Britains International 3588 tractor

BK741

Here are a few photos of my new Britains IH 3588. The box is similar to the IH 946xl one with the tractor held in with wire which needs to carefully removed. Once out of the box you find the tractor is quite heavy being mostly metal. The bonnet slides forward for access to the engine. The tractor turns in the middle but springs back to center so posing in a turn is difficult. The cab is well detailed. The linkage is a little disappointing been made of plastic and only having limited lift and drawbar is awful!

The paint work and decals are excellent.

All in all a good model!

post-3217-132639692114_thumb.jpg

post-3217-132639692126_thumb.jpg

post-3217-132639692151_thumb.jpg

post-3217-132639692163_thumb.jpg

Get your coat oli, dont let the door hit you on the way out

Thanks for the review knew britaions couldnt do a flawless model....

I would not say the model is flawless because of the awful draw bar and limited lift on the linkage but it is a step in the right direction!

• 1 month later...

I would love to put a mounted or even semi-mounted plough on this, but despite the detail on the hitch it won't fit any plough that I have and is unlikely to take the weight :(

Has anyone tried altering the linkage yet or using the link arms for other conversions?

I would love to put a mounted or even semi-mounted plough on this, but despite the detail on the hitch it won't fit any plough that I have and is unlikely to take the weight :( 

Must say that was one of my immediate thoughts too Chris when I bought one from Spalding this year. I nearly thought about buying a Britains Kverneland 8 furrow plough just to pose behind the tractor and take photographs from a front three quarter view even if it wasn't physically hitched to the tractor.

hi , i wrote to Britains in the early 80's to build anIH3388 .i was only 10 at the time n now 40. good  things come to those who wait eh  :)

and you thought  they had just filed your letter in the bin eh mate ::) ::):laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  welcome to ftf by the way, always great to see a new poster on here hope you enjoy yourself now you have broken the duck

Messing around with a scratch-built 1:32 topper today. It fit snugly onto the lower link bars of  the 3588 after I enlarged the holes slightly with a needle file and sanded the pins. But without being able to lengthen the top link it either holds it unrealistically high or not at all.

Lower link arms:

DevonMay20th2011004-1-1.jpg

DevonMay20th2011003.jpg

Raised:

DevonMay20th2011002.jpg

DevonMay20th2011005.jpg

DevonMay20th2011001.jpg

The Britains pto tube looks ok and just about stays in place, but just shows up the clunky pick-up hitch:

DevonMay20th2011006-1.jpg

DevonMay20th2011007.jpg

In working position the top link should be so long:

DevonMay20th2011008.jpg

sounds silly chris, but the top links out down to the topper having the siku hitch part on it?? why not chop that off and with luck it should fit ok then, would only need a few angle bits and a pair of pins fited to get a proper 3 point mount

sounds silly chris, but the top links out down to the topper having the siku hitch part on it?? why not chop that off and with luck it should fit ok then, would only need a few angle bits and a pair of pins fited to get a proper 3 point mount

It's not a Siku hitch by the way, just a nail head glued to another piece. I just made it so I could lock the implement in a raised position, but it's not glued and can be removed.

Solution would be to remove the top link completely and replace it with a piece that can open and close like a ram (a tiny screw/unscrew device would be beyond my means I think)

I rather think the problem lies with the topper not the tractor top link  ;)

The lower link pins on the topper are much too far forward (in reality, they should only be slightly further forward than the top link mounting on the A-frame; or even behind it).

I rather think the problem lies with the topper not the tractor top link  ;)

The lower link pins on the topper are much too far forward (in reality, they should only be slightly further forward than the top link mounting on the A-frame; or even behind it).

Good observation Tim!, yes for this mower I would be working around the fact it was designed to fit standard Britains linkage.

• 2 months later...