My County 954

fordson major

Today is a bit warmer in Canada and the digital camera would work outside with out freezing up. ;D  so I decided that you guys might like to look at pictures of one of my real tractors. :)

This is my county 954 .

I have had it a few years now  I am still collecting missing parts to restore it one day. I put 4 new tyres on it before christmas and ran it round a bit to keep it freed up.

We have been known to use it for pulling stuck tractors and semi trucks in the winter and  at spring thaw and even rescued a big case 2470 that got stuck with a big seeder on a  few years ago. guy said it would never move it oh was he suprised ;)

Regards Robert

post-1020-13263924987_thumb.jpg

post-1020-132639249897_thumb.jpg

Wings look good, what year? is there a serial number/plate?

Yes they are tidy wings only a patch of rot 2'' square on one of them :) . The serial number plate is missing from the foot board as they where cut when some muppet put a junk cab and loader on it and i had to replace them. The casting lug on the bell housing has also been damaged by the loader and that serial number is missing a few numbers on the end :(  .Hense i dont no the year but hope somebody may have records of 954s that came to Canada. There cant of been  that many built and  hopefully we can trace it by other numbers as well. Im guessing it may be a 1965/66  :) .

Regards Robert

The 954 was made from May 1965 to June 1968, prefix for it was 6F, engine 2703E and transmission 5000 according to Ford tractor comversions by Stuart Gibbard

Are you sure Mark it was made that long as that means there should be no pre force 1004's of which I am sure there are several. Also I thought these were only produced for a year or so due to sump leaks.

That's what the book says, as for the 1004 it's got Dec 1966 to Jan 1970 with the 2703E engine, Jan 1970 to Jan 1971 with 2703C engine and Jan 1971 to Feb 1975 with 2713E engine.

Interesting as I always thought 1004 was a direct replacement for the 954.

Reading through the book it does say the 954 was made for two years before being modified and re-designated as the 1004, with a strengthend rear axel and re-calibrated to give 100hp. DOH I SEE WHAT I'VE DONE I'VE PUT JUNE 1968 INSTEAD OF JUNE 1967 FOR THE 954 ::)

Now that makes more sense - thanks Mark!

Are you sure Mark it was made that long as that means there should be no pre force 1004's of which I am sure there are several. Also I thought these were only produced for a year or so due to sump leaks.

Thanks for all the replies so far :) 

I have a feeling that this Tractor may of had its fair share of sump problems as the sump and block have been drilled and roll pins fitted to peg it in the corners. when I got it and changed the oil there was also a piece of sump gasket a foot long came out of the drain hole so it needs further investigation :(  .

The other thing is that the adapter plates are cracked as well :(  . My friend Mervyn Spokes who writes for T&m and other magazines sold these new and said what the problems where with 954s. This tractor has most of them but the drives and gearbox exetra are good ;) . He also said they where basically all junk within 3-4 years from their launch so there cant be too many around. I know of a couple around Manitoba. But I have not seen many in the English tractor magazines or as exhibits in shows and reports. So does this mean it is a future dark horse Tractor? people just havent realised it is rare yet :-\ .

I did actually save this tractor from being exported back to the U.K by A welsh guy called Huw Tarris from Manitoba Who advertises in the uk Magazines. I was lucky a friend saw it on a web site for a wrecking yard north of us and I phoned and went to look at it.

I gave the Guy $5000 he wanted for it. The exporter offered $3000 then phoned me to ask who was paying more for it in England than he could get for it. He was mad when i told him it was staying put. I think he knew what it was worth and messed up by trying to be cheap and lost out ;)

Regards Robert

really nice tractor!

Thanks Alex youd better not let those massey guys see you making  to many comments on the Blues ;) .

That's a very fine looking classic you have there Robert. Thanks for sharing the photographs of your County, always enjoy seeing conversions from this manufacturer. :)

Yep the ford/ countys and fordson tractors are my faverites as well. :)  My dad did work with a company called Fertilizer sprayers in Berkhampsted Hertfordshire in the late 70s early 80s. That was my first time seeing a county and it fasinated me then. I  moved to Canada and then got the chance to own one. I could never afford one in England :)  .  when the weather is real good and the snow is gone I will also post pictures of my fordson major tractors as well :)

good point. should have bought a 1080  :-X:of joking. how far from being able to restore it are you?

Its ok Ill save you ;) I got an 1135 massey that pucked its transmission in the workshop to rebuild so Ill post pictures of that as im going to start putting it back together soon and i promised the good Lord Fergie pictures months ago as well :) .

On restoring the county I have a few more parts to find. I would then like to get it mechanicaly right Ie rebuild the motor and change seals. Then paint it so some time in the next few years :) . I will also have to build a shed to store it in as when they are painted the sun out here is so bright it fades the paint as it dries ;D . So that will use some of the spare cash for restoration as well.

Its ok Ill save you ;) I got an 1135 massey that pucked its transmission in the workshop to rebuild so Ill post pictures of that as im going to start putting it back together soon and i promised the good Lord Fergie pictures months ago as well :) .

On restoring the county I have a few more parts to find. I would then like to get it mechanicaly right Ie rebuild the motor and change seals. Then paint it so some time in the next few years :) . I will also have to build a shed to store it in as when they are painted the sun out here is so bright it fades the paint as it dries ;D . So that will use some of the spare cash for restoration as well.

keep the updates coming, and obviously post pics of the massey!!

• 3 weeks later...

* sound of Marky patiently tapping his fingers on the desk and whistling quietly to himself *

Well its getting nearer to the top of the list I keep getting called out to  breakdowns and these pay the bills to do these other tractors to sell on so take priority. I have to put a clutch in a Belarus in the workshop then hopefully the Massey is next. ;)

Thanks for the picture Rick :) I should be posting this in what annoyed you today :laugh:  That is a nice tractor and if i had a spare $7000 to buy her and ship it into Manitoba she would be on the yard the end of next week. Maybe i should sell the 1135 to Lord Fergie as a 1-1  kit and go get it ;) .

• 1 year later...