Heavy commercial vehicle recovery

Well Friday afternoon I was round past my friends garage and three of them were giving the 10 year old body of the 8 wheeled Foden a make over.

12072009001.jpg

12072009002.jpg

Then a phone call from Mercedes to collect a fully freighted 08 plate Mercedes from Simpsons Malt from Wallace Caravans near Mintlaw which could not up raise its air suspension on the unit. Problems though the trailer is away getting fixed for the test and the T cab was needed with it for Scania to lift up the trailer and repair a damaged air bag. Plan B had to kick into action so me and Stuart went up to the yard and got the G reg Scania 143 to recover the trailer and Kenny followed with the 4 wheeler Volvo to recover the Mercedes.

Risk assessment chit chat I assume ??? ???

12072009003.jpg

Hitched to the trailer with 28 tonnes of peat on board

12072009004.jpg

12072009005.jpg

Now over and load the unit

12072009006.jpg

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the 143 handled the trailer with ease and was pumping out a nice note as we climbed the "****** brae" near the Shell building in 7th gear with the sunroof open.

Back to John R Weir and the trailer was parked up in side the yard next to an 09 plate Mercedes...19 years younger than the  143 Scania

12072009002-1.jpg

12072009003-1.jpg

12072009004-1.jpg

Now outside to unload the unit since they will not allow the driver to sleep in the cab within the yard

12072009005-1.jpg

12072009006-1.jpg

Yes Tris his drivers are all warned to drive with care. Anyway no need for any rush since most of his jobs are charged by the hour and not a priced job ;) ;)

Initially Stuart was complaining about the bulker being a bit swingy with the air suspension just different I suppose to his own one which is much lower down but much longer. It probably did the 143 good giving it a real load to haul.

Well the makeover on the big Foden is coming along but not as quickly as expected.

220709003.jpg

220709002.jpg

220709001.jpg

Ouch look what someone did to the front door as the tailswing on one of the volvos just caught it. Lucky I suppose could have been door pillar. Looks like the cab will have to have a respray now too.

220709004.jpg

The door damage is a real pain.......... one because it's aluminium, and secondly, matching up old metallic paint isn't easy. If it's fillable; at least you have a "Cut off" point where the white line is which will make life a litle easier.

I'm currently working on a 93 Foden 3265 getting it ready for the MOT. I'm about the only person on the firm that likes it. Ok it is a bit quirky and not very manoeuverable as it's a D/D six wheeler; but it has loads of character.

The suspension is half steel and half air at the back, and has the name "Peterbuilt" proudly showing on the castings. The chassis rails are steel, but all the crossmembers and front chassis brackets are ally, as is most of the cab. No rot problems there. The biggest pain of all was the door shells breaking up inside. The tops of the doors wouldn't shut tight, so when you moved it after it had been raining; water poured in the doors.  :-\

Your Foden is a fantastic looking bit of kit, and I would love one like it as a big boys toy. One day perhaps........... when my wife wins the lottery.  ;)  :)

saw both the big local recovery wagons down this way today, the big 8 legger like your foden, but a scanny, belonging to feild services, and saltash dafs, daf 8 legger to, nothing flash paint job wise mind like your mates, sure field services have another scanny with a nice paint job to mind

The door damage is a real pain.......... one because it's aluminium, and secondly, matching up old metallic paint isn't easy. If it's fillable; at least you have a "Cut off" point where the white line is which will make life a litle easier.

I'm currently working on a 93 Foden 3265 getting it ready for the MOT. I'm about the only person on the firm that likes it. Ok it is a bit quirky and not very manoeuverable as it's a D/D six wheeler; but it has loads of character.

The suspension is half steel and half air at the back, and has the name "Peterbuilt" proudly showing on the castings. The chassis rails are steel, but all the crossmembers and front chassis brackets are ally, as is most of the cab. No rot problems there. The biggest pain of all was the door shells breaking up inside. The tops of the doors wouldn't shut tight, so when you moved it after it had been raining; water poured in the doors.  :-\

Your Foden is a fantastic looking bit of kit, and I would love one like it as a big boys toy. One day perhaps........... when my wife wins the lottery.  ;)  :)

The door damage could have been worse I suppose Will if the chap has clipped it on the door post or the corner. Stuart absolutely loathes damage and always rants if any of the drivers come back with any damage. But as one of his older part timer drivers say we don't go out with the intention to damage but sometimes the places they have to go to are tight and damage will undoubtly occur.

Hopefully she will be looking nice again but for a 1990 model will she earn money for another 10 years...who knows ??? ???

saw both the big local recovery wagons down this way today, the big 8 legger like your foden, but a scanny, belonging to feild services, and saltash dafs, daf 8 legger to, nothing flash paint job wise mind like your mates, sure field services have another scanny with a nice paint job to mind

Well Sean I would hope to see her back to her former glory within the next few weeks. Just hope he does get calls out for jobs the other motors can't handle. Next on the whrecker projects is this older Scania 111 which he recently bought.

60709003.jpg

60709001.jpg

60709002.jpg

Oh and offcourse a rear winch and front weight box for this beastie

MISC010709002.jpg

What's the plan with the 8 wheeler then, Bill? Just purely a tart up job or will it see any new colours or add-ons at all? Mr Walker is certainly a dab hand with a spanner or a rubbing pad. He must love that workshop. I look forward to the 1 series Scania being put indoors. What's the story with the recovery body fitted to it?

What's the plan with the 8 wheeler then, Bill? Just purely a tart up job or will it see any new colours or add-ons at all? Mr Walker is certainly a dab hand with a spanner or a rubbing pad. He must love that workshop. I look forward to the 1 series Scania being put indoors. What's the story with the recovery body fitted to it?

Well I think it is purely a freshen up for the Foden Tris and it will be going back in the same colours. Stuart is a good all rounder despite the fact that he actually served his time as a cabinet maker before going to work for his father in his haulage business and got into mechanicing and body work and paint spraying before they fell out and then was sacked by dad.

On the 111 First Bus had it and had the body and winches and zak lift fitted but for what ever reason did not get the cab done. The zak lift and winches have not been used in fact the legs have never been down. They appear to just pull everything in with a bar.

its good to see foden's and old school scanias still out earning their keep, dont let marky see that massey though :o

My friend believes in using older tackle because it is cheaper and probably more reliable to use. I think Marky may have seen it in another post I did.

They may have found it difficult to get anything under the front of a bus, Bill. Especially these new curb hight models for wheelchairs/prams etc. Got a decent bit of kit on the bakc atleast anyway. Seems odd that it looks all ship shape with a rusty old cab 'thrown' on the front though.

Yes could well have been Tris. Stuart dreads bused because they are so low. Usually they go on the lowloader trailer but great carer needs to be taken when winching on especially for catching the rear. more than often need wooden battens under the rear wheels to get height to avoid damage. These type of jobs aren't easy on his own so that is were an unpaid hand like me comes in handy ;) ;)

Yes the cab needs quite a bit of work but he has been able to source new wings from the Scania factory fronts only. He can't get a grill at present but that would be a simple thing to make. The biggest problem at present is with the clutch but as I have said to him unless that works the motor is useless. I suppose he always has the gear on the back to use but he is keen to get another older Scania earning money.

first bus down here just have a contract with a locla company for recovery bill, they use a old ford cargo  i think with a big tool box on the back ,and a tow bar, thats it no winchs ect on it

Yes you don't really need anything too too fancy if its a straight forward breakdown and the bus is on the road and not tipped over in a field or ditch etc Sean.

Recoveries can be an expensive things for businesses unless there vehicles are still under warranty and thereby covered by the main dealer. I know of one company in Aberdeen the Shore Porters Society a removal firm that was established in 1498. They always used to do there own recoveries if they could. the mechanic simply went out with a flat bed lorry and a bar and got the warehouse man to load pallets of sugar etc on the back for added weight ;D ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was round past my friends yard on Friday afternoon and it not often you see three of the six recovery motors lined up outside the inner yard.

Volvo FM12 and Foden 4375 which has been called into action since the other Foden is undergoing a refurbishment.

09082009001.jpg

09082009003.jpg

And then the Foden next to the T cab which hasn't got its promised Summer chassis repaint ;) ;)

09082009002.jpg

any reason hes not painted the t cab the same met blue & white as the others in the fleet then mate???

Well Sean despite the fact the paintwork was very faded when we picked it up it buffed up well and there were no dents or bashes only a couple of minor stone chips so i think that is one of the reasons he decided to get it in that colours. In addition there are another 2 T cabs in blue in the area so maybe he wants to be different from them ;D ;D

896622ee.jpg

Misc120209005.jpg

Misc24032009001.jpg

Misc09042009.jpg

Archived