Assorted Britains "Accessories"

MDFord

As well as the usual tractors and implements that I collect, I quite like the various other bits and pieces that britains made over the years. I thought I'd share some of them with you.

First up is set of hurdles, animal shelters & water trough set

followed by Farm Gate, Trade box of stone Walls & Farm Hedges

post-764-132639209937_thumb.jpg

post-764-132639209946_thumb.jpg

Next up is an unboxed Gate, Stile and Stone wall set with a Wattle Hurdle set

Followed by a few pieces of old lead Flint Wall and from the garden range an old fellow sat on a bench with mower, roller and wheelbarrow.

post-764-132639209956_thumb.jpg

post-764-132639209963_thumb.jpg

I like the little bits and bobs that Britains do, I also pick these up when i see them, I have trees, boxed vehicle loads, boxed sheep dip, animal pens, 2 x boxed milking parlours, boxed pig arcs, and also boxed the rare farm house and farm yard that you can turn around to make a hay barn and a boxed Riding school. These items complete the collecting experience for me, but I only collect Britains so there is a limited amount to collect.

Sounds like a nice collection - I'd like to see some pics if you ever get a chance Marmitemania  ;)

I think it's the nostalgia of buying these bits and bobs as a kid when the pocket money didn't stretch to a machinery model, that makes me like collecting them nowadays.

I will post some pictures up, but I need the wife to do it as im computer ilterate, now you have said about buying the stuff as a kid I can remeber going too the local toyshop to buy animals and people for my farm, it was great because they were sold loose so you would look through and pick out exactly what you wanted and the shopkeeper would put them in a brown paper bag, I think the cows were about 75p each, but this was the 80's. Happy times. :)

Agree about the 'accessories'. I have to find a copper beech and a weeping willow and that would complete the set as I have the rest, in early box and later hanging card and polly bag. Have not really got into the 'garden' stuff quite yet but gradually picking up bits and bobs as and when I come across it at the right price. A lot of this smaller stuff came in nice small packaging and boxes which are easy to replicate, not original I know but at least you can sort out the bits and store in 'sets' keeping it safe and identifiable. You can never have too many accessories!

Next up is an unboxed Gate, Stile and Stone wall set with a Wattle Hurdle set

Followed by a few pieces of old lead Flint Wall and from the garden range an old fellow sat on a bench with mower, roller and wheelbarrow.

I have a few of these, have you any idea what catalogue number the are?

I know you can also get interlocking wicker fences that are similar but taller and slot together instead of the hook and loop method of the wattle ones.

I like the little bits and bobs that Britains do, I also pick these up when i see them, I have trees, boxed vehicle loads, boxed sheep dip, animal pens, 2 x boxed milking parlours, boxed pig arcs, and also boxed the rare farm house and farm yard that you can turn around to make a hay barn and a boxed Riding school. These items complete the collecting experience for me, but I only collect Britains so there is a limited amount to collect.

I have this one too, though it's not a particularly good model by Britains. (I prefer the old hay barn, pine lodge stables and bungalow from the 60s/70s)

Does yours have the same earth-colour roof as shown on the box cover, or is it a cherry red one like mine?

Next up is an unboxed Gate' date=' Stile and Stone wall set with a Wattle Hurdle set

I have a few of these, have you any idea what catalogue number the are?

Wattle Hurdles came in a green and white box of 6 cat no 1720 from 1957 to 1966.

The accessories make quite a good collection on their own, once you start you find there are more than you thought, and a lot of colour/shade variations and a few changes to some of the moulds. 

I started collecting the Floral Garden (unboxed) 20 years ago, but it has become so popular now, and the prices that some people seem willing to pay for small quantities (even of common pieces), means I haven't added to it for some years now.  Strange really, because it was not a great seller when current in the 60's, and Britains dropped it after only 10 years.  Most of the trees (the first were introduced the same year as the Floral Garden) didn't survive much longer either.

They did try re-introducing a very limited range of it in 1976 as 'Lucy's Little Garden', but it was a dismal failure and was withdrawn from the catalogue at the end of 1978.  I doubt if it would perform any better now than it did then.

I thought the old gate and its new counterpart were the same until I put them together for this picture.

Heres the Hurdles that CMB mentioned earlier Plastic and Lead versions (I must have broken all the loops off the plastic ones when i was little  ::)  )

Also some FG Taylor lead fencing that I have included in the picture, as I think its very nice.

post-764-132639210038_thumb.jpg

post-764-132639210045_thumb.jpg

I thought the old gate and its new counterpart were the same until I put them together for this picture.

Heres the Hurdles that CMB mentioned earlier Plastic and Lead versions (I must have broken all the loops off the plastic ones when i was little  ::)  )

Also some FG Taylor lead fencing that I have included in the picture, as I think its very nice.

Gates also come on a green base with wheel marks etc in. The posts had slots to take the post and rail fencing. Available in white and brown and also a sort of stained brown over a grey base moulding this last one being a very early release I believe. Diagonal braces being either one or two. Post and rail fencing available in the same colours.

Plastic loops on the hurdles are easily broken off as they have to be twisted through 90 degrees to insert the next post through due to the moulding process..........two piece mould I believe.

what a smashing collecton mark and a blooming interesting topic.. many thanks for sharing... I'm just as interested in this stuff as I am in the farm models I think.

I bought a little lawnmower from mandy a while ago.. I really should buy some more and (attempt to) make a small diorama