britains bamfords balers

Tractorman810

was just wondering how many varients they produced of this model please? asking as i have a blue chassis with blue wheels version in the collection ,and have just picked up a mintish green chassis version, minus its bale ramp at the rear, but otherwise intact, have seen a blue chassis yellow wheel one on ebay also,

secondly, did they all have rubber bands fitted to them?? was wondering as some seem to have holes in the back of the body on the bale ejection area, for possably a roller for the band, others i have in the scrap bin do not have these? neither in the collection have them 

In no particular order:-

blue chassis and wheels,

blue chassis and yellow wheels,

green chassis with blue wheels,

grey chassis and blue wheels.

I think the grey is similar to/ the same as the MF chassis colour

I'm sure I've seen a green chassis with yellow wheels so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a grey chassis with yellow wheels.

The latter versions did not use an elastic band and let the bale drop out in front of the chute! The yellow wheeled version I have is like this

Talking of balers, Allis Chalmers bought the Jones' baler Company in the very late 1960's, the first of the Allis ones was the formerly blue Jones Star MK4 baler, you still find a few of these that have been overpained in orange.

In the model world, Bruder made a Welger baler about 4 years ago based I think on the AP45 conventional baler, came in a plain polythene bag, powered by 2 rubber bands to work the packer fingers and the bale chamber/pickup. I found 2 of them but never seen any more since.

I'm sure I've seen a green chassis with yellow wheels

I have seen one also (recently on eBay).

There are early yellow wheeled versions (with the wheels/tyres as shown in the pic posted by BC, and I have also seen several later yellow wheeled versions (with wheels/tyres as on the 8 wheeled trailer).

David Pullens' researches led him to believe the elastic band was deleted only a couple of years into the life of the model (the reason being that the particular size of elastic band that it used went out of production and an alternative source could not be found).

The Bamfords BL58 was an imported design, built under licence (as indeed was most of the Bamfords range of equipment), but I can't recall who the original manufacturer was  ::) .