Classic Tractor issue 93 - Jan 09

Does anyone have access to a copy of this issue -  I'm looking for an article on history of ford 7810 and I think it is in this issue? I had it myself until I threw out all the issues over 1 year old (ooops). Ideally want to get just a copy of the article or failing that then at least confirmation this is the right article before I buy it a second time as a back issue!

the 7810 came about to keep Ford in the running with the market share Case Ih, JD were taking from Ford with their 6cyl 100hp models. It was a cheap version of the Ford 7910 which was in my opinion far superior.

I think the 7810 kept Ford going with some of its loyal fans, by the end of the 80s every farm in the area i lived that had always had Ford or MF ended up with a Case Ih 956 in its fleet, now that was tractor.

7910 far superiour are you crazy it was just a smaller 8210 which was only fit for blocking gaps unless fitted with a bigger engine.The 7910 was also less powerful than the 7810 and didn`t have a 40k box (In most of them).

My conclusion is that the 7910 was a smaller 8210 (which it was)and that the 7810 was a new tractor.

like i said 'in my opinion' ;) other opinions are available, not many 7910s sold but they werent a downrated 8210 which had a turbo. The 7910 had a better cooling system than the 7810. My brother drove a 7810 and whilst being an ok tractor it wasnt a patch on the 7910 even the fitters from the Ford dealer said the same ::)

As for me in my mind Ford stopped making tractors when IH started making the 956, just my opinion again others are available. ;)

the 8210 was naturallyt aspirated and used the same basic engine as the 7910 the ford 666 engine a later version of the 401engine. the 8210 also had four planet epicyclic reductions in the rear axle  where as the 7910 only had three planet epicyclic reduction. the 8210 was rated more heavier duty than the 7910, it is a mis conception that a 7910 was a downrated 8210. if i remember correctly the 8210 had a heavy duty top link mounting and twin assistor rams as standard specification too.  the 7910/8210 harked back tro fords top line higher specification flat deck models. the european market drove the development of both 7910 and 7810  as six cylinder tractore within this horsepower bracket were much sort after. the 7810  was a top seller for the dealership i was at closely followed by the 8210. the 7810 although fitted with flat deck super q cab was generally deemed a compact 100 hp tractor again going back when ford split the range straddle mount and flat deck tractors.

anyway  ::) ::)::) ::)::)  can anyone help in the origonal question then??

i would suggest a quick go through the back issue page on the website as joe suggested, that and a quick e-mail to the website ,with luck rory will see this post and can help to