more advice required please

jakescot

yes it`s me again..........ended up ordering a hi spec muckspreader, was best all round deal......thanks to all..................

in the same vein i have a need for a nice spare tractor,something decent  to keep the hours down a bit on my claas.........it has to be an MF  ;D ............... no , please no grief about other makes , it won`t work  :P

so I am asking for advice on something a bit above my knowledge base, bein a stock farmer until quite recently  100hp was on the bigger side round here for us small guys. I`d like something reliable in good nick and from 105 to 125 hp, older is no probs as it wouldnt work everyday to any great extent so was thinking 3085 3095, and perhaps up to a 3125 ??????if those sound about right........L to perhaps R  reg good spec , in good average condition.tyres i can replace if need be so they arent so much of an issue.

so whats most reliable, any of those tend to have big expensive to fix probs?.........and what would this sort of machine fetch in the arable areas. any readily available now.

thanks in advance

What are you actually wanting to use the tractor for John?  The 3085/3095/3125 are good tractors but they are a bit bulky in some places, would something like a 100hp 399 be more suitable being slightly smaller?

The main areas of faults with 30/31 series MF's were the gearboxes which had been known to fall apart and electrical niggles. It should be possible to pick up a decent 3085 etc for £6-10k although they may be getting up on the hours

Again depends on what you plan on using her for but I would not entertain a MF 3000 series as they have a poor gearbox and electrics reputation near me and also most will be corroded in the doors now.

A 399 would also be my first choice - I guess it is for mowing, baling and spreading dung?

thanks Gav  yes colm, it would  be used for  fertiliser spreading,mowing, muck spreading,round baling silage, possibly some light cultivations......might amount to 4/500 hrs a year....see nothin major  :P 

i have hills  and do like the idea of a 6 cyl ........ 399 would be ok but was perhaps lookin for a few more horses so if if it had lost a wee bit power there was still enough left without a major refit at  least for a yr or two................. I dont want much do I  :) 

Mark, I like the look of the 3000`s, but would not turn down anythin decent just because of the look

not too fussed about accessibility issues as i have the  590 and the celtis and 2 135`s so it wouldnt really need to poke about sheds much

thanks Gav  yes colm, it would  be used for  fertiliser spreading,mowing, muck spreading,round baling silage, possibly some light cultivations......might amount to 4/500 hrs a year....see nothin major  :P 

i have hills  and do like the idea of a 6 cyl ........ 399 would be ok but was perhaps lookin for a few more horses so if if it had lost a wee bit power there was still enough left without a major refit at  least for a yr or two................. I dont want much do I  :) 

Mark, I like the look of the 3000`s, but would not turn down anythin decent just because of the look

not too fussed about accessibility issues as i have the  590 and the celtis and 2 135`s so it wouldnt really need to poke about sheds much

In which case I'd second the oracles opinion of a 3085, the one I drove a couple of years back could pull a house down depite being 3 parts knackered. It was the 16 speed Speedshift model as well, I'd agree that this would probably be the most reliable variant for your needs instead of the Dynashift, there should be several about for reasonable money these days

good few 3000's working this way hilly area on mixed sheep cattle farms, saw two today on one 3095 and 3080, guys had them for years, would agree with the 16 gear box if you can get one, we had a 32gear version  for a couple of months on test and had issues with it so never bought it, was to replace the 699 at the time

maybe a good 699 or 698t could be usefull??

id recommend a 3085 to anyone weve had one since 1995 has over 8000 hours now no problems except a clutch and that was done 3 years ago and the radiator was replaced a month ago well built we have the 16 gear 30km box in ours only problem now is the joints under the cab are worn now and need replacing but that just wear on them nothing serious only other problem is cosmetic and its that the doors have been rotted a bit near the end but nothing major the rest is ok for rust other than that concidering the work its done just a bit on the front lower panels of the bonnet but thats just on the surface just need to touch up the paint had been the main tractor doing all fertilising slurry hauling etc until 2006 since then its been on the diet feeder but i get it away from that every so often must say she will be staying on the farm long after her replacement is gone a case mxu135 took over from her weve spent on average 1000 a year on major repairs since we bought it and she now seems to be overheating at low or even idle revs

here is a 'did you know' for you..

You can change the gears around in the gearbox and make your 16sp 30k machine into a 40k machine (using NO extra new parts)  ;)

There... I am full of useless information like that  :-[

not useless at all mate must look into that just need the right mechanic to know how to do it your turning out to be very handy in fact marky must have a word with the father about this might be useful but do you know does it speed all the gears up because its on a dietfeeder it need a good low gear  ;)

guys thanks heaps once again, lack of support for the 3100 series so i`m guessing if i can find something to suit my eye and pocket then it had better be a 3000......i knew about rusty doors  but wasnt aware of the gearbox trick (thank you marky) ,something to enquire about.Is there any reason why there seem to less favourable comments coming out on the 3095...........were they that much less popular?

thanks again  this is all good,very helpful stuff

hubba hubba  come to jakey ;D ;D ;D

yes thanks thats good,so no horrid little quirk hiding away to trap the unsuspecting buyer.........the bigger one  might allow a few extra hours on the clock even if a few horses had passed on  , still be plenty left  for my jobs til i felt it needed it and  i could afford to get it sorted

I had a 3085 32 speed for about 5.5 thousand hours (1992 )and it never missed a beat after initial fuel problems.  I also had a 399 which was a good enough puller but basic with no 'dual power' or other electrics and given your other tractors would be a backward step. 399 had a very limited lift even with 2 assistor rams and struggled with a 4f KV E160 plough.

If the 3000s have front fenders that cuts down on electrical problems as it's water ingress under offside floor that causes problems.

The only reason I changed the 3085 was because I needed more power and don't like turboing.

so john I`m then assuming ;D , a tractor from the drier east too would be better than one from my neck of the very wet woods.............I could always stop the worst of  any further of the wet by retro fitting fenders if it happened not to have any too. think i`ll pass on the 399  all things  considered.