Manor Farm's Mini Dio

Lady Ferguson

thats tidy mandy, can i ask, how have you done the mud parts please??

I always use ordinary air dry modelling clay (I know a lot of you guys like to use plaster), because it's soft, lightweight and easy to shape (and it's cheap), then I paint it, seal the bits I want to put puddles in with PVA and the put Magic Water in the puddly bits.

:)  oh very very smart..............as we have mentioned before these mini scenes rather than massive dioramas  might just be a very civilised and enjoyable way to move  forward

john i agree with you there,im running out of room at venton farm,so to maximize space i will be going back to small dios,much like when i first started

I always use ordinary air dry modelling clay (I know a lot of you guys like to use plaster), because it's soft, lightweight and easy to shape (and it's cheap), then I paint it, seal the bits I want to put puddles in with PVA and the put Magic Water in the puddly bits.

mandy,what colours are you using  to paint the mud,dont say brown!!!!!

and of course the actual shade of brown /black/reddish/grey  you require could be varied to suit the soil type to where the dio was going to be set , if desired.

to elaborate I mean I have allsorts from  a rich earthy brown on some fields ,to black peaty type soil in others to grey cold clay in others with a very light gravelly sandy gravel in others so really the colour as long as it was roughly right it would be fine but I know many parts of dumfriesshire have that reddy boulder clay soil from one end of the farm the the other so someone there might want a reddy brown on the cows feet and in the gateways.............

if that makes sense  ???