which would have made the early machines "J" plates as in that year we still only had one registration date of August 1st. When the "K" plate would have taken over. K reg 10 series tractors are probably ex stock tractors that dealers already had on order when new 40s were announced. Personally I think I would rather have had a late K plate 7810(generation 3) machine than an all new yet to be proved 7840 ;)

I can still remember a conversation I had with Ian Loversidge of G & J PECKS (Ford NH dealers) who back then was workshop foreman (now company director!!) and he said the early 40 series electroshift SLE models were a total "nightmare" and no where near as good or reliable as MF dynashift gearbox.

So if I were to buy one of these imbar models it would be the bog standard 7840SL as that way I wont get a gearbox failure when its working on the farm diorama ;D

I can still remember a conversation I had with Ian Loversidge of G & J PECKS (Ford NH dealers) who back then was workshop foreman (now company director!!) and he said the early 40 series electroshift SLE models were a total "nightmare" and no where near as good or reliable as MF dynashift gearbox.

Understand from Ford NH service guys Ford introduced the 'Quad Mod' upgrade under warranty to the early boxes - just make sure you have a service history!

• 2 weeks later...

Ford introduced the 40 series at smithfield show december 1991 and I guess the dealers had them by spring 92 which would have made the early machines "J" plates as in that year we still only had one registration date of August 1st. When the "K" plate would have taken over. K reg 10 series tractors are probably ex stock tractors that dealers already had on order when new 40s were announced. Personally I think I would rather have had a late K plate 7810(generation 3) machine than an all new yet to be proved 7840 ;)

So if I were to buy one of these imbar models it would be the bog standard 7840SL as that way I wont get a gearbox failure when its working on the farm diorama ;D

but round here it was oppersite , the bog standard no electrics sl - dual power gear boxes gave trouble because i know of a few 7840 that had sl's in them and they had soo much trouble the dealer changed them to sle's under warranty which were no trouble at all  :-\  suprising realy as you would have thought with a new gearbox it would be the electric one giving problems nt the mechanical one  :)

• 2 weeks later...

i heard there was a 7840 ford coming but not so sure on the blue top nh....hope they do though ;D

I don't want to steal anybody's thunder here but when I rang Karen to give them my card details I had quite a good chat with her about the future.

The plan is to introduce the next model in the series every 6 months, first the 6*40 series and then the 7*40 series and so on. However, a great deal depends on circumstances that are beyond their control, licences from the OEM, quality issues and other production delays. You only have to look at the problems Andy has had with the FTF County to know how that can affect the plans :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

The short answer is, yes there will be more models, but when they actually appear is still anybody's guess ??? ??? ???

i drove a 7740 when they were first released & way before the sle was an option , mater of fact it was so early dual power wasn't even a fitment or option , awfull tractor for pulling ,the usuall working gears were not well matched to the engine , too slow to keep up with the forager , the next gear was too much for the poor engine as nearly kept stalling it , that was probably it for my 40 series experience till an encounter with a 7840 & an 8240 they seemed fairly good , but didn't spend more than a few hours on either