Heavy commercial vehicle recovery

Well the Scania 111 is now in the shed and Stuart's son Lewis was at the yard yesterday and was doing a bit of spraying. He is only 8 and well has to learn!!!. Dad said he had the sense to stick rags in the lights but he still needs to learn how to spray rims and not tyres. But as his dad said he was happy and kept him out of mischief despute using a can of dad's chrome spray at £ 6 a can !!!  Mind you his dad had been too busy playing around with his new 6 wheeled timber tractor Foden

14102009011.jpg

14102009012.jpg

14102009013.jpg

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was round past Stuart's yard on the way home yesterday and Ronnie had just parked up the Scania 143 and trailer for the day. It's being pressed back into service for a few days whilst the T cab is off the road. It's away to get more shiny bits on it.... some alumium tool boxes  and a cat walk.

When i asked Ronnie if he liked the 1434 it was a resounding not really since it was too noisy with those stacks and it wasn't as comfortable and quite as the T cab. Mind you Ronnie is not really a Scania fan and is a Volvo man!!!

15102009001.jpg

15102009002.jpg

nice pics as per bill, like the 111, we used to let the tyres down then slip a few sheets of newspaper into the bead for the wheel respray, inflate the tyres to spray then dampen the paper to just it come off, saved damaging the wheels to refit tyres !

can undersatnd the reaction to the 143 as well , i think the 3series cab was better to the 4 series , but they were a harsh ride at the best of times

Thanks for the spraying wheels tip Marcus...I'll pass it on to young Lewis.

I can't recall what his dad does if he using old tyres but I seem to remember he pained on somekind of gundge on the tyres but I can't remember what its called.

Despite the T cab Scania being a comfier and quiter motor to sit in the 143 V8 has a great roar to it.

Well had the day off yesterday and after a late breakfast I had a look down to Stuart’s yard where Ronnie was looking at the T cab trailer and a problem with lights. Ended up giving him a hand and we discovered the root of the problem was the junction box was craked at the back and well the box had a fair amount of water and dirt around the terminals. A wash out with WD 40 and a swap out to a larger box should do the trick. Stuart then arrived back and got a call for the recovery of a Mercedes Sprinter DHL van from their airport depot at Dyce. Off me and Ronnie set in the Blue Volvo for yet another unreliable Mercedes Sprinter. The amount that have been taken into John R Weir lately is unreal and I getting to know quite a few of the staff.

23102009001.jpg

23102009002.jpg

23102009003.jpg

23102009004.jpg

• 3 months later...

Yesterday afternoon I was round past my friends garage and he was busy puting the finishing touches to this 1990 John Cooper Mini for his step daughter which needs to be completed before her 17th birthday on March 31st. I know this is not heavy vehicle recovery but someone mentioned a Mini Cooper in an earlier post so I have kept it here instead of opening a new post since I don't have start to finish photos on the project.

In the early stages getting new wings sills and panels etc

14102009001.jpg

14102009002.jpg

14102009003.jpg

The front seats ready to go in. They have been re upholstered with red leather instead of the black cloth to match the red carpets.

27102010001.jpg

27102010002.jpg

Rear seat again done in red leather like the front ones

27102010003.jpg

Again the walnut dash would nit have been standard on this version

27102010004.jpg

Personally I would have had that engine out done the engine bay and also cleaned the engine but well where do you stop :-\ :-\

27102010009.jpg

27102010010.jpg

27102010011.jpg

The original wheels which have been refurbished and now look like new. They were in a terrible state. Think Stuart said £ 375 for new ones and these were refurbished for £ 25 a piece ;D ;D

27102010012.jpg

that mini looks awesome! i took an R reg John Cooper mini out for a test drive 2 years ago when i was car shopping, 1.3mpi with 90bhp... was very quick, but very very unsafe in a crash... but i ended up buying a 1.4gti metro at 104bhp. that was even quicker, and equally unsafe. sold it for £300 and bought a 55plate 1.1 citroen c2, only 63bhp but 4 * crash safety..

anyway ive got a fair collection of AA memorabilia, i'll put up some pics when im home from uni!

great topic as always Bill.

Well personally I think it is the wrong choice of 17 year old girl. I just hope she is careful and manages to keep it between the dykes.

I dare not hazzard a quess at how much has been spent on this car but I must admit it is turning out better than I thought it would.

My friend hired out part of his workshop to a panel beater who was starting on his own. He did all the panel work and then got one of his mates a paint sprayer to spray it. Well you have never seen such a mess from a professional sprayer who actually sprays Porsches where he works. I'll admit my pal doesnt have a proper spray booth but there is adequate lighting and two extractors. The problem was that the sprayer did not have the car up on the air ramp and had been blowing dirt from the floor which should have been wetted down earlier.

Anyway when Stuart spoke to the panel better about the mess of the job he told his mate and then well the panel better took the huff and left. He wanted to start on his own and I don't think many would have got the use of a garage and tools etc to get going as he did. Mind you probably best in the long run that he is an employee and not self employed since he did not have a lot of get up and go or much business acumen.

Meanwhile the painter did come back and buff up some of the car but Stuart has had to finish of a rather botched spray job from start to finsh. As I said to my pal he would have been far better doing the job himself if he had more time.

He is now eager to get the Mini finished so he can get one of his older Scammels in there to complete the restoration on that.

Hi all first post,that Mini looks really smart.It looks like a RSP Cooper which was one of the first Rover built Mini Coopers,they are quite rare as they are the first run with the 1275 engine with carburettor fueling,after these the engines were fitted with single point injection and laterly the multi point engine which actually the slowest Mini to wear the Cooper badge.So its quite a sought after car that should ideally be treasured,and left standard.

One more boring bit stick some decent tyres on it,this will improve the handling no end.

Welcome aboard minipete you certainly know more about mini's than me. I assume you have one or maybe more ??? ???

I have to agree I would have gone for a more original restoration and would have avoided things like red leather on the seats and the walnut dash to name but two. It surprises me that Stuart has gone this route because certainly in his vintage lorry fleet he goes for originality.

Mind you it is his car and he can do as he pleases... I mean a restorer could paint it "tartan" if he so wished ;) ;)

Tyres well what would you suggest ???

I'll tell my pal thanks. Given the amount he has spent to date on this project I'm sure a set of those won't break his bankie ;) ;)

How about opening up a new post within general discussion and show us and tells us about your minis. There are car and lorry anoraks on here as well as tractor ones ;D ;D

Goon, sorry but a 90bhp Mpi Mini must have been seriously tweeked,which would of certainly caused emission problems for the MOT.

yeh the seller had tweeked it so it could keep up with his mates 1.3 cooper s works (induction, cams, manifold, cat, back and throttle body- don't quote me on that it was over 2 years ago now..) i didnt buy it, just had a test drive so i never had it MOT'd...

too unsafe in a crash for me. i don't know what he could do to make it more safe Bill, other than a full race cage.... but he's not really going for that look haha

• 2 weeks later...

Was round past my pals yard this afternoon and well after a year with the dodgy 4th gear in the gear box the T cab eventually came to a halt. A replacement / exchange box was obtained and fitted but not the easiest task since of course the T cab doesn't have a tilt cab. Was done over the pit as a homer by a Scania mechanic who had the special trolley to roll out the old and roll in the new. Took two of them 6 hours and that was after someone had everything basically slackened and ready for removal.

That hasn't put Stuart of T cabs because he is currently looking to purchase another one. A bit older than the present on but red in colour and what is he going to do with it....well he wants to stretch it and make it a wrecker using the gear of the Scania 111 which he is now planning to restore as one for his classic collection and not the working fleet.

08022010001.jpg

08022010002.jpg

08022010003.jpg

Archived