Whats your latest general buy 2011?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Land Rover was registered 27th October 1994. There are a few corrosion issues on the body, bottom of both doors has some bubbling and the inner frame of the rear door is a little weak in places due to the weight of the spare which is to be expected for a 17 year old Landy and the cappings on the side panels and the rear corner one side have a little bit of bubbling which can be sorted pretty easily, they are not galvanized cappings, just plain steel, other than that there's hardly a mark or a ding on any of the panels, it's only ever been used as a car and has been pretty well cared for. Chassis has had a bit of patching here and there and a rear section/crossmember a couple of years back, all needs a really good cleaning off and painting with proper chassis paint. Taxed till the end of next February and MOT'd until first week next March, done just over 600 miles since last MOT. Had nearly a full tank of diesel when I fetched it which I was pleased about. All the seats in it are brand new Exmoor Trim cloth seats, they're not cheap, 3 fold-down each side in the back with belts and there's a middle front seat. Been sorting out the sun-roof this evening as someone had rubber siliconed it shut so had to cut the glass away from the seal and rob the seals out of a scrap Dico and cut them, one to make it fit the frame because a Disco sun-roof is smaller, and the second seal to cut a section to fill the gap, I'm hoping that it will seal ok, the glass shuts down really tight, we'll see when it rains again! Me and Brother spent all day on it Sunday cleaning inside and out, Brother's a bugger for the polish, you have to be able to see your reflection in the paint otherwise the jobs not done! Looking a bit brighter now than it was. It's got quite a nice Philips radio/cassette in it too, don't think I'll bother to change it for one with a CD player, nowhere to store the discs, you know how much storage there is in the front of a Defender, not a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember this from a while back......

Arrived this afternoon in the pouring rain,............good or bad sign...... ??? ??......

wburyp.jpg

1zvvbrk.jpg

fooh3c.jpg

1rx8o8.jpg

19p83o.jpg

Several minor problems and one major one,....I believe we have a lodger on board,..and still on board after a 30 plus mile trip here....

migpzb.jpg

Something is on board somewhere because my dog went "rat" mad as soon as she got near it...... :of :of

It was a bad sign,...........a very very very bad sign,...........we have had nothing but trouble with this machine and to top it all,.....it very nearly went up in smoke this evening. :of :of

When you say nearly. .. . what stopped it? Insurance papers not received yet?!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What's up with her then John? I see some of the tractors at Cambridge and say to someone "Corr look at that, what a tidy tractor for it's age" or similar and the truth is, it's there because it's shagged out!!! Were the looks deceiving with this or were the things you picked out just the start of the problem?  :-\

All sorts Sean,..minor ,major and to top it all tonight after getting it going after a week being repaired we had an almost catastrophic bearing failure which resulted in a pretty bloody awkward internal bonfire.

All the problems have been remedied under warranty up to now,but this latest one may be a bit different.

After a major oil leak from the tailshaft gearbox a fortnight ago , I power washed all the sh*t and oil off and away and when the combine was moved I found a large ball bearing on the concrete where it was parked.The fitters were shown the ball  and we stated that it had to have come from somewhere on the machine.They went through it and could not find anything amiss.

Since that happened we have done about 80 acres of oats and it threw the tailshaft oil seal again,.....reason being that the main bearing inside the gearbox was on its way out.Major overhaul which took the best part of a week ,believe it or not..!!..,finally got it back together and going just after lunch today and into a really heavy wheat crop.

At about 8pm we finally found out where the ball bearing came from.... ;) ;) ......... :of :of

When you say nearly. .. . what stopped it? Insurance papers not received yet?!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What's up with her then John? I see some of the tractors at Cambridge and say to someone "Corr look at that, what a tidy tractor for it's age" or similar and the truth is, it's there because it's shagged out!!! Were the looks deceiving with this or were the things you picked out just the start of the problem?  :-\

When you buy from the "combine world " website Tris, you expect something half decent dont you....??

What stopped it,.......well,...lets just say that its lucky we carry 2 fire extinguishers instead of just the one and that they were both water.

It was  insured the day after we got it. ;)

blimey mate, thats not to good,with luck shes now a ok runner i guess after all the repairs, but  has the fire done much damage ??? ??

The fire hasn't done as much damage as the bearing Sean,....the bearing took out one of the variable speed pulleys and the main shaft it sits on,....about 5 to 6 grands worth.

Lucky we have a 440 on loan from a friend, which we can get harvest finished  off with.. :)

When you buy from the "combine world " website Tris, you expect something half decent dont you....??

What stopped it,.......well,...lets just say that its lucky we carry 2 fire extinguishers instead of just the one and that they were both water.

It was  insured the day after we got it. ;)

Christ, yeah I'd say so given their huge stock and national coverage and so on. What a gutter. Will it see another season with you then or go on a boat before then? And up to £6k worth of work to do on it now too, talk about being up against it mate. Hope it all works out for you chaps.

The offending bearing,... or rather whats left of it welded to the shaft along with the vario pulley.....

21bn1it.jpg

As you can see, it got rather hot to bend that 3.5 inch shaft. None of the "southern harvesters" fitters have ever seen a shaft that big, bent by a failed bearing... :of

ive just purchased an 05 plate 250cc quadzilla 250e road legal quad.

it is for replacing the car due to cheap insurance but also for work uses aswell.

all for the bargain price of £1020

also he is throwing in an anchor lock and chain, medium size helmet and disc lock and alarm.

Sounds a peach!  :of

shes a beauty, perfect condition, been well looked after, new tyres all round, done over 4000 miles but thats not alot for the condition its in

going to pick it up in a few days and for the price i got it for i really calnt complain,

plent of money left to pay the insurance and have plenty left over so its all good,

things seem to be looking up for me since my accident so im just loving it while i can