Joe's new European farm!

CX820Joe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably will do that Paul - need to know also if a Manure spreader would be needed with min till?

again i can only go by what we used to do,which was human sludge spread by the waterboard which used a rogator before i cultivated ,which was min till,but definately not every field was spread though,not many arable farms have a manure spreader although i new a couple that did but the majority hired in or used the waterboard service

Probably will do that Paul - need to know also if a Manure spreader would be needed with min till?

With the amount of gear yoiu need to buy already Joe I wouldn't bother. Let a contractor do it and leave your tractors free to turn it (the manure) into the soil. Had you mentioned livestock  ???

So you won't need a dungspreader anyway then  :D  Unless you cut a straw for muck deal with the neighbour  ;)

What you may want to do though is get that big Joskin tanker from ROS and make a dribble bar for it so that you can collect pig slurry or cattle slurry and apply it to growing crops. Seen it done in Denmark with a big Fendt in wheat.  8)

had a sprot through what I have before and discovered I have a Britains Samson Slurry injector still - though the Joskin would probably be a better option.

Discovered I still have a Siku MF 5455 and a Siku Joskin trailer, which I had completely forgot about!  Perhaps time to call Cheffins in for redundant tackle!!! :D

Good to hear from you Martin,

I will probably sell the 5455 to be honest...scratching my head as to what to use as a run around, but it ought to be something not massively powerful and older.  Haven't established the tractor fleet for definite, but might be something like this;

1 JD 9530T

2 JD 8430T

1 JD 8530

1 JD 7930

1 JD 7530

1 JD 6930

Was reading with interest Neil's thread on Chaser Bins...I will probably be running 2 combines and at the moment my trailers are one Dangreville, and 2 Maupu - do you reckon I need another trailer, and a Chaser Bin as well?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still got this on the back burner! I am going to use the 2 tracked Deeres I already have plus get one extra then they will carry out all the tillage - my plan is for 2 JD 8 series to haul a Vaderstad Topdown each, and then the 9530T to haul the drill.  Just need to add the implements as funds permit. 

Still got this on the back burner! I am going to use the 2 tracked Deeres I already have plus get one extra then they will carry out all the tillage - my plan is for 2 JD 8 series to haul a Vaderstad Topdown each, and then the 9530T to haul the drill.  Just need to add the implements as funds permit.

That sounds as though that will be one impressive field scene Joe  :of  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking that in addition to the 3 Siku Schluters, that the farm might also have the 2000 and 2500 as well as the modern Deeres...the big Schluters could also handle the Maupu trailers and I shouldn't have to worry too much about another wheeled JD then...I will get some work done on this at some point, just hardly seem to get a moment to myself these days with one thing and another!

Well, that did cross my mind when I saw it I must say...it all happens while your away doesn't it?  Was on nights all weekend and didn't check into the forum so missed that the 3080 was coming...always had a soft spot for that model I must say.  Would ideally like a JD 7810 as well, might have to look approach one of the convo experts I think.

• 9 months later...

I have been having some more thought on this recently - its still something I intend to do, and have been looking around France and Germany on google street view to find some inspiration, but so far haven't found anything that catches my eye.

I don't think I would need an awful lot more machinery now, though still have to get another tracked JD (8345RT catches my eye) and then the Vaderstad Topdowns, then theres a sprayer (poss the JD SP one) and then to decide whether to get a beet harvester.  Will probably get another wheeled JD, and then tractor fleet is sorted (with the Schluters as heritage stuff).

Not bothering with the Fendt combine, the T670i and the Lexion will do, although if the forthcoming Lexion 770 is a good model then may have to px the 600...

A volvo car to zoom around the highways and look at crops and go to meetings and pick up the kids!

Well I considered a Volvo S80 that was very cheap - but it was pull back and go!  Theres a reasonable Jaguar XF in 1/32 but not much choice to be honest...wonder if theres a 1/32 scale push bike?

Right I think I've got a reasonably solid plan for what this farm will consist of; I am still undecided which Country to base it in, and am leaning towards it being fairly generic to be honest.  It will be completely arable of around 11000-12000 acres growing cereal crops and Sugar beet in the main.  I was considering potatoes as well, but theres not enough planting kit readily available so will leave it for the time being. 

I will use the JD T670i and Lexion 600 (to cover around 5000 acres) and need to get a Ropa beet harvester for the beet acreage.  There may be the odd bit of grass for hay in small paddocks, that sort of thing.

I am still going with the mainly min-till policy, with tracked Deeres (8345RT/8430T) on Vaderstad Topdowns with a 9530T in charge of the Vaderstad drill.  So as to provide a little more variety though, some of the land will be ploughed or disced, and therefore allow some golden oldie Tractors to put in appearances.  The farm owner will have a penchant for Schluters so I can use the 5 I have on the layout also.

I have three trailers at present - a Ros 32T Dangreville, and 2 Maupu 23 tonners - will these be enough to serve the 2 combines, would you think?  In addition to the tracked Deeres and the heritage tractors, I have a Deere 7930, and am considering an 8360R also.  There are various other bits of kit I need to get (manure spreaders etc) and I am still deciding which sprayer to have (the Britains Deere example tempting on grounds of cost). 

I will try not to post here as much until I actually have something done - 4 pages without a single photo is not really something to be proud of!

Joe