Our Masseys

denis086

i just thought id make a topic of whats going on with our masseys we have a 165 and a 3085 the 165 has around 9500 hrs and the 3085 has over 8000 ill find the proper numbers some other time i dont think either will ever be cosmetically overhauled they are kept aswell as they can be but given that they are in use every day they dont need to look pretty but they do get treated well mechanically the 165 had its engine overhauled about 5 years ago after it was retired from alot of its duties and put on a scraper which did a fair bit of damage because it wasnt really looked after by fellas who we had working for us but most of the major problem have been fixed i usually get things fixed on them by claiming it will speed up jobs or make things easier or point blank refuse to drive them until things re fixed generally if i use that it gets fixed  :laugh:  but since i pulled a transport box out of a ditch and put new boards and tin onto it the 165 has seen a bit of a new lease of life it also powers the slurry propeller the odd bit of rotavating so its kept going at the minute shes waiting on a light switch and a new headlamp after my brother had an incident involving driving too fast into a shed in the 3085 and the 165 came out the worse for it ive straightened the grill but its still not 100% theres a few things id like to get fixed after years on a mf35 loader the steering has play in it and makes it hard to steer but any ideas that might make it easier would be welcomed also does anyone know is it possible to have double acting spool valves on it my dad knows there used be on it when the loader was fitted there were levers beside the seat but these were taken off and put on the 188 when the loader was put on it and theyd be handy for jobs like logsplitting or topping anyway onto the pictures i was told how to replace the bearing in the front hubs and while we were doing that we fitted new studs in the hubs and fitted tyres off a mf 35 seed drill that was scraped and the rear wheels and rim are from a leyland but the centres are the originals

DSCF1316-1.jpg

DSCF1314-1.jpg

DSCF1319-1.jpg

DSCF1465.jpg

anway onto the 3085 it had its clutched changed at 6000hrs and thats the only major thing that has ever been done to it it had a new radiator fitted in december of last year which fixed its problem of overheating when agitating and the test will be when its mowing even though usually if radiator is gone it shows up more often this only happened twice and they were months apart we we replaced the ball joints and arms that go from the gearstick the gearbox but there is paly in the shft coming out of the gearbox so we might get the shafts changed and while the gearbox is opened up we will be making it a 40k tractor instead of 30k we fitted 2 extra work lamps on the back even though they dont fit in with the originals they give off terrific light and we might fit 2 more on the front after a while we also fitted a euro plug for the diet feeder because keenans wire them into the lights plug and it drains the battery having the lights on and the you dont have lights when you go on the road because they have blown so we fitted the plug and i made up the bracket i was told it was a better job than he had seen anyone else do we put the fuses down at the starter instead of having to run wires to the console where the fuse box is and back down again to save the hassle but we might aswell have because we ended up openig up the console to fit the switch for the lights anyway not much else to say other than next on the list is a new rear wiper motor a stabiliser (€250+)  and 2 gas struts for the rear window and were going to just put filler into the doors and sand down and then drill a hole in the end of the door to let water out because itlooks like thats what is causing it to rust water just sitting in the frame and there is alot of wear on the hooks and shaft of the pick up hitch and i was picking up the keenan with a load on it and i thought it had locked fully and i was just after hopping down to put in the hoses and the hook had only half caught the hitch and it slipped and the whole thing just slapped straight down and stand on the drawbar dropped right next to my foot i was very lucky it didnt land on it because if i had been trying to reach across to put in hoses my foot would have been under it so just a warning not to let people stand around when you hitch up something and you can see how much wear is in the hitch because we had to weld a plate above the hitch already so those pieces are after being ordered needless to say

DSCF1464.jpg

DSCF1463.jpg

DSCF1462.jpg

DSCF1460.jpg

DSCF1461.jpg

DSCF1459.jpg

we have a mf 50hx to load it we used have a nh ts110 with a tanco loader that was traded for a mxu135 that was going to have a quicke fitted but we paid for it but we had so many problems in the first few months we didnt think she could handle a loader well what implements dont we have is a better question we have a a kuhn fold down topper a kuhn fc302mn mo-co pottinger silage wagon 1 dooley 14ft grain/silage trailer 1 crotty 14ft grain/silage/cattle trailer stanley bale trailer ifor williams 14ft cattle trailer rauch fert spreader berthoud sprayer mf30 seed drill clayson combine kneverland reversible 4f plough kneverland powerharrow kneverland stone fork fraser dung spreader bredal lime/fert spreader cyclone square baler newholland hayturner krone round baler theres heaps more but i think thats enough a fair bit of the silage and cereal stuff is shared between my dad and both my uncles and it moves between all the farms because we dont have enough space for it all  ;)

and ps thanks for letting us know about the pipe that went on yours i asked few months ago and they said they came out and replaced them all under warranty because there was a few unlucky tractors that it happened to i guess your one of the unlucky few  :D

nice machines, thought the 5 series ie 3085 opposed to 3080 were 40k already? :-\  the 3000 series were great old tractors

im pretty sure its only 30k we clocked it when we followed it in the jeep and the charts on the window and manual only go up to 18.5mph and that works out a bit below 30k the gearbox option meant that its 30k aswell ours is a 16x16 so it meant its only 30k and i completely agree a fantastic tractor bar the lowest gear in high box is a little high for pulling off with a heavy load on a hill but more weight would help up front nice cab aswell to work in

they look good we fitted work lights on the top of the bonnet of our 3095 in place of the ones at the top which cause to many shadows when drilling and also it has had a new clutch but that was fitted before we bought it

we were thinking about putting them on the grab rails and leaving the ones on the cab where they are but i know what you mean about the shadows you can never see clearly close up to the tractor weve had our from new and if thats all thats gone wrong with it its speaks well for the tractor plus the clutch is used alot when feeding with the diet feeder

i love any mf 100 series ,any more of the 165? nice pictures

thanks i dont have anymore at the minute if were doing something with it ill make sure to get pics

They're cracking little lights, those - I fitted a pair on the combine to see the chopper - great.

Great tractors the 3085s. My 3085 had a couple of power outlets on the black panel on rear of RHS pillar by the PTO lever - yours just seems to be blanked (it was Datatronic mind you)  :-\

They're cracking little lights, those - I fitted a pair on the combine to see the chopper - great.

Great tractors the 3085s. My 3085 had a couple of power outlets on the black panel on rear of RHS pillar by the PTO lever - yours just seems to be blanked (it was Datatronic mind you)  :-\

they are great unbelieveable turning them off to see what it was like before the black piece is a steel plate handy for stciking the baler controls to something most new tractors dont have we only went for the autotronic because we wouldnt have the use for the datatronic plus my dad would know how to work it anyway  :laugh:  only advantage to us would be knowing what speed your going something they forgot to put on autotronic it makes spreading fert hard to figure out the rates of application but the case does that now anyway

Nice to see these Denis - keep this updated.

What type of NH combine do ye have?

thanks and i will do

its one of the 1500 series im not exactly sure of the model number but im prety sure its a 1545 ive got all the operator shop and parts manuals down in the shed ill check it didnt make it back from mooncoin the last year it had a little fire but it was caught early and it still didnt miss a beat but they didnt try bringing it back like we usually do i dont pay much attention to it because it looks like a fairly rough job driving it with no cab  :of  :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

cheers lads for the comments

today i took off all the tinwork on the bonnet and straightened everything after my brothers incident everythings back on and looking much better the only problem is where the grill bolts onto the bonnet has torn though the holes for the bolts so theres not much i can do  :-\ i also adjusted the power steering and you can now turn right using your little finger but its still just as bad trying to turn left

ill be going up to my neighbours tomorrow to butcher a mf digger (with 3 pt linkage  ??? ) for bits for the 165 i already have almost new foot trottle and foot rest and slightly worn foot brakes ill be getting all the bits for the three point linkage front tombstone just incase we do it up because our one has cracked the mounting where the mf guard/loader stand bolts on it must at some stage been hit and cracked the castingill show pictures of my spoils tomorrow

we might be getting a mf or alo loader for it depending on how much they are looking for it

thanks for the pictures & narative denis , they look a tidy pairing really mate.

as for the power socket behind the pillar john i was also surprised to see it blanked off , the old 3080 autotronic i used to drive had them, so to be blanked off would they have been an option ?

i think the 40K was an option for both 3000 & 3005 series tractors mike 30K was standard.  your 3085 must be an early model as it doesn't sould like your 3085 has dynashift either denis

thanks for the pictures & narative denis , they look a tidy pairing really mate.

as for the power socket behind the pillar john i was also surprised to see it blanked off , the old 3080 autotronic i used to drive had them, so to be blanked off would they have been an option ?

i think the 40K was an option for both 3000 & 3005 series tractors mike 30K was standard.  your 3085 must be an early model as it doesn't sould like your 3085 has dynashift either denis

after a long day stripping the scrap digger i have plenty of spares and still have to go back for the toplink assembly it never did much mounted work because a weight box was fitted and nothing was ever put on pto pity the leveling box and arms are gone but there is no play in anything on the back which is making it difficult to remove but is worth it in the long run and have found heaps of slightly worn parts that someone took off their 165 when they were overhauling it to preserve the paint finish longer still have to go back because they are buried under scrap no pictures yet

the power socket would have probably been an option up until now most things that needed a power supply worked off the lights and even then it was only seasonal work for a few days a year so it wouldnt have been worth it but the diet feeder is on it for nearly half the year so it wasnt really practical to have it woking on the light draining the battery and putting electrics under presure

i dont know when the series was launched but it was registered in 95 the dynashift gearbox was what makes the tractor 40k i thought and sadly our tractor isnt a dynashift

yes you can put hidrolic hoses on a 165 ;)

we have 2 leavers on our's for a kennen beet chopper we had befor

they mounted on the mudgaurd neetly just at the window hight so that you could use them as an arm rest on thows long SLOW jernys ::) we had the duncan cab thow

and if all gose to plan this yea i mite be completly over holing it with the new cabs that a crowed is making fot them  all new lighs full sand blast and respray and mite even put a radio in  8)

:laugh:

yes you can put hidrolic hoses on a 165 ;)

we have 2 leavers on our's for a kennen beet chopper we had befor

they mounted on the mudgaurd neetly just at the window hight so that you could use them as an arm rest on thows long SLOW jernys ::) we had the duncan cab thow

and if all gose to plan this yea i mite be completly over holing it with the new cabs that a crowed is making fot them  all new lighs full sand blast and respray and mite even put a radio in  8)

im sorted with the hydraulics i took the 3 way valve under the seat off a mf digger not in the best condition cosmetically but it works  ;)  i have a fella with an eye out for a valve chest for me all i need is one double acting spool but i might be able to get a alo loader for scrap money would prefer an mf 30 but begars cant be choosers  :laugh:  would you get me a few pics of the piping im not sure how this is supposed piped in and my dad cant remember how it was piped before the original one was taken off  ::)  and lucky you with the duncan cab the 188 had one with a lovely sprung seat working wiper indicators all the best technology there was on offer  :laugh: 

make sure you get plenty of pics if you do do it up im just sorting out everything mechanical thats cheap to repair or just needs adjusting might rewire it most things bar the headlights and work lamp were cut off so ive no idea how things were wired up

just make sure you dont over load the alternator by adding too much radio would be a constant draw on it let me know how it goes though might do it myself  :laugh:  i know where you can get heaps of spare radios from cars that were scrapped if you need one  ;D

cheers pete

i can get pictures but you mite have to waite for 2months! :-[

im in the uk and the 165 is in thurles :P i cant remember how it gose but ya its defitly under the seat, the little bro text me today saying he washed all the tractors today and has them shining... as we are haveing a farm walk on wedsday to show how a cleen dairy farm keeps down cell counts or sumthing! so the bro and dad were bissy tidying up the hole farm  ;D

but i will take loads of picturs, and if you want the duncan cab im shur we can do a good deal not in the best of order but every thing is their for it exsept 1 of the sliding windows!

and as for ta radios iv a spair cd player and 6x9's sitting at home  8)

i can get pictures but you mite have to waite for 2months! :-[

im in the uk and the 165 is in thurles :P i cant remember how it gose but ya its defitly under the seat, the little bro text me today saying he washed all the tractors today and has them shining... as we are haveing a farm walk on wedsday to show how a cleen dairy farm keeps down cell counts or sumthing! so the bro and dad were bissy tidying up the hole farm  ;D

but i will take loads of picturs, and if you want the duncan cab im shur we can do a good deal not in the best of order but every thing is their for it exsept 1 of the sliding windows!

and as for ta radios iv a spair cd player and 6x9's sitting at home  8)

no problem im not going anywhere

im going out to see what my neighbour say it should be like then off to get hoses made and home again to fit them  :laugh:  and your little bro sounds alot better than mine when i manage to stop him crashing into things and get him to clean the tractors usually i have to go back and finish them  ::)  and isnt that farm walk pointless when your only cleaning up for it meaning it was dirty before it so your low cell count is down to luck  :laugh:  but we did the same when we had ours mad rush scrapeing yard powerwashing then and we ended up out in the fields most of the walk  ::)  :laugh:  id be interested in the cab even if i dont put it on the 165 i might be getting a ford 2000 from up your direction so might stick it on that i bet the back windows no in the cab though we have one though  :laugh:

the back window isnd on it but it is their ;D we have the 165 from new 1979(i think) one of the last ones Barlo's sold they had a deal on and it was that or a 565!

well let me know when ever and ill see if the dad will go through with this as he has been on about it for the last 3year! think this summer could be the 1! ;D

ya the little bro is fairly tasty like myself, always has things spotless unless their been used then they have to be as dirty as posible  ::) ::),  had him trained to draw grass away from a 970 at 9 years old in a 3350 and 18ft dooley  ;D and he came with me every day at grass last year (12) and he got a days work out of it doing a feaild draw with my 6620 and 20ft , when i was gone mowing  :P ha ha fair pised off the other lads ;D coz its the best of the rig! what was even better was the 1st day! we had a new driver. and he some how manged to get weged coming out A ***** of a gap, and i told the bro "hay get that out will ya" the new lad was fair sickend ha ha ::) ::) some drivers by  ::) ::)

Any way im ranting on  :P

the cab it their  if you want it cos we want to put the new C&G cab on it ;) 

i have the receipt for our 165 bought in the suirway in carrick with a mf 35 trip loader a dungspreader or trailer for a bit over 1000 i think ill dig it out and take a pic of it

my bros 13 and hes got a long way to go find it hard backing a 12ft trailer  ::)  i was buckraking at his age with the 50hxs  :laugh:

i dont mind your ranting interesting to hear about your 165 send me a pic of it next time your over and i might head up during the holidays and get it  ;)

ha ha well i dont think the dad still has the receipt :of but i know he got the 165 jones squaer baler 5x6 pz more and hay bob all brand divine new :of and had it all payed for and enuf for a holiday after the 1st seson! ::) youd find it hard to do that these days!

wish he stayed contracting used to cut our own grass and the uncels untill the 2 of them got into more cows and just hadnt the time for it! and if he did we would have a nice out fit for the job! 07 lambogini R110 on the harvester (id by a pottenger MX5 for it) 290 and 165 on the draw with 16ft lea and stanley tralers, and a 08 Manitou telescopic on the pit!

tell ya what i never thought a teliscopic would be any good on a pit! untill i let the bro off drawn last year in our place and i shoved up with it for 2hours from a jd7400, kept it up by ;) ;) and if the 20ft load was tiped horisontle to the pit i could push the hole load up in 1 go! :of :of the boss couldnt beleive what he was seen, little manitou doing the same as his Kamatsu 320 :P

jus a few pics of when i stripped the front tinwork to straighten it out the side panel was the hardest be cause it was flat so took a bit of work not to leave any marks i took off the mounting for the grill guard for the mf 35 loader that cracked the casing sometime but i have a spare one found  ;)  the last pic is of the stabilisers thes were seized long before i can remember fo i got the gas at them lots of oil and then a long buckrake tine to leaver them free and it a treat

DSCF1544.jpg

DSCF1540.jpg

DSCF1543.jpg

DSCF1542.jpg

DSCF1547.jpg

DSCF1559.jpg