Classic MF1200 - Red Beast

dalethecaptain

Was on my way to visit family near Barrow in Furness, Cumbria and for a change I came the pretty way,  down the West Cumbria coast past where I used to live at Broughton. Just down the road from Broughton at a small village called Foxfield, I saw this old beast laid up in a farmers yard. I don't remember ever seeing one of these in the flesh apart from in a show at Holker Hall in about '81 or '82, despite drooling over it for many years.

Unfortunately it was a little busy on the road so I could not get any better pictures. Big apologies to the guy in the Saunders wagon hauling feed, I did not mean to stop that hard and scare you to death last thing on Friday!

IMG_0156.jpg

Big apologies to the guy in the Saunders wagon hauling feed, I did not mean to stop that hard and scare you to death last thing on Friday!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Quality! You see, you're falling ever deeper to the point where you are a hazard to other 'non believers'!!

Interesting machine... and my eagle eyes spot that she's got a 1250 bonnet top as well  :-\

I just love that 1200... if ever there was an example of MF being ahead of their time then the 1200 is that very thing  :):-*

just wondering if the door alone might be from a 1200 as the red looks to be more faded than the rest , not just the bonnet , but did the 1200 have a MASSEY FERGUSON decal ahead of the door ?

would be a 1200?? marcus, fuel tanks decaled a 1200 to, 1250's just had the silver strip through them not the full black white cover decal, wonder if they refitted a 1250 bonnet and added the silver on the cab?? dont remember seeing a 1200 with the massey decal on the cab, just the one on the door

Now you mention it... that's a 1250 cab and bonnet... it's probably more likely to be a 1250 that someone as added a door and tank from a 1200.  The tanks were notorious for splitting on these models inside the cab (weight of the seat mounted to it)

Now you mention it... that's a 1250 cab and bonnet... it's probably more likely to be a 1250 that someone as added a door and tank from a 1200.  The tanks were notorious for splitting on these models inside the cab (weight of the seat mounted to it)

why would one in his right mind, put a decal of a less powerful model of the series on a tractor? must be a massey thing, to downgrade the tractors..  :P:laugh:

nevertheless a very nice find in the scrapyard there.. it gets the fingers trembling with excitement to get it back in original shape as no tractor should end up like that  :-*

I did not get a chance on this occasion to take a picture of the front end, but I am certain it is a 1250 as it did have text and the silver flash decals which was obscured by the air filter housing. You can see the faded Massey logo at the front of the cab (sorry for the poor res, it was a phone camera)

The door has some faded sign writing on it, of a contractor down Lincoln way, I could make out Stainfield, Nr (somewhere, possibly Wragby?), Lincoln which would tie in with the suggestion that the door could of been replaced. I could not make out the MF logo on the fuel tank owing to the crane hydraulic control pipes draped across it. I will be taking a trip that way with a good camera and hopefully some access permission!

I would love to give this a new loving home, but maybe my wife would not be so loving anymore....