Cerin's Ferguson Te-20 --- Flossie , Massey Ferguson 165 And Nuffield DM4?

Massey Boy

Yes it did, but it dosnt matter now as some one took that plough  :of

I got a proper fergy one now  ;)

Just a littel update, got flossie out today and shes still going might have to split her at some point as the clutch is a bit dodgy but other than that alls good!

Cerin I remember me and dad splitting my 1956 TEF20 and it was a bigger job than we first anticipated but a new clutch plate made all the difference. The old one wasn't worn but impregnated with oil that had been leaking from the gearbox. That was easily rectified with a gear box seal. I would recommend you get that seal and if in any doubt well worth replacing if you have any doubts.

That remind me I still have a TEF 20 gear box but with a bust 3 gear cog. Must put it to one of the vintage sales since no use to me.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone! Its been a long time since i have posted on the forum, since then alot has happened and ive bought 2 more tractors ::)

First of all early this year i was looking for a tractor to go through and restore as a project, so when the massey 165 came up on a local farm just off the yard scraper i soon snapped it! She is rather rought so theres plenty to do, i havnt really started anything on her yet but tha main thinks that need attention are, brakes and clutch. Costmetically she needs a full respray and new back wings and the back wheel rims are a ***** worse for wear . I think its from 1967 cause the date registered on the V5 is 20/03/67. My plan is to do her right up to show condition, might take a while haha

264257_3267143296077_161419297_n.jpg

Heres a more recent picture of Flossie the Te-20 parked next to an new holland tl100a from where i used to work , shes going well but is need of a few bits like new spark plug leads!

416964_2341783042649_1742241909_n.jpg

Now onto the Nuffield i only brought this one a few weeks, and to be quiet honest i am not even sure its a DM4 but i think thats it ;D  The previous owner stored it where i work, and i got it offered to me at a good price so i brought it. There are a few littel problems but they wont take too much to sort, i am hope to do it up so its in working condition. Its road registered and all so it will be good for road runs!

post-1203-0-70813900-1356346705_thumb.jp

Looks quite a restorable tractor does the 165 Cerin and with all the parts that are available you'll have no problems in bringing it back to as new. The Nuffield looks like a 3 cylinder so would be a DM3, if it's a 4 cylinder then it would be a DM4. good luck with them. New sparkplug leads (HT leads) for Flossie will be no problem for you, you can buy the lead by the metre but when you do, make sure that you get the black type with the copper wire core. If you have trouble getting it I have a 100 metre roll of the stuff.

Looks quite a restorable tractor does the 165 Cerin and with all the parts that are available you'll have no problems in bringing it back to as new. The Nuffield looks like a 3 cylinder so would be a DM3, if it's a 4 cylinder then it would be a DM4. good luck with them. New sparkplug leads (HT leads) for Flossie will be no problem for you, you can buy the lead by the metre but when you do, make sure that you get the black type with the copper wire core. If you have trouble getting it I have a 100 metre roll of the stuff.

Yeah thats what i thought Tim easy enough to get the parts and its worth spending the money! And yeah now you have said that it dose look like a 3 cylindar looking at the exsaust manifold, DM3 it must be! Yeah cheers for the info i think i can get hold of some, i will make sure its the stuff you have said about first!

Cerin...are you sure it is a 3 pot and not a 4 pot  :huh: . It's doesn't look like the Nuffield 3 to me since I am not aware of them have the sliding rear hubs but I could be wrong. If it is a DM 4  them it earlier than October 1957 the age of my one since yours has earlier front wheels. There should be a gold / black coloured plate on the front right hand side of the main engine chassis if you follow my description. However not all these plates survive. If it has a plate could you let me have the details please and I will be able to find out more information from my Nuffield books. The Nuffield 4 were fast on the road so good for road runs but the chances are your steering could require attention...is it slack and wobbly :huh:

Cerin...are you sure it is a 3 pot and not a 4 pot  :huh: . It's doesn't look like the Nuffield 3 to me since I am not aware of them have the sliding rear hubs but I could be wrong. If it is a DM 4  them it earlier than October 1957 the age of my one since yours has earlier front wheels. There should be a gold / black coloured plate on the front right hand side of the main engine chassis if you follow my description. However not all these plates survive. If it has a plate could you let me have the details please and I will be able to find out more information from my Nuffield books. The Nuffield 4 were fast on the road so good for road runs but the chances are your steering could require attention...is it slack and wobbly :huh:

Well i am just going by the photo, the looks of things theres only 3 ports going out on the exsaust manifold! There is a V5 for it which i havnt got yet so that will have the date when it was registered on it, i will see if i can find the plate on it mate. I remeber seeing one i think, but wont be able to find out till after christmas as its at work! Yeah thats right, and the steering dose need attension its rather slack and wobbely haha!

Cerin...here is a photo of my one and yes it does lock like a 3 potter but I can assure you it a a 45 HP 4 potter...so I think you do have a DM4 or 4DM. 

1182008380.jpg

You will see it has 4 injectors and the brass plate should be down from the front light  behind one of my club badges

1182008383.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hurry on back to work Cerin ;D  ;D

I look forward to seeing and hearing about your Nuffield..they are much rarer than many many more tractor makes

Had a look on friday i only just remebered! Yep she is a DM4 ;D  The serial number is NT16 18, dunno if you can find anything out with it but anything would be apreciated mate :)

At last I have dug out my Marshall, Leyland & Nuffield book by Allan.T Condie and the late John Melloy. This tractor is intriguing me since the book would indicate NT 16 18 was originally a VO ( vapourising oil ( TVO ) tractor ) Model M having a prefix NT beginning at NT 501 and ending NT 15508. Your photo does not indicate a temperature gauge on the bonnet and the engine does look like a diesel one that is fitted to my DM4. I'm wondering if your tractor has had a replacement engine :huh:

Any chance or emailing me with some more high resolution photos so i can investigate further to satisfy my curiosity :huh:

P1000207.jpg

P1000208.jpg

P1000209.jpg

P1000229.jpg

I can see the DM 4 on the plate but not the number Cerin.....I'll need to go back a dig deeper since it is certainly an older version than my one.

You can see it clearly in the picture below :)  The v5 is about some where so if i get hold of that it will have when it was road registered might give an idear of when it was built!

post-1203-0-58508500-1358079179_thumb.jp

Thanks Cerin that's a clearer picture....I will try and research more ..all I can say at present it is earlier than my one which was registered on the 31st October 1957 ;D  ;D ...good to see another Nuffield owner one here and yes they have long legs and a good burst of speed for road runs 8)