silage 2011

Manor Farm

With their lower centre of gravity it takes more to turn a teleporter over then most. I've always used front buckrake and most around my way use either that or a loading shovel but many farmers use a telehandler when doing their own pit as that is the machine they have anyway.

Today I saw two forage wagons. One on the road near Hermon in Wales (Pottinger Jumbo) and the other in a field beside the A48 near Cross Hands (Strautmaan). Wish I could have had a go  :(

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it only in England they use Teleporters for putting up grass on a pit?

Would they not be dodgy when the clamp gets high,it doesn't take much to turn them over?

plenty over here in N.I. aswell

Why use a poxy telehandler for a job that needs weight? Big wheel loaders or 200hp+ tractors with buckrakes are all you see at silage over here. One or two use big pivot steer tractors even.

I was also thinking that,surely you'd need more weight than a Telehandler for packing the pit ???

Why use a poxy telehandler for a job that needs weight? Big wheel loaders or 200hp+ tractors with buckrakes are all you see at silage over here. One or two use big pivot steer tractors even.

The average farmers don't have that kind of kit here Ol, simple as that. Contractors use buckrakes and loading shovels but a farmer who uses a telehandler for every other job on the farm and who does his own silage will more than happily make do with the same tool for what may only be a three or four day job.  :)

Oh and telehandlers are far from poxy!!  ::):laugh:

I was also thinking that,surely you'd need more weight than a Telehandler for packing the pit ???

you'll find most telehandlers are pretty heavy these days so they aint all that bad for packing but aint all that great either due to there thin wheels, does more harm than good we find! we push grass in with a buckrake on front of the tractor, the wheels on the tractor are filled with water to add extra weight, buckrake itself is pretty heavy at 1.5t empty  ;)

it all depends on how fast the silage is coming in and the size of the clamp.

we had 14 ton coming every 15-20 mins, this was plenty of time for us to spread the silage through the clamp and give it a good roll. as we filled the clamp more we got both loaders on the clamp one pushing up and rolling the bottom end and the other spreading it and rolling it at the far end.

it works well for college and there budget. it also makes use of machinery they own and gives us younger lads a chance to get involved.

i mean who would put a 17 year old on a centre pivot loader or 200+ hp tractor and buckrake with only a bit of experience... no one. thats why college can get us involved and doing most of the field work to help us gain experience

The average farmers don't have that kind of kit here Ol, simple as that. Contractors use buckrakes and loading shovels but a farmer who uses a telehandler for every other job on the farm and who does his own silage will more than happily make do with the same tool for what may only be a three or four day job.  :)

Oh and telehandlers are far from poxy!!  ::):laugh:

I know what your saying,realy. ;)

Often not always but often farmers with small tractors,not much time to spear etc etc just pay for the chopping contractor to roll down the pit as part of the job so it's all tidyed up in a day.

I've never worked on a farm in NZ that did it's own pit silage,all my bosses have said leave it to the contractors they do it all day so will do it beter and our time is beter used doing other work and if the silage is not good you've got more come back on the contractor.

Silage has just about finished here. Due to the great weather we went straight into haylage and hay afterwards. About two weeks earlier than usual. Here are two Big M II mowers at work from the same contractor. One machine would have been sufficient for this farmer (170 acres to mow) but the second driver was new and had to learn.

post-820-132639802382_thumb.jpg

Because NZ is a long narrow country theres chopping some were in NZ for 9 months of the year.

Arable farmers chop silage earlyer than dairy farmers and with diffrant growth pattern of grass and maize up and down NZ your for ever seeing choppers and trucks on the road.

Grass is often Spet-Jan

Maize is often March-May

By-passed seed crops or cereal silage is almost any time of the year.

we have been baling silage since september and its just starting to finish now.had a really good growing season this autumn.the quality is not in the silage at this time of year but theres no point in letting it go to waste