making barbed wire

Lord Ferguson

Question

Yes Martin - I intend to make a barbed wire fence all around the rear of my layout.? Not sure how long it will take me though? ::)

Sounds good Mark. Just watch you're fingers when you're moving the tractors about...... ;) ;)

You must have great patience with all these new creations coming from your workshop...... :)

Sounds good Mark. Just watch you're fingers when you're moving the tractors about...... ;) ;)

You must have great patience with all these new creations coming from your workshop...... :)

hahahahaha  :D :D :D::) ::)

Thanks Ben... It's simply two sizes of fuse wire (stolen from my engineering neighbour) - stretch the thick wire straight in a vice by pulling it tight - wrap thinner wire around twice, keeping the ends opposed.... cut with some snips - not sure how far apart to fix the spikes yet and not sure how to fix them - Solder or Superglue ????

I reckon with wooden posts it may look quite effective - I may even crank them at the top like the stuff on our industrial estate.

And no you bl**dy well can't have a roll - you can have the rolls when I've finished and make your own ?:D :D

Not again Martin - you taken up pot smoking up there ????

Looks good Marky, must take some time and alot of dedication to make. Looks good though like the real thing.

Thanks Smallclass - And TM - That little bit didn't take that long - but I'm not sure I will have the time for producing the amount I need though - I am enjoying experimenting at the moment ?;)

Looks brilliant does that Mark. Tell you what, pop three metres in the post to my goodself and I'll give it a test.. yeah?

***awaits short, sharp? response***

:D :D - I'll poke some down the phone line Tris - when it comes out your end just pull three metres off, snip and push the tip back in.  ;D::)

:D :D - I'll poke some down the phone line Tris - when it comes out your end just pull three metres off, snip and push the tip back in.? ;D::)

After I put the reciever to my ear and get barb wire through me lug hole I'm not sure I'll be able to do anything at all Mark mate!!

:) most excellent dude , another  talented  chap for sure, a comment for u ,

the barbed wire in real life that`s made with a single main strand  with barbs like you have ?.........yes?...........well the barbs  can move on it, they arent supposed to but they do get pulled along.

A way to stop it would be to twist two thinner strands of fuse wire together say two or three  turns  , add a barb looped over one strand  and twist a few times again??

the big prob i`d have with that is the time it would take on top of the need to keep the wire thin to make it real looking  and the amount of wire you`d actually need  .

John