A Blast From The Past - In The Hay in Stirlingshire

James T

100_2451.jpg

You may wonder where I've been hiding, but this is the first Lely Golden Pheasant I've seen working in 25 years!  I still have many fond memories of seeing one in a small field near my house which was the closest I could get to farm machinery in the town I stayed in.  I still have fond memories of seeing it at work. 

Now for a Hayzip:

100_2453.jpg

100_2462.jpg

100_2464.jpg

The PTO shaft must have fallen off this one  ;)

100_2468.jpg

wow , 3 in a day ! good to see some of these old machines kept well enough to be a valuable part of the season , the last time i saw a complete one of these was in 2002 rusting away peacefully at the back of a leaky bramble covered barn  :)

also glad to see not everythings 4wd , finding two 2wd 390's working together makes a good pic

great pictures  :)

I thought Flying Pheasants were mounted...? I think this is a C*ock pheasant as it's trailed, ...' remember having frustrating problems trying to post about them before with the censorship!!!  :D

Come to think of it though did the C*ck Pheasant have solid doors? We had the Vicon Fan-Ted.

I thought Flying Pheasants were mounted...? I think this is a C*ock pheasant as it's trailed, ...' remember having frustrating problems trying to post about them before with the censorship!!!   :D

Come to think of it though did the C*ck Pheasant have solid doors? We had the Vicon Fan-Ted.

trailed versions were cock pheasants i seem to remember them with tines for rowing up windrows. there were two versions of trailed machines ,first version could handle two 5ft swaths  and the bigger version two 6ft swaths-i have brochures for them both.remember loads of them in my youth. nicholsons robin hood tedders had swathing doors as did bamfords big wuffler which looked like lely cock pheasant and handled two 5ft swaths- of course the original wuffler was a one row machine with swath doors. nigel how effective at picking up was the vicon fan-ted ???.

trailed versions were Willy pheasants i seem to remember them with tines for rowing up windrows. there were two versions of trailed machines ,first version could handle two 5ft swaths  and the bigger version two 6ft swaths-i have brochures for them both.remember loads of them in my youth. nicholsons robin hood tedders had swathing doors as did bamfords big wuffler which looked like lely Willy pheasant and handled two 5ft swaths- of course the original wuffler was a one row machine with swath doors. nigel how effective at picking up was the vicon fan-ted ???.

Any chance of you putting up the brochures on the board at some point, Nick?  Would love a look!  :)

Nice to see all these old machines working. The pheasant does a very good job at tedding, and looks well looked after. If you have the time or staff; using thes old machines makes sense all the time spares are available. They do a very good job of "Teasing" out windrows, especially behind an Acrobat, which had a tendency to "Rope" the grass if it was long and heavy. It used to be annoying when you ease up to let the baler "Catch up" and watch the row disappear from beside the tractor, followed by a bang as the PTO shearbolt went.  >:(

The Fan Ted's were good on ground that tended to be stony. They had belting mounted tines and as the name says, they used a fan action to lift the crop which did the job well.

Oh to have the money to buy a smallish farm, and do the jobs with sixties kit. Ok, it took longer, but was very satisfying when it was all completed.  :)

Some of our fields were still in warp-lands (the old ridge & furrow) for some years after we bought our farm in the late 60s that hadn't been ploughed for 50 years or so, so the tines on a C*ck pheasant or similar (we had a Vicon Speeder tedder before the Fan-ted which was like the C*ck Pheasant but un-hooded and only kicked backwards, so quite slow) would have been stripped off in no time and played havoc with the baler. As Will states the rubberised fabric-mounted sets of 4 solid tines were almost unbreakable on this sort of terrain, though as most tedders, other than a genuine "PZ HAYBOB", if it picked up a lump, from the Acrobat's cornering perhaps, it went back out as a lump, as it didn't have the "keel" to tease out against that made the PZ so much better for even spreading.

Couple of wonderful postcard shots in there, James. Beautiful.

The numberplate on the 390 is great. I havn't seen a one of those Lely's working since the old boy with the David Brown packed up behind our house. International baler, no sledge. Hand loaded his hay cart into his 70's. When he got to the top layer he'd stand up and throw boiled swets across the field to keep us busy while he was gone. Oh the memories  :'( :) :)