sprayer discussion

archbarch

i would guess most farms only have 2 or 3 different nozzle types, in the UK everyone seems to see low volume as the answer to sprayer workrates, i dont see no matter what nozzle manufacturers claim you can achieve adequate  coverage of the target.

It is impossible to follow guidelines to the word thats why there guidelines.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UK farmers do spray at speeds much higher than on the continent and much of the land is more undulating. Go onto the continent and you'll find huge sprayers with wide booms behind smaller older tractors than you'll ever find in the UK. Sprayers and designed and built for more than just the UK by most manufacturers. Granted there are many small UK sprayer makers. Just trying to say as with many situations think Global not just British.

• 1 month later...

i read in this weeks Farmers Weekly that Gem sprayers are set to make a comeback in the UK and Europe after being dropped by Case a few years ago, only mounted and trailed models, however they are going to built in Hungary would have been good to see production to come back to the UK

Why use the higher cost UK to build the models? Many British manufacturers are building kit in lower cost countries. The directors have seen an opportunity to resurrect the Gem name and design and will be able to market the sprayers at a competitive price. Of course if the pound continues to fall against the Euro then many companies will be rethinking the outsourcing.

i read in this weeks Farmers Weekly that Gem sprayers are set to make a comeback in the UK and Europe after being dropped by Case a few years ago, only mounted and trailed models, however they are going to built in Hungary would have been good to see production to come back to the UK

Thats interesting (haven't seen this weeks FW yet). If I remember right, Hungary is where most of them were being built before.  It was only the Sapphire (and finishing off the other machines) that was carried out at Hykeham in the last few years under Case-IH.

Just my own opinion, but I think we make plenty of perfectly good sprayers in the UK, and we don't need yet another import.

Why use the higher cost UK to build the models? Many British manufacturers are building kit in lower cost countries. The directors have seen an opportunity to resurrect the Gem name and design and will be able to market the sprayers at a competitive price. Of course if the pound continues to fall against the Euro then many companies will be rethinking the outsourcing.

All very well, except for the fact that the UK isn't higher cost anymore.  Since the pound has effectively been devalued, the UK has become a much more attractive place to make things - hence partly the reason for this weeks news from Spyker that production of their cars will transfer to the UK from Holland next year (OK, they only make about 40 a year, but it's nice to have some positive news for once  [img alt=:)]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif )

The trouble is while we make good sprayers in this country, justifying the extra cost to buy a British built machine is a problem, a 3000l 24m Knight machine is now more than £42500 whereas the European built John Deere and Berthoud machines are considerably cheaper as we've recently found out at work :-\

I would agree with that in some ways but on a small farm like ours if you said there was £10000 difference in price between say a Knight and a John Deere sprayer thats alot of money that could be spent elsewhere in the machinery fleet when you have other items in need of upgrading, in our case trailers. I know its proving a difficult decision to make at the minute for my boss

the farm i was on has a challenger rogator they were very pleased with it,cant remember the timetable for spraying ,we had wheat and rape,any of you guys could help me with the timings of spraying,i didnt spray i was on the bowser

when you refer to timings is that crop or pesticide?

the farm where i was spraying in the late 80s used the little and often approach, small amounts of chemical every couple of weeks. from drilling to harvest the sprayer wasnt parked up for more than a week, no matter what the crop. very intense but good results really the best approach in my opinion.

however farming has changed and not many practice this anymore.

the farm where i was spraying in the late 80s used the little and often approach, small amounts of chemical every couple of weeks. from drilling to harvest the sprayer wasnt parked up for more than a week, no matter what the crop. very intense but good results really the best approach in my opinion.

however farming has changed and not many practice this anymore.

I prefer this approach too to a certain extent, but I think a farm should be able to spray all of it's wheat in about 2 days - many big operations near me with 32m sprayers struggle to do it in a week. It's a bit like combines - one big machine to do all the acres, then get more acres........

the sprayer is the most used bit of kit on any modern arable farm but too many farms are under capacity, not just with the sprayer but filling and organisation.

I'd agree with that - we have just bought a few IBC tanks to put on the ends of sheds for this reason - will fill the sprayer twice as quick.

I'd agree with that - we have just bought a few IBC tanks to put on the ends of sheds for this reason - will fill the sprayer twice as quick.

My problem isn't water supply now but measuring ingredients then rinsing containers, especially on low water volumes and when pesticide is supplied in 1lt containers.......... :(

Doesn't help does it John, we have mountains of cans during the late spring and summer from blight spraying, a lot of 1 litre cans as its a two part one we use the most, chemical companies could help more with their packaging in my opinion

they could do so much more towards packaging, i still dont understand why everything has to have a foil seal.

Containers should be standardised some are just so awkward to clean.

Hear, hear.  After all this time of being told we must avoid any spillages, and yet far too many pesticides are still being supplied in containers from which it is impossible to decant them without them spilling/slopping down the outside of the can.  I actually got to the point a few years ago where I refused point blank to use Beetup because of this, but Beetup is far from the only one. 

There are also too many containers which are either difficult to wash out, or impossible to drain fully, often made worse by them being in inappropriately sized bottles. 

Agreed re. the foil seals too, although a few manufacturers are phasing them out now.  (I usually leave them part attached to the can, so they at least get cleaned during the can washing process, but they're still a blasted nuisance).

I did think it was moving in the powder/granule direction a few years ago, but it doesn't seem to be going much further. They are not only easier to handle, but potential for spillage is more easily controlled.  Back in the 80's some fungicide powders started coming in water soluble bags that could be simply dropped into the sprayer tank, no mess, no spillage, no risk of contamination, but these seem to have disappeared nw. 

There may be chemistry related reasons why some active ingredients can't be made solid ?  I also think that the future will possibly lie more towards closed transfer systems and reuseable containers for which liquid formulations will be better suited.

thats what made me think they had moved forward more than this, i can remember them using those bags on the farm at certain times of the year, and they were touted at the time as the way forward for safe chemical handling on the farms,  has to be a way forward with all the benifits that come with them like dispaosl of packaging, handling ,spills ect

my old boss refused to use those soluble bags mainly on mixing issues but also you dont want to climbing over a machine to drop chemical through the lid. His policy was if it dont go through the induction hopper we dont apply it.

How does everyone else deal with powders? Mix first or dry through the induction hopper.