Britains Toy Model Catalogues 1970-1979

I think that the concept of the book is a great idea and an invaluable resource but for those of us that have all the original Britains catalogues I think it will not be a must.

For those who have all the original catalogues in very good or mint condition, it is well worthwhile as a reference source to avoid having to use the originals and end up with them worn and dog eared  :) 

For less than the current price of two of the early 70's public catalogues it is a very good value reference.  The tabulation of all the prices year by year at the back of the book is great for those who are interested in such things as the price lists are missing from the vast majority of the actual catalogues that are offered for sale nowadays.

For those who have all the original catalogues in very good or mint condition, it is well worthwhile as a reference source to avoid having to use the originals and end up with them worn and dog eared  :) 

Sounds like a plan Clive.

There aren't copies of their original price lists with their relevant catalogues then?

There aren't copies of their original price lists with their relevant catalogues then?

No; David has collated each yearls prices for every item in the catalogues into two sets of tables at the rear of the book.  One set lists the items alphabetically by name, and the other numerically by catalogue number, so you can search easily by either method and can easily see the change in retail price over the period covered (1970 to 1979).  Each price entry also carries the page number in the book where the page from the relevent years catalogue for that item may be found.

There are one or two gaps (mainly in the non farm areas) because Britains didn't always put the price of every item on the  retail price list  ::)  (1976, the year of the least detailed catalogue, being the worst for this)

Current cheapest prices I can find are:

£15.49 with free post from W H Smith online

£15.74 including postage is cheapest via Amazon  ;)

I haven't seen the book so I can't really offer an honest opinion but we must not forget that there were two versions of catalogues printed, one for the customer, which was the small format and the trade catalogue which was in A4 format for the retailer. It was around the end of the 1970's that the pamphlet customer type ones changed to the lesser quality fold-out sheet type and the included retail price sheet dissapeared but the trade catalogues remained the same. In the early 1990's the cataloges returned to the pamphlet type but the included price list never re-appeared. It is still nice though to have the originals but as said, they can be expensive to obtain and the book is obviously financially more affordable and a complete reference. I'm not saying though that the book is second best.

No; David has collated each yearls prices for every item in the catalogues into two sets of tables at the rear of the book.  One set lists the items alphabetically by name, and the other numerically by catalogue number, so you can search easily by either method and can easily see the change in retail price over the period covered (1970 to 1979).  Each price entry also carries the page number in the book where the page from the relevent years catalogue for that item may be found.

There are one or two gaps (mainly in the non farm areas) because Britains didn't always put the price of every item on the  retail price list  ::)  (1976, the year of the least detailed catalogue, being the worst for this)

Current cheapest prices I can find are:

£15.49 with free post from W H Smith online

£15.74 including postage is cheapest via Amazon  ;)

£12.99 on amazon