The Adventures of Marky and HATTIE the MF5480 - born 18th July 2009

Finally.. and having enlisted the help of my son (how bloody old and useless does that make me feel)... I have uploaded the DVD I was given for the composting machine...

If you've got 17 minutes or so spare.. take a look at this machine... looks very impressive to me... I'm evaluating this machine with a view to starting my long term dream of composting (in windrows and not closed vessel)... anyway..... have a look and ask any questions you like...

Part one...

Part two is still 'processing' whatever that means  ::):-[

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow :o

good job  you tube doesn't have smell a vision

It looks like a tidy machine  and its  from Cheshire ;)

I bet its not cheap though ehh. at first i thought the augers looked like  they were a bit thin  and would wear pretty fast but after seeing it  grind up the logs  and all the wood i think i changed my opinion on that .

It does a really good job of mixing and grinding it altogether

Thx for showing us Mark

Havn't watched the footage yet Mark but I just read an article in AME magazine about my old employer, Agrivert. Big into static site composting and spreading across Oxon, Herts and others.

If you're going into spreading. . . . . . erm. . . . . What are house prices like up your way. . . . ?

:D :D - music not chosen by me.. honest Gov...

In short... my plans are this...

I have access to a good 50-75t per week of fruit & veg waste including fruit and root veg... also a small qty of green waste weekly (just a few tonnes per week at the present time)..

I have an outlet for all my F & V waste at the moment so to 'divert' from this waste stream and into a composting system is simple and can be 'adjusted' to suit the green waste input.

PROVIDED you are composting wood, green waste, paper, cardboard and Fruit & Vegetable waste ONLY... then you can trade under an exemption to the DEFRA rules which means you can compost in windrows as apose to an 'in-vessel' method which has to be deployed in all other composting involving food wastes.

We would charge to collect greenwaste from the local area (trade and Public)... as well as open a reception centre for taking in gren waste deliveries too.

I have a local farmer who wants to use his land.. so things are looking promising at the moment

there's one being pulled between the bath / tetbury / stroud area mark , & working well by all accounts , hauled by a fastrac, & visits all the local schools & playing fields & municipal parks where ever the council have contracted the workout to , to collect tree thinnings , grass cuttings etc looked a fair bit of kit , but it looked pretty battlescarred , it may well chomp tree limbs,logs & pallets , but id try to avoid them if at all poss, what ever the the one i followed had been fed certainly didnt agree with it , well not going by the ammount of bulges dents & metal patches welded to it  :o

so if you get to buy one of these at an astranomical price & it doesn't quite work out ,you'll soon be the proud owner of a 4 berth caravan & a house reposession order  :D :D

Pallet waste isn't a problem, nails don't compost so I shouldn't you'll be worrying too much about taking on pallets :D

I was thinking the same tris,

Whay use this machine to compost mark, why not strat of the old school way, pile and turn to get the ball rolling then buy this when you get into the market proper?

The machine has a powerful magnet on the unloading spout to remove nails.

This machine mixes and blends the product Nick.. then you output it to windrows and let nature do it's stuff... with a little turning once a week.

blimey i doubt that thing would stop for much once its going, pallets even telegraph poles are mince meat for that

wood up to 180mm evidently... after that it's good for logs anyway... so I'll sell them to Trissy  :D :D

I myself am trying to start a new busness up, hence my questions/negitivity

can you start out with a wood chipper and a mixer wagonand chipp it in to the wagon and start off like that till your established and have a flow of customers?  Hvae you got any space to lay the mounds out, i understand they need a fair bit of space, and how do you turn the compost? most around here have huge turning machines that straddle the rows

I know that all sounds negative but im intersted on a serious note, its a bloody good idea but a very costly one if it goes wrong.