Cerin's Ferguson Te-20 --- Flossie , Massey Ferguson 165 And Nuffield DM4?

Massey Boy

I am trying to get insurance for Cerin to drive Flossie at rallies but they won't cover people of his age. Has any one got any advice on this? thanks from Jo

Nowadays most rallies I attend don't allow anyone to drive any type of vehicle they don't hold an appropriate license for. So in the case of a tractor that would be 16 assuming one has passed ones tractor test.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are under 16 years of age and do not hold a provisional driving license and have not passed your test you can't drive a tractor either on the road or on a show field or rally. You can only drive a tractor on your own premises at the age of 13. You can only get insurance in your own name for a vehicle, in this case a tractor, when you have attained your 16th birthday and would have to be insured by a parent or guardian who's name would be on the policy as 'the insured'.

The ruling has changed I'm afraid for rallies regardless of what you have printed on your insurance policy and you cannot drive a tractor on the site without having passed your test regardless of your age  weather or not you have the landowners permission. In these instances it is considered a 'public place' and the highway laws come into effect.

Cerin, as promised here is the contact details for my local Ferguson Group who put on demonstrations and static displays with the grey Fergies in Hampshire.  I know this is out of your area but they can probably point you in the right direction for Somerset

Friends of Ferguson Heritage (Hampshire) -

Dave Piper 07775 611616 (think he is the secretary)

Debbie Goddard 02380 600967

I am also annoyed that I missed the show last weekend.  I thought it was this coming weekend.  Grrrr. >:(

I have insurance through/with Walker Midgley Insurance Brokers. Cost is based on so much for every £1000 of sum insured, less than £10 this year :)

Permitted Drivers and Use for road driving is any person with permission and aged 17 or over with cat. F on licence. Drivers under 17 or without cat. F are permitted to drive anywhere other than on a road.

The policy holder can also drive other vintage tractors not belonging to them so long as not leased or on HP (with permission of course ;))

Permitted classes are

1. use for SDP including the carriage of passengers(?)

2. Agricultural purposes

3. Rallies, shows, working demonstrations, competitions and road runs

4. Towing

Comes with £5 000 000 public liability and legal expenses cover

As powerrabbit, I don't think you can drive around a showground, aged under 16 or without cat.F, as a public place/highway for the purpose of insurance I believe, although my insurance seems to contradict that statement.

People do though, through ignorance I suspect, but ignorance is not an excuse in the eyes of the law.

I hope this is some help to you

Question for anyone, is cat.F for 16 year olds or does everyone have to take this now? Mine came automatically when I passed my car test, quite, a few years ago, along with up to 7.5T trucks

The ruling has changed I'm afraid for rallies regardless of what you have printed on your insurance policy and you cannot drive a tractor on the site without having passed your test regardless of your age  weather or not you have the landowners permission. In these instances it is considered a 'public place' and the highway laws come into effect.

Sorrry Jo for the delay.

Are you sure about this, as our insurance Nfu CLEARLY state that if you are over the age of 13 with the landowners/organisers permistion you can drive a tractor on the show ground. I  have been driving tractors on the show field since i was 13 well a bit younger to be honest and never had any problems. Most shows, if you resposiable will let you drive on the field or round the ring etc if your 13 at least

I have insurance through/with Walker Midgley Insurance Brokers. Cost is based on so much for every £1000 of sum insured, less than £10 this year :)

Permitted Drivers and Use for road driving is any person with permission and aged 17 or over with cat. F on licence. Drivers under 17 or without cat. F are permitted to drive anywhere other than on a road.

The policy holder can also drive other vintage tractors not belonging to them so long as not leased or on HP (with permission of course ;))

Permitted classes are

1. use for SDP including the carriage of passengers(?)

2. Agricultural purposes

3. Rallies, shows, working demonstrations, competitions and road runs

4. Towing

Comes with £5 000 000 public liability and legal expenses cover

As powerrabbit, I don't think you can drive around a showground, aged under 16 or without cat.F, as a public place/highway for the purpose of insurance I believe, although my insurance seems to contradict that statement.

People do though, through ignorance I suspect, but ignorance is not an excuse in the eyes of the law.

I hope this is some help to you

Question for anyone, is cat.F for 16 year olds or does everyone have to take this now? Mine came automatically when I passed my car test, quite, a few years ago, along with up to 7.5T trucks

I think it comes with a car test, however you can pass your tractor test a 16 and drive on the road, i drive on the road now at 16 with my Cat f so i cant see how thats illgeal

I think it comes with a car test, however you can pass your tractor test a 16 and drive on the road, i drive on the road now at 16 with my Cat f so i cant see how thats illgeal

My, paper, license states minimum age as "17, + note" whatever that is ???

Thanks very much to everyone for their help with this - we have decided to go with super6's suggestion of Walker Midgley Insurance Brokers - cheapest quote by far at £36.65 - fully comp with accidental damage. And they seem to know what they are talking about!

However, I can't get anyone to quote for Cerin to be insured Adam! I tried the NFU and they said no way, and so did everyone else - it's a bit of a mystery isn't it?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

free  :o :o - you lucky lucky fella

Yep ;D:D

Don´t know how i this niss this topic :-[

You have there a beauty, i hope you will have a great time with the Te/20.

Texas

Thanks texas i will  ;)

plough as well, blimey mark has been on about a plough for ages now, and you get one in 2 months, bet you get ploughing quicker than mark to eh cerin,

nice work by you, or your mum and her skills mind

well it isnt operational yet  ;)

Yep thanks

and i bet you can plough straighter than the Lord himself!!!  ;) ;) ;):)

i exspect so :D

Well up-date today: we have been digging the plough out and have some pictures of it but will have to put them on later as i cant resize them :)

Its defently gunna need work, i dont know what make it is and what parts are missing so i will need every ones help once i get pictures on.

My plans are to cut all the nuts and bolts off it and replase with new and wire brush it all down paint it up and get it looking nice ;)