Layout advice please - BEFORE I HAVE A FART !

Lord Ferguson

Question

Being sensible for a moment (makes a change I here you say !) - I have just installed this table top for my new layout.? My original idea was (is) to build modular units (500x500 or 1000x500) and lay them on top of this board.? The other thing I'm thinking is shall I just build straight onto this top.

I liked the idea of being able to have a move round with the modular idea... but It will make fencing and gates and things difficult I suppose... What do you think lads - I would appreciate your help - board is 1100x1600 by the way. - Many thanks

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Simply... WOW TOG - that looks fantastic mate - thanks for posting them - I see what you mean about the raised roadway now - Make it look so much better - mine's definitely going to get the treatment (if I ever get around to it) - How large is that in total  ???

Thanks Marcus... you got an outside one then? ??? - Are you doing a modular one as well? ???

it,s just a floor from an old shed at the mo ,& the time i wanted to start it was last sept just as the wether changed so it's still just an old shed floor  :(

These pictures have been posted before, so if you've seen them, sorry.

Marky, you can see above the blue skirting that there's a 3/4 inch piece of plywood, then on top of that there's a 1 1/2 inch piece of styrofoam.

It's an ignorant size, in a "Z" shape but ends up being 96 square feet.

Very nice the othergreen I like it alot ;) Lots of time and hard work went into that one, MarkyF best of luck with the build hows it coming along? Building the way you are is a good idea, if you want to display your layout at shows it's a good way to start. See your also into mountain bikes, I'm a road racer myself never much use off the road!

Very nice the othergreen I like it alot ;) Lots of time and hard work went into that one, MarkyF best of luck with the build hows it coming along? Building the way you are is a good idea, if you want to display your layout at shows it's a good way to start. See your also into mountain bikes, I'm a road racer myself never much use off the road!

Thanks Smallclass - Not really started yet to be honest (1 barn half built (stalled) and one tractor shed that I'm not that happy with) - As for mountain bikes - I enjoy riding but I'm not the fittest person in the world (sadly) - treated myself to a Kona last year just to annoy the Mrs really  ;) - Like you do  ::)

No, we're not in any kind of club smallclaas but we swop ideas with other folks at toy shows and have a few model railway friends.

The guy who built the lowbed that the D10 (we took the decals off and pretend it's a D8) had a hairy-fit when he saw the "dirty" Cat on his lowbed Marky.

wow TOG fantastic layout scenes there, I agree with smallclaas  ( another top class scenery builder I have to say ! ) the 1/64 scale  is prob easier to start with but the amount of models in that scale over here would perhaps limit the  layouts a bit. perhaps if farmin in canada gets tougher you could diversify into model making?????????????? small scale of course 

thank you for sharing

John

Thanks lads. We haven't added Doc but I've got about 100 pictures of the layout so it's probably one that you haven't seen before.

Smallclaas, it's from Canada, not the US. I'm very touchy about that.  ;)

I'ts the logical scale to be modelling over here for sure John, lots of bits and pieces to be used or modified.

Wow this is some post. Excellent question Marky and some fantastic feedback, FTF triumph's again!! I am making mine in individual peices too so that if I get bored I can alter it's layout, pull buildings out and replace them and of course, have no fixed perimiter. Can't wait to get to the detailing of vegitation, scrap, street furniture, surfacing different areas . .. . and on and on!!