Any advice on VAT qualifying Double cab pickup trucks please

Well... Mrs F's Landy 110 double cab is coming up to 3 years old... and the warranty will soon be up.. I've made it my policy NOT to own a Landrover out of warranty as they are pretty diabolical when it comes to reliability....

So... I'm wanting to replace it with a double cab pickup... having a ladies hairdresser's car as my other motor, this one will have to be our family ride as well... so I'd appreciate anyones input who has had experience of any particular brand.. or indeed... knows of someone who's had/having experience of a truck with this configuration also.

I'm curently looking at the following trucks

Isuzu Rodeo

Toyota Hi-Lux

Nissan Nevara

Mitsubshi Barbarian

DONT FANCY list...

Anything Landrover based... I like Defenders.. but the time has come for a change.... don't fancy a freelander... can't afford any of the other products they do  :-[

I'd like an autobox as I am getting old and lazy  :-[  .. a reasonable level of comfort.. RELIABILITY... and possibly even a smidgen of street cred  :-[:D :D :D

Thanks in advance for your suggestions... well... the polite ones anyway

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it bill??? :of :of :of bet being in bussiness all these years marky never knew it had changed  ,bloody accountants think they know all the secrets dont they :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes it is me here Sean..alive and dangerous as normal ;D ;D

I sure Marky know's about the VAT change...I'm sure he is not as daft as he sounds really ???

is it bill??? :of :of :of bet being in bussiness all these years marky never knew it had changed  ,bloody accountants think they know all the secrets dont they :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:-X:D :D :D;) ;)

i have the nissan narvara , they are not bad but you do feel every bump on the road with them compared to the toyato land cruier is a dream to drive

thanks Model Ed... I've heard some reliability issues talked about with the Nevara engine mate.. any truth in that in your opinion ???

VAT or "Ver and tear" is currently at 20% Mark ;) ;)

thanks Billiam... I'd better change my VAT rate on my sage then  :of::)

what's the new calculation for finding the vat element then Bill E baby... it was gross times seven divided by 47 ???

All the managers at work have the Ford Ranger Wildtracks ::)  I have driven these and think my mates Nissan is better ;)

I met Andy B the other week... he's got a lovely looking Ranger... forgot to ad that to my list above  :-[

What's wrong with the Ranger Paul ???

work have started buy the mitsu's of late marky, they have fitted out rear bodys, but the drives ok, along with the room in the rear, one of ours has the seats, the other a lockable tool box in its place, but the first will take 2 of us with ease legroom wise which may be key if a familly run arround to

Navara engine was the old model Marky, oil pump, timing chain and a habit of putting a leg or two out of bed ::)

Did you find out who your Isuzu dealer was in the end?

As per our discussion the other day I'd consider the Ranger or Rodeo, especially with the keen offers they have on at present. I must say I did like the Ranger Thunder I drove a while back and would consider one myself if funds allowed

:-X:D :D :D;) ;)

thanks Model Ed... I've heard some reliability issues talked about with the Nevara engine mate.. any truth in that in your opinion ???

thanks Billiam... I'd better change my VAT rate on my sage then  :of::)

what's the new calculation for finding the vat element then Bill E baby... it was gross times seven divided by 47 ???

Sage... what is that Sage an onion stuffin ???

On the VAT calculation...I will have to get back to you Mark...off duty now ...3pm finish these days

thanks Gavalar... I have looked at the Rodeo now... and the Hi-Lux... but that's all to date  :-[

I did hear thar the Nevara is a timing belt (not chain).. is this true ???

Unsure on the newer ones but the previous model was a chain as my mates one threw it through the front of the engine :of

No horror stories with the Ranger Mark just thought the Nissan was a better ride ;)

Ah ha... thanks Paul... so... out of 10 for each one... with 10 being super 'double cab' dooper... and 1 being about as useful as Bill's smoke detector battery spreadsheets... ???

Sage... what is that Sage an onion stuffin ???

On the VAT calculation...I will have to get back to you Mark...off duty now ...3pm finish these days

one word.... useless  >:(:of

I'll see you in my office at 9am sharp please Billiam Bookbank  >:(

And I was going to ask you to take over my quaterly returns as well... it seems you don't now your input tax from your output tax.. which, in short means your ar$e from your spanish archer (el bow)  :P

theres none of them particularily comfy in the back of the crew cabs in my opinion  floor too high in comparison to the seat height ( if you are over knee high to a grasshopper at least )  not that I think you`d be in the back much  ;) ..............seems like there isn`t a one brand prefered we see all kinds round here. i also hear complaints about them all for various reasons... if you don`t keep them too long out of warranty some of the problems are perhaps less of an issue ?????

Second that about the D22/Navara. I was poised to drive to Kent to get a nice 04 reg D22, when I  read this article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2008/10/pickup_a_problem.html

The problem was so bad with some of these models of Navara that this website/forum was started....

http://knackerednavara.proboards.com/index.cgi

Having driven many miles on and off road in navaras and hi-luxn, thought id just give my two pence worth  :P

Navara are very comfortable, pull like a train and lots of gizmos to play with.  4 wheel drive is good but would say tyres are key.  on the road they are a dream although parking and town driving is a problem due to size. 

the hi-luxs driven were superb, really great and and off road, although would say 3.0l engine better for trailer work.  put the hi-lux in some pretty precarious places and it just pulled straight out, great four wheel drive system. only criticism is the interior is poor!

No comfort at all and dash look like they are made of old shoes!

All in all the hi-lux is a great and recommended buy, but would say to branch out and get the larger engine and enhanced extras pack.

Hope this helps and good luck. Look forward to pics of the new truck soon.         

can i say that i bought a new hilux 30 in 2008 and it was the best vehicle i ever had,tough very tough,easy to drive,comfortable,very roomy but most of all and you may not believe this but very impressively economical,no matter how hard i drove it i still seemed to get at least 30 mpg...and i sure did drive it hard,towed my 135 with it which to be honest you wouldnt even have known it was behind you so i cannot speak highly enough of them.down side was that they werent handy parked,you cant just NIP into a parking space on high st....although the isuzu rodeo denver looks smaller and neater surprisingly they are only 80mm shorter than the hilux,in my opinion the isuzu rodeo was a more attractive machine but for out and out ruggedness ,simplicity and quality build my votes the toyota.... PS as someone mentioned the hilux interior lets it down,cheap plasticy look and not the appeal of the isuzu.....

Right we have  a ranger great on road and field but no offroad tyres they ruin the ride. The nevaras are Good on road but 6 gear is bad in a field as it is too highly geared 5000 plus revs to take off. The hilux are great but hard on diesel and deer to buy and the l200 has a bad bad steering the ford is best value for money I'd say