Is there a lack of inspiration about?

bigbear

Am I the only one who is finding that new farm toy releases are getting more intricate, but less inspired? I get loads more enjoyment from the older toys that actually have a great design and DO something, than from a new model that just sits on the shelf and never gets touched again!

I suppose it is a matter of personal preference, I much prefer the new releases that are far more intricate and detailed and are shelf models rather than playthings. I want my models to be as realistic as possible and because I have no skill in modifying them I much prefer them to be made that way by the original manufacturer.

It wouldn't do for us all to be the same though ;) ;)

I also prefer the more detailed and less functional model that seems to be the norm of today compared to models of the past. I do appreciate it when implements are compatible with tractors from the same model maker but that's enough for me.

I know this industry (die-cast model making) is a business and therefore profit and loss is the main consideration for the likes of Britains, UH, Wiking et al so replicas of new and current tractors and equipment is probably the biggest income stream for them, but, I really like to see models of classic tractors and equipment. Almost to the point that I might even buy a classic model that I wasn't totally familliar with just to "keep the numbers up".

I suppose it is a matter of personal preference, I much prefer the new releases that are far more intricate and detailed and are shelf models rather than playthings. I want my models to be as realistic as possible and because I have no skill in modifying them I much prefer them to be made that way by the original manufacturer.

It wouldn't do for us all to be the same though ;) ;)

I agree 100%  8)

Interesting question... I'm with John on this one... and not just 1:32 scale either... give me a chunky old Ertl 1:16 sandpit toy over any new modern model for 'general satisfaction'

Don't get me wrong... I do like my DBP's and my UH's .. but I'd get more pleasure out of an old chunky and all the memories they hold than any modern day masterpiece.

Actually .... scratch that... I love them all for different reasons  :-[:P:D :D

Perhaps some of you are making the same mistake as non-collectors do, of lumping together several distinct and different, but with some overlap, hobbies. As is also the case with collectors and/modellers of soldiers, trains, cars, etc.

As I see it there are:

1) Collectors of accurate models, either new or relatively recent. (say last 40 years)

2) Similar to above, but also do their own modelling/converting.

3) Adults who actually play with their toys. Applies more to train layouts and war gamers than most here, although I imagine some of you........

4) Collectors of 'antique' toys. Of course some of these might be new, a complicating factor with Britains, that although under new ownership (i.e. all those since the Britains family sold out in 1984), most of us consider current models to be a continuation of their farm range which started in 1922. Of course not everyone collects the lot from 1922 to 2011, but as has been discussed in other threads, it's not always possible to draw clear metaphorical date lines within the whole period.

I like the detailed models myself but I'm glad that Siku is still there making toys that do stuff for my kids to play with as they don't care about accurate cab roofs and coulter nos being correct. The Horsch chaser bin with working auger being a great example of this and hopefully they will continue to innovate with the RC toys (which will hopefully get a bit cheaper as volumes increase)!

i do miss the functions of the old models , many hours spent carpet farming with crushed  bark out the back of the britains muck spreader or bales dropping out the back of the bamfords , but times move on, as have my requirements in models, to me i really look for a detailed model now, and to get that things get lost, as long as the loader tips and goes up and down, and the doors open(uh and co are getting there with that) then thats function enough for me with new models

I think we all have an attack of nostalgia when it comes to Britains (I certainly do ::) ). Wasn't everything better then... summer were warmer and longer; less traffic; less rubbish on TV... etc.... etc ::)

We lived in a town (Newquay), but had a really good granite garden wall with what should've been a narrow flower bed in the middle... but in fact it was a rough track for driving my Britains tractors and trailers up and down all day.... aaaah nostalgia....

Personally, I love the detail of UH on my dios... but my collection is a different story... it doesn't have to be accurate or even pretty to make it to my model shelf... but it does need charm (and even better if it's red ;D ;D )

they dont make em like they used to

look at the yellow britains massey 135 with forend loader leaver at the back it also trips the bucket very good and playabilty same as the massey combine 760 i loved it easily my favoret

child hood toys these also liked the new holland bailer the way it chucked the bailes out

they dont make farm toys with playablity like those for me the 70s was brilliant for britains

when it comes to playability ;) ;) ;)

There is something about the old stuff that I just love it has to be the nostalgia factor as by today's standards they are pretty poor when compared to UH etc... Although the weird thing is even the Britains animals that are made today use the moulds from my childhood they still are not the same as when they were first released.  :(

Although the weird thing is even the Britains animals that are made today use the moulds from my childhood they still are not the same as when they were first released.  :(

Unless you're very, very young, I don't think they are the same moulds. The shepherd, the landgirl with bucket, the scarecrow, and the running sheepdog, are the longest survivors (& don't think all of them are still made), which look roughly the same as the old figures, but if you look at them closely, they're not exactly the same moulds.

And there was me thinking you'd have Barney Brown's book and/or Jonathan Stephens' 'Studies'. 

Unless you're very, very young, I don't think they are the same moulds. The shepherd, the landgirl with bucket, the scarecrow, and the running sheepdog, are the longest survivors (& don't think all of them are still made), which look roughly the same as the old figures, but if you look at them closely, they're not exactly the same moulds.

And there was me thinking you'd have Barney Brown's book and/or Jonathan Stephens' 'Studies'.

With the exception of the Thoroughbred horses, foals and the two horses in the heavy horse pack and the lambs all the animals hark back to the seventies early eighties. The Hereford and Charolais are from 1980, The Friesian mould from 1984. The sheep, pigs and piglets not sure but as I was born in 1972 these are the only versions I remember collecting.

Time for some new moulds I think, when they did the blue ribbon range there were some nice sheep and pigs made, why can't we have them back?

With the exception of the Thoroughbred horses, foals and the two horses in the heavy horse pack and the lambs all the animals hark back to the seventies early eighties. The Hereford and Charolais are from 1980, The Friesian mould from 1984. The sheep, pigs and piglets not sure but as I was born in 1972 these are the only versions I remember collecting.

Time for some new moulds I think, when they did the blue ribbon range there were some nice sheep and pigs made, why can't we have them back?

Different age perspectives then. I was born in 1952, so for me the dividing years between 'old' and 'new' in terms of Britains plastic farm figures is about 1969 to 1970, when there was a major change in the range, as does Barney Brown by his book stopping at 1969. 

Me too!

The end of the Herald moulds in the late 60s and early 70s saw a distinct drop off in realism and quality, which was repeated when a lot of the current moulds took over in the 80's.  Judging from the 1990s monkeys that masqueraded as tractor drivers in the Britains range before Ertl deleted them altogether, I think they might be better off keeping what they have got now  ;)

On the subject of tractors etc, in spite of the fantastic detail we now see on even the cheaper toys and models, many of them do lack character, and the sheer volume of new items continually coming at us like a tidal wave has taken much of the interest away as far as I am concerned.  The excitement of waiting to see new models has largely gone - when we only used to get one or two new models each year from a small number of manufacturers I think we appreciated what we got far more, and acquiring the latest model tractor was really something to look forward to, and a great thrill for some time afterwards. 

Even 20 years ago, it was realistic to aspire to collecting all the tractors in a particular scale, or from a particular manufacturer or OEM, it was something to aim at, and aiming for some kind of 'complete' collection is how most older current collectors started.  Now there are so many models from so many manufacturers that it is almost impossible to find a collecting 'theme' which is affordable (either financially or with regard to storage space) - it has for many simply become a case of pick and choose with no clear long term aim.

• 4 weeks later...

The last year has almost killed my passion for models,To many models to pick from.Detail is nice but i've lost the enjoyment in new models as i'm to scared to touch them in case abit falls off them.I always got a real buzz out of ordering a few gems from PDC or the likes but now days you need to think long and hard before ordering a convo as more than likely it's readly availble in 6 months time,the best modeling days were when the forum started I feel when we all had Siku John Deere 6920s tractors that we said were pimped because you'd added extra lights and stratch built trailers on the back.

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer more detail personally, but that is now, not neccesarily always the case.

With Britains, the mainstay of my childhood affection for farm toys, I was in love. The looks, build, functionaility and relative strength of the models was superb and now, many years later, I trawl through Ebay searching for the old models leaving tear jerking dents in my wallet.

New models today however need the likes of Weise, Shuco and Universal Hobbies in there as, and this may be controversial, Britains has lost it, Ertl never proclaimed to have it and Siku can't get near it. The 'it' is realism, the fine edges, the real detail, the accuracy and not a clear demonstration of how to cut corners to be seen. I like a diorama and frankly when doing these it's either old Britains or UH/Weise etc all the way.

I don't feel the market lacks inspiration but I do feel that certain companies are resting on old laurels and will be left behind.

• 2 months later...

Nice to see all the comments! I'm a 1954 vintage tractor fan myself and have to agree that the Britains stuff isn't as good as it was, but still buy it anyway, out of nostalgia, I suppose. I still have my old Jersey and Fresian cow models from the early '60's and they are certainly more like the cows I remember from my youth! The modern ones look like modern cows alright, but don't have the fine lines I used to look for in the dark ages!

As to the fine detail of new tractors... I'm forever putting bits back onto display models that have been dusted and now invest in air duster to keep damage to a minimum. On my older models, I can just give them a brush over with a blusher brush and they are as good as new!

I always look a model over and if it doesn't 'speak' to me, it stays on the shop shelf. Hence I have a lot of implements and not many new tractors.

Funny old world, isn't it?