East Ayton Vintage Working Day 2009

The Tractor Twitcher

Ok so it perhaps wasn't the greatest move on either organiser's part to end up with two events on 20 miles apart on the same day, but I guess sometimes there's reasons for this being unavoidable, it did mean though both events didn't appear to be anywhere near as well attended as they have been in years gone by.

The first event I attended yesterday was at East Ayton near Scarborough that was raising money for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance. It had a small selection of static and working exhibits including a good friend of my Dad's out for a play with his Massey Ferguson 154C crawler, more on this machine later.

First up a selection of the cars on display:

DSC05790.jpg

DSC05791.jpg

DSC05792.jpg

DSC05793.jpg

DSC05794.jpg

DSC05795.jpg

Now I do like the Mini pick up and that Albion lorry. Lovely shiny boards on the plough behind the MF crawler...the secret to good ploughing I'm told ;) ;)

My Dad took quite a fancy to the Mini pick up Bill, it reminded him of the one he used to thrash around the forests back up on the family farm in his youth. :)

It's quite a contraption now that plough Bill. I was told it originally started life as an oat seed furrow high cut type plough equipped with all the extra "boats" and attachments. But was found in a state of such poor repair that the chap who now owns it decided to add one or two user friendly modifications to it. It does work rather well. :) 

now theres a sticker i havnt seen in a while, thurlow nunn, downham market, we got all our fergys from them over the years they had a white disc version after the black plain one from memory

Glad it brought back memories Sean. I always take an interest in dealer's stickers and serial number plates, particularly if they're on a machine that isn't common to the area, I'm certainly not aware of any other MF crawlers working or in preservation around here so I was more than a little curious as to where this machine had originally come from.