Big, BIG Britains Auction

Hi everyone

Was doing some of my usual web trawling earlier and checked out an auction site I have used in the past. Towards the end of this month there is a HUGE auction taking place of many boxed favourites and also some majorly rare Britains, including displays, POS, models, buildings and some of the really, really old stuff (it gets better and better as you go through the pages). I thought it would be selfish not to point it out (unless of course you all know  :of)

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewSearchLots.aspx?Search=farm&Dir=1&id=0&ref=1&Start=0

Edit: It seems a few do know about this so sorry for repeating, but for those who don't check it out  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone go to this?

just looked at the reports. Prices are extremely low!!

Wish i had mad ethe 4 hour trip from wales now!

Yes, I agree - looking at the prices, it seems like the bottom has fallen out of the market, (plus quite a few lots not sold). I didn't start collecting models as an investment - it was always for pleasure, and still is - but a few years back it was quite nice to think if my finances went bottoms up I would at least be able to fall back on my collection..... not anymore  :-\

Interesting point JEP. although i wouldnt quite say the bottom has dropped out. Maybe a trip to Spalding Sunday will reassure you of prices!  :P  I would personally put it down to poor marketing and arrangment of sale day on the auctioneers part.  Quite a controversal view so look forward to hearing other views!

Hope you are right Jay, as you say probably not the best promoted, particularly in terms of target audience - so perhaps it was a bit strong to say the bottom has fallen out, but old Britains are certainly not commanding the prices they were 2 or 3 years ago - granted this coincides with the global downturn of 2008, and generally far tougher financial times, but maybe prices had become unrealistically over inflated - along with other bubbles (housing etc) - they are prone to bursting.

At the end of the day - first rule of economics - Supply & demand something is only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay.

Hopefully there will be lots of demand on sunday for this great hobby of ours.... ;)

old Britains are certainly not commanding the prices they were 2 or 3 years ago

At the end of the day - first rule of economics - Supply & demand something is only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay.

Two great points JEP, totally agree on this. 

The way I look at Britains collecting is that it gives me many hours of enjoyment, granted while spending lots of money! :P 

At the end of the day I have something to show for all the money spent.  I can look back at my models and remember, however, the moeny spent on a saturday in town is rather more difficult to remeber!  ::) 

I say: 'everybody to their own and may our great hobby continue'.

I went to the sale, and prices of many lots were suprisingly low and will be doing a report in the next magazine. Bargains to be had for certain. Others however were higher than expected, or about right.

The trouble with vectis is they dont really promote their sales for "on site" attendance like they used to. They rely heavily on Artfact online bidding, which initially saw prices go through the roof. Increases in comission, which is reflected in a buyers premium of about 21% or 23% online has affected the prices though in recent times.

I guess people have less disposible income too.

I do however think if the sale took place perhaps in the evening or on a Saturday, it would have seen better prices. There are vast amounts of Britains collectors in the Farming community and with the nice weather, I guess its hard to find time to get to a computer to bid. Likewise, people working  in any type of job during the day would struggle to get the time to look at the sale.

I went to the sale, and prices of many lots were suprisingly low and will be doing a report in the next magazine. Bargains to be had for certain. Others however were higher than expected, or about right.

The trouble with vectis is they dont really promote their sales for "on site" attendance like they used to. They rely heavily on Artfact online bidding, which initially saw prices go through the roof. Increases in comission, which is reflected in a buyers premium of about 21% or 23% online has affected the prices though in recent times.

I guess people have less disposible income too.

I do however think if the sale took place perhaps in the evening or on a Saturday, it would have seen better prices. There are vast amounts of Britains collectors in the Farming community and with the nice weather, I guess its hard to find time to get to a computer to bid. Likewise, people working  in any type of job during the day would struggle to get the time to look at the sale.

Very true Andy, particularly the last point. It's the same with Ebay, I bought 2 County 1884's in the last few months. Both in White, both Powerfarm, both un-boxed and in similar condition. One finished on a Saturday afternoon and went for £81, the other ended I think late on a Tuesday night about 11.30pm and I got it for £53.

Very true Andy, particularly the last point. It's the same with Ebay, I bought 2 County 1884's in the last few months. Both in White, both Powerfarm, both un-boxed and in similar condition. One finished on a Saturday afternoon and went for £81, the other ended I think late on a Tuesday night about 11.30pm and I got it for £53.

i usually find the best time for something to sell is to make sure it ends about 8 to 9 o clock on a weekday,so i usually put stuff on at that time

Things to note:

1. There is a buyers premium of 17.5% (plus 20% vat on that premium) for room buyers, plus a further 2% clearing charge if paying by credit card (3.5% if American Express!).  That is effectively 21% on top of the hammer price for cash/cheque buyers, or 23% for credit card buyers.  For those bidding online via Artfact there is an all inclusive premium of 23%. 

In other words, a winning bid of £50 will actually cost about £61  - and on the 30th, the £1200 that was bid for lot 4639; 171F Fordson New Performance Super Major, will have been a final cost of at least £1594 (what was so special about that one?)

2. A considerable number of the items in that sale had less than mint boxes (quite a few appear severely damaged from the photos in the online catalogue)

3. A significant number of lots contained items/models which were slightly damaged, sun faded or otherwise less than mint.

4. The lotting was very erratic (as indeed were the estimates!) - there were several unusual variations of certain implements which were in with some of the multiple lots and were possibly not noticed for what they were by bidders - although, just looking at the photos, I noted no less than 3 rare Alfa Laval tankers with no pipes along the top (including the one mounted on the toyfair plinth/display),  an all yellow 9565 trailer with the decal off the cattle lorry doors on the sides (another uncommon but genuine factory variation), another rare 9565 trailer with red wheels, and an earlier 9550 version of the trailer with blue wheels and light gray raves; a green Acrobat Rake; and the red version from the set of coloured Valmet 805s (with red cab instead of the black one fitted to the standard issue of the later decal type Valmets) which was tucked in a seperate lot from any of the others (with a standard Valmet).

Whilst there were several lots which did go for a fraction of what they should have done, the vast majority made around the right money, with most of the obviously rare and desirable lots making very high bids (some of them selling for way above what they are realistically worth).  Many bids on the second day for the lead and point of sale items went ballistic.

I also think that perceptions of values by some folk are unrealistically high in the first place (you only have to look at certain excessively high 'Buy-it-Nows' on some Britains items which have been going round and round on eBay for months and show no sign of selling). 

Vectis have long been associated with some of the highest bids for toys in general, so in some respects, it is refreshing to see most of the items on Tuesday finish at more realistic levels.

On a slightly different note, there were clearly some nutters bidding - I mean; £220 bid for lot 3461: the unboxed Hausser-Elastolin maize drill (missing the hopper lids at that!) ???

I've not been at the auction in person but made some absentee-bids. I allways put the lowest possible price and went for 15 pots. I've won 5 Autoway-models for in total 175 GBP. The commission and VAT was 38 GBP and handling and postage to the Netherlands 30 GBP.

All in all some nice models for my collection but at the end not a bargaine.

There was a couple of unusual valmets that I havnt previously seen,

3293_l.jpg

Set 5484 with double real wheels. The catalogue number was unusual to me.

Similarly,

3290_l.jpg

I dont think I have seen this one before with the loader?

Things to note:

1. There is a buyers premium of 17.5% (plus 20% vat on that premium) for room buyers, plus a further 2% clearing charge if paying by credit card (3.5% if American Express!).  That is effectively 21% on top of the hammer price for cash/cheque buyers, or 23% for credit card buyers.  For those bidding online via Artfact there is an all inclusive premium of 23%. 

- and on the 30th, the £1200 that was bid for lot 4639; 171F Fordson New Performance Super Major, will have been a final cost of at least £1594 (what was so special about that one?)

On a slightly different note, there were clearly some nutters bidding - I mean; £220 bid for lot 3461: the unboxed Hausser-Elastolin maize drill (missing the hopper lids at that!) ???

Why is there a buyers premium?

A very expensive NPF Major, okay it was boxed but what price a box?

I like that Hausser drill and wouldn't say no to one, except at that price  ;) Perhaps they are quite rare although made for a few years, apparently 1975 -'83