The adventures of Marky and Penny... new to me on Sunday 15th August 2010

Lord Ferguson

i don't see you getting enough use out of both mavis and penny to enjoy them both fully let alone a 35x too! you're not opening a museum! if you want to spend some money however.... my personal charity always accepts donations!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't see you getting enough use out of both mavis and penny to enjoy them both fully let alone a 35x too! you're not opening a museum! if you want to spend some money however.... my personal charity always accepts donations

I'd like to have a museum Alex.... alas... no space  :'( :-[

Could possibly find room for a 35x mind you

:D :D  ... sad.. but true Alex :D :D :-[

Been offered a 35x as well by the way... forgot to mention that today  ;)

I saw a 35x sold at auction a few weeks ago and it made £ 3k and well I could only describe it as rough as xxxx......whoever bought it could have spent the same again at least to get to concours condition

Penny Tobin update... so far...

Front crank pully seal has been fitted which was a big job requiring the removal of the radiator and front axle casting...

DSC_1919.jpg

The engine has been given a good looking over... valve clearances adjusted (one was miles out... which I suspect was one of the main reasons she ran like a pig)...

New water pump.. (not fitted in this pic... but it is now)

DSC_1893.jpg

Distributor cap (the old one had no central contactor in it)

DSC_1899.jpg

new one now fitted...

DSC_1897.jpg

New felt seals to the steering box and an oil toppy uppy.. Steering wheel has been pulled off and the slack taken out of the bearing too - she steers wonderfully now too.. like a new machine

DSC_1914.jpg

tank has also been replaced Kev.. the old one (on it) was full of filler for the main tank.. seems that's why there was a spare one..

She's also had the brakes done (new pads).... new seal on the nearside half shaft (the old one leaked into the brakes and impregnated the pads)

and finally... here she is all cleaned up...

DSC_1936.jpg

DSC_1943.jpg

Have ordered another £100 worth of parts for her today too... hoses (various)... brackets, bonet latches and the two adjuster doors for the brake backplates..

Jobs still remaining.... rear main oil seal (possibly... not sure as yet though.. will check after testing)... new seal on the PTO lever and new side cover gasket... new rubber boot on the draft control link (which can be difficult to say the least)

She does need new rear rims as they are rotten as a peach and not holding air very well.. the tyres are 30% full of water too  :of :of :of

I'm seriously thinking about leaving her well alone after this.. she's too honest to renovate I reckon

Looking good!!

I did nothing in 3 years!! :of

Glad she is running well now.

Shame on you Kev... I must make room in my garage for her tomorrow... she's coming home next week  :of

Actually Kev.. that's not true.. you did a few bits i have noticed from the initial photographs I took  ;)

also... forgot... new oil pressure pipe too...

was all that done at your local mf dealer then marky??? they must love it when you visit now, you pretty much single handly keep them in trade ,she does look good in working cloths, just hope when you do the wheels you can get a nice old set faded paint ect to match her in, otherwise new ones wouldnt look right on her

Indeed mate.. I do have one 10" 35 wheel as well... so I only need to find one really  :-\

I do like to support my local dealers mate... I have a soft spot for my first place of real full-time employment  :-\

guess its a case of putting the repairs through the books by going to main agents, i refuse to pay £50 per hour for my front line tractor repairs let alone spending £50 ish per hour on a play thing! cant you find a local one man band mechainic for about £20 per hour for repairs? i fell lucky and have an ex john deere trained fitter does my repairs ;)  only time i use main agent is for electrical diagnostics and dyno tests etc

I know its an MF and I really hate to say it but she is looking better already Mark. After replacing rear rims with worn ones I'd be tempted to keep her in her working clothes. By doing so you could go to working weekends if you have any round your way...maybe with a set of harrows or a cultivator instead of a plough ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

guess its a case of putting the repairs through the books by going to main agents, i refuse to pay £50 per hour for my front line tractor repairs let alone spending £50 ish per hour on a play thing! cant you find a local one man band mechanic for about £20 per hour for repairs? i fell lucky and have an ex john deere trained fitter does my repairs ;)  only time i use main agent is for electrical diagnostics and dyno tests etc

Nope... you guessed wrongly there Mike E baby.. I'll be paying for the repairs on this lady from my own coffers... and as a consequence of this I'll be paying the VAT like we all do.

I'm paying a little more than £50 per hour... but that aside I am keen to support my local dealership mate.  I started my employment there.. I glean them for regular information in my writing for the magazines... some of my lifelong mates work there and to top it all their service is second to none.  The chap who is working on Penny has 41 years experience with MF and has forgotten more than I will ever know I suspect.  I do know a local man who's £17 per hour.. and ex-army and very very good... but on the basis I need my dealership to support my main machine (and sell me a new one in time) then I'm going to place my business with them.

I guess I'm also in the fortunate position, in running my business to support the local chap too... he does my peeling line and general maintenance around my yard.. when he has time that is - he's always busy fixing other peoples stuff as he's too bloody cheap  ::):P:D :D :D

hes already got a mf 39 tine set he will never use bill ::) ::)::);D ;D ;D  a nice small old fergy plough would be good, rust wont hurt as long as its all adjustable,

Spot on Mr P... I intend to find a nice two furrow plough to go behind her mate.. watch this space

I know its an MF and I really hate to say it but she is looking better already Mark. After replacing rear rims with worn ones I'd be tempted to keep her in her working clothes. By doing so you could go to working weekends if you have any round your way...maybe with a set of harrows or a cultivator instead of a plough ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Bill.... I'm inclined to agree... although... having now got a 240 in working clothes and now a 35 the same.. the 'itch' to restore her is one I am trying not to scratch  :-[

Nope... you guessed wrongly there Mike E baby.. I'll be paying for the repairs on this lady from my own coffers... and as a consequence of this I'll be paying the VAT like we all do.

I'm paying a little more than £50 per hour... but that aside I am keen to support my local dealership mate.  I started my employment there.. I glean them for regular information in my writing for the magazines... some of my lifelong mates work there and to top it all their service is second to none.  The chap who is working on Penny has 41 years experience with MF and has forgotten more than I will ever know I suspect.  I do know a local man who's £17 per hour.. and ex-army and very very good... but on the basis I need my dealership to support my main machine (and sell me a new one in time) then I'm going to place my business with them.

I guess I'm also in the fortunate position, in running my business to support the local chap too... he does my peeling line and general maintenance around my yard.. when he has time that is - he's always busy fixing other peoples stuff as he's too bloody cheap  ::):P:D :D :D

fair comment then, guess you have a money tree in ya garden ???  i see ya point but its expensive information doing it that way and when you run a new machine you should get 100% service under warranty regardless who you use to fix ya other machines, maybe you disagree with my views but it makes an expensive toy sending to to a main agent for repairs ::)  i guess your meet at the door with champane and chocolates each time you arrive at the dealership ;D

I don't entirely disagree with your views Mike.. my point about my new machine is that if I don't support my local dealer as much as I can then he may not be there to look after my new machine,, or any of the rest of them... I was more driving at the fact that I like to support them with anything and everything to ensure their survival.  I didn't mean that they won't give me good service unless I get my old machines serviced there.

As for a money tree... I only wish I did have mate... in actual fact I'll never be rich as I've consistently spent all I have made in my working career... I've never been one for saving money.. I could be brown bread tomorrow.. what good would my savings be then hey  :of ... I'd rather have the fun and enjoyment of my well maintained machines than a book with numbers on telling me that I have £XX pounds of savings  :-\ .... each to his (or her) own I guess  :-\

As for Champagne and Chocolates... that's an idea I'll be putting to them on my next visit.. although I think I know the answer in advance.. and I doubt it will be printable without some form of modification for this family forum  :of:-\