Thinking of buying a pallet trailer... anyone know a good model/manufacturer ?

Lord Ferguson

christmas, a time of good will to all men!

Indeed brother Alex... Merry Christmas to you all  :-* - I am 'feeling the love' in this topic.. it's positively ooooooosing with it  :D :D :D

April's Spalding will be an interesting time on the Saturday before in 2011... you've got to show us how to reverse this trailer now as well  ;):-*

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed brother Alex... Merry Christmas to you all  :-* - I am 'feeling the love' in this topic.. it's positively ooooooosing with it  :D :D :D

April's Spalding will be an interesting time on the Saturday before in 2011... you've got to show us how to reverse this trailer now as well  ;):-*

i'll park the c2 on the road outside your yard then!  :-*

trailer pratice, yeah, cant wait marky  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

yep... we can't either Sean... if you need us we'll be in the next village... hiding behind sometjhing substantial... like... say... a flyover  ;D:-*

I think I need a Tris, Marcus or PDC course on the road with this actually  :of:-[  - I nearly took the gateway out on the estate yesterday on one of my 'test missions'  :of:-[:D :D

Nice trailer Mark. Bailey have made a tidy job of it as far as looking goes. I notice the rams at the back of the bed with exposed pipes and fittings though, an area to possibly add something to cover and protect? Just a thought mate. I'm sure you'll get it sorted with a little thought or even better, don't think about it. Often ideas can come from knowhere if you have a break from the situation. If the problem does persist, can't you just get your Mum to buy you a new one? That's what I'd do. :D :D ::)

I'd say this though, you are a man of forward thought. You sell a product in plastic cases and so on which is waste. You actually sell people rubbish, as a bi-product. You saw the gap to now take that waste away at a fee. . . thus possibly doubling your customer base. That's not fluke, that's being aware of what is around you and buying the neccessaries to be ready to take on a new venture. If you can afford it, good luck to you. If it goes well, it's deserved. When someone lays a foundation, anyone can carry on building. The hard part is digging in, in the first place. Work hard, earn your crust.

Thanks Tris.. I appreciate your kind words  :-[ .. I'm fortunate in so much as the market for plastics and paper is on the up at the moment and almost at an all time high, which all helps towards the reinvestment in equipment... I'm acutely aware that this could well be a bubble that bursts very soon - so for now I've embarked on a course of investment in plant whilst I can afford to have it bought and paid for from my cashflow.  With this in mind, when the prices do crash I'm not going to be faced with finance agreements that I can't meet (or indeed a lack of equipment to make me productive) - I can simply use the (lower) income I generate to support my hungry kids, wife and the dog  :)

...on the subject of the pipes.. I do see what you mean as they are a little open to knocks and bangs.  I am going to bolt a piece of 4" fence post over the gap between them on the bed to act as a kind of 'buffer' to but the baler up to during transit - I'll post some pictures when I have done it, bit for now it's a bit too cold to be messing about outside really.. I can see them getting 'welted' sometime soon though unless I do something  :-[ .. especially with my driving.. it's hard enough to get square on the bed  :-[:D :D

A pair of mudflaps below each rear light unit would look the biz on that you know, and maybe help keep your lights clean and visable

sadly Rickay... I didn't ask about that at the time of ordering  :-[ .. I was too engrossed in the shiny paint... and getting a strap box added  :) .. the chap on the phone at Bailey was not much of a salesman really was he  :)

I must say mark a very nice trailer.There are several Baileys locally to me and all look well. Our local fencing contractor has one he carries fencing stakes and a bobcat digger. They are very much like you Mark forward thinking and willing to invest to stay ahead of the competition and offer a more efficient service. They bought the bobcat digger just to put in strainers and also have a john deere with twin wragg fence post knockers very tidy set up and they can pull the low loader with the tractor with the post knockers on so speed up the operation. Also whilst most use a quad to spool out the wire they have a kubota atv with 5 wire spoolers on it. Look forward to seeing more purchases to the empire.

good looking trailer Mark,nice and flexible but I note your dilemmas after reading through......sure it`s fine thought.health to use and enjoy it and all the rest of your MANY shiny new red things !

this shiny paint syndrome , perhaps I suffer from something similar given all that i`ve bought this year..mines more dull paint and rust based though  :) .....

.....seriously though this is one thing folks forget about agriculture..and you are now included in this Mark,that when we have money, we bloody spend it . probably due to the fact that we also know that time will come when we can`t afford to spend it or we can`t spend what we dont have so to this end as you point out, I reckon you have done the right thing here and buying this quality kit probable means it will last you for years. you only need  to buy  more land now, ;D ;D remember metal rusts and they arent making any more land plus  it keeps getting put below tar,concrete and houses so long term it has to be more valuable than it currently is.........

I had a chuckle when I read John's comment on land but how very true. I still kick myself not buying a croft house and steading and 16 acres in Drumoak 23 / 24 years ago for £59,000 but then it could have went more since it was a public auction. I walk or drive past it most weeks and think what if but you can't turn the clock back. Nowadays if i want something I tend just to go for it.

I had a chuckle when I read John's comment on land but how very true. I still kick myself not buying a croft house and steading and 16 acres in Drumoak 23 / 24 years ago for £59,000 but then it could have went more since it was a public auction. I walk or drive past it most weeks and think what if but you can't turn the clock back. Nowadays if i want something I tend just to go for it.

Good for you Bill.. no good crying over spilt milk though I guess mate... like you say.. if you want something and you can afford it then go for it.. if buyer 1 was willing to put up £59k... and you needed to outbid him then who knows what you would have had to pay to beat him  :-\

good looking trailer Mark,nice and flexible but I note your dilemmas after reading through......sure it`s fine thought.health to use and enjoy it and all the rest of your MANY shiny new red things !

this shiny paint syndrome , perhaps I suffer from something similar given all that i`ve bought this year..mines more dull paint and rust based though  :) .....

.....seriously though this is one thing folks forget about agriculture..and you are now included in this Mark,that when we have money, we bloody spend it . probably due to the fact that we also know that time will come when we can`t afford to spend it or we can`t spend what we dont have so to this end as you point out, I reckon you have done the right thing here and buying this quality kit probable means it will last you for years. you only need  to buy  more land now, ;D ;D remember metal rusts and they arent making any more land plus  it keeps getting put below tar,concrete and houses so long term it has to be more valuable than it currently is.........

Many thanks John. I'm both pleased and flattered to hear you think I've made the right buying decision with this.. I do value the opinion of you 'professionals' who have the experience that money just can't buy.

As for Land... I really havn't been a wise investor to date.. but I really must get stuck in.. as you say.. they are not making any more land.. Hopefully that will be my next purchase.. finances permitting  :-[

thanks to both of you chaps for the kind comments

I must say mark a very nice trailer.There are several Baileys locally to me and all look well. Our local fencing contractor has one he carries fencing stakes and a bobcat digger. They are very much like you Mark forward thinking and willing to invest to stay ahead of the competition and offer a more efficient service. They bought the bobcat digger just to put in strainers and also have a john deere with twin wragg fence post knockers very tidy set up and they can pull the low loader with the tractor with the post knockers on so speed up the operation. Also whilst most use a quad to spool out the wire they have a kubota atv with 5 wire spoolers on it. Look forward to seeing more purchases to the empire.

thanks Robert... that sounds like one slick operation you describe there.. I must say I am pleased with the way this trailer looks and if it performs as well as my older Bailey I have then I'll be more than happy.

Good for you Bill.. no good crying over spilt milk though I guess mate... like you say.. if you want something and you can afford it then go for it.. if buyer 1 was willing to put up £59k... and you needed to outbid him then who knows what you would have had to pay to beat him  :-\

Yes Mark it was a slater who bought it and wanted the buildings as his yard. Had I got it I think I would have been living on bread and water since the house effectively need to be gutted. He effectively demolished the house apart from one gable wall since back then you got grants provided you left one wall. Unfortunately we had massive gales that year and it blew down and he did not get his grant. At the end of the day I'm probably better where I am with my small vintage tractor collection. Heaven knows how many I could have acquired with all that space in the streading buildings :-\ :-\

i recon your like me mark, buy once, not cheap, and it goes for ever, either way it looks a great trailer,isometimes wish i had all the cash to just go out and buy for the hell of it like some people do,but i have  a far greater satisfaction knowing i worked for it and made the right choice first time

Thanks mate... Mrs F is the opposite to me... she always wants to buy the cheapest of everything... REALLY annoys me that does... that's why my toilet system is on the blink and the sink plug won't stay up on its own in my new(ish) bathroom .. Grrrrrrr  >:(

Buy right... buy once is a good motto to live buy I think  :)

Trailer update.... got the numberplate on now

bb519312.jpg

and my first 'real load' awaiting transportation on Monday  ;D

cb301e52.jpg

just been looking at that trailer mate, and was wondering, would it be possable to make a hanger at the rear of the trailer ,move the lights ect behind it then drop the baler onto that??? sort of platform for it??????axel would take the weight i would say as would the rams, the weight would be right on it see

Thanks mate... Mrs F is the opposite to me... she always wants to buy the cheapest of everything... REALLY annoys me that does... that's why my toilet system is on the blink and the sink plug won't stay up on its own in my new(ish) bathroom .. Grrrrrrr  >:(

Buy right... buy once is a good motto to live buy I think  :)

Trailer update.... got the numberplate on now

and my first 'real load' awaiting transportation on Monday  ;D 

Well glad to see you have only had a slight covering of snow Mark...is that a boat you have in your yard...I did not know you were a sailor as well I thought that was only jdc ;D ;D

thanks Bill.. Oh I've been known to splice many a mainbrace in my time and hoist copious jolly rodgers.. although I'm pleased to say that's not my boat.  It's my mates 40ft Ocean-going yacht... he started it 12 years ago.. and it's been there ever since.

Snow... yes I'm glad you've seen that Bill... Brrrrrrr.. I am hoping thats all we get.. it's 2-3mm thick in places  :of :of :of:)

just been looking at that trailer mate, and was wondering, would it be possable to make a hanger at the rear of the trailer ,move the lights ect behind it then drop the baler onto that??? sort of platform for it? ??? ??axel would take the weight i would say as would the rams, the weight would be right on it see

not a bad idea Sean E Kins.. I'm sure that would be workable... BUT... I'm sorted now mate - the baler fits on the flatbed a treat buddy  ;)

thanks Bill.. Oh I've been known to splice many a mainbrace in my time and hoist copious jolly rodgers.. although I'm pleased to say that's not my boat.  It's my mates 40ft Ocean-going yacht... he started it 12 years ago.. and it's been there ever since.

Snow... yes I'm glad you've seen that Bill... Brrrrrrr.. I am hoping thats all we get.. it's 2-3mm thick in places  :of :of :of:)

On the snow Mark all I can say is lucky you. I had booked Friday and Monday as holidays since well we can't get off in between Xmas and New Year and also back in on the 4th January 2011 because of this dreaded thing called year end >:( >:( ...with road conditions I'm quite glad I did since that car of mine is the worst one I have ever owned on both snow and ice :-[

Time for winter tyres (if they could be got) and or a Quattro next change me thinks :-\

Been a couple of opportunities for me to own land, both i`ve sadly missed, I have to say the way things have gone I have regretted  both but............. both for one reason or another, were just too much for me to cope with at the time.