silage 2011

Manor Farm

Because there is a hedgerow on the other side and he wouldn't be able to make the turn? If he has to run down the field, turn around and come all the way back that would cost a lot more time?

Does it really matter what is owned and what not? If everyone had to buy all their kit there would probably be a LOT less sales, less frequently updated machinery and so on. With interesting financing rates you'd be madd not to do so. If I had to choose between an contractor that owns his kit and asks more money for the job or one that leases/hires theirs and does it cheaper I know where i'd go to!

On another note: Why is it that there are absolutely no New Holland forage harvesters around? Judging by the NH tractors there must be a dealership somewhere. Are they regarded as not very good machines?

Ah now there a few of the FR series about now and still a few FX (that haven't caught fire yet!) But it seems,

When your going to Grass, You need the Claas  8)  ;D

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_1022Small.jpg

Mowing the first lucerne of the season today (11-05). The Krone Big M II is owned by a large drying plant and started it's 9th season this year. It has 27.000 ha (66.717 acres) under it's belt and drove 80.000 km (50.000 miles). Every winter it is completely overhauled to be sure it will last the full season from May to October.

Ah now there a few of the FR series about now and still a few FX (that haven't caught fire yet!) But it seems,

When your going to Grass, You need the Claas  8)  ;D

be intresting to get the pro drive along side a 970 though, townley has back page of harvest times talking about the new rake and his new combine thats on the way  8)

Started mowing at 10am this morning  ;D  picking up on monday and tuesday if we dont get a lot of rain  ;D

Just a couple of pictures showing one of the fields, looks poor but the picture was in a shaded corner, a bit more on in the middle of the field

post-2197-132639796735_thumb.jpg

post-2197-132639796743_thumb.jpg

most farmers by me have done their silage now , no pics iam affraid ive not been about  :'(  but , i  have noticed that alot of farmers having contractors bring forage wagons instead of the chopper not being a farmer just wondered if there is any majour benefits to a wagon rather than a chopper ?  :-\

most farmers by me have done their silage now , no pictures iam affraid ive not been about  :'(  but , i  have noticed that alot of farmers having contractors bring forage wagons instead of the chopper not being a farmer just wondered if there is any majour benefits to a wagon rather than a chopper ?  :-\

usually cost as theres only the one machine working as a opposed to forager and three trailers also allows the pit man to put each load away and roll as it comes in a little bit slower

usually cost as theres only the one machine working as a opposed to forager and three trailers also allows the pit man to put each load away and roll as it comes in a little bit slower

Ohh fair enough , i had thought that it may have been down to cost just wondered if they had any other benefits. I suppose it give's the pit man some more time to roll it which is a plus point

most farmers by me have done their silage now , no pictures iam affraid ive not been about  :'(  but , i  have noticed that alot of farmers having contractors bring forage wagons instead of the chopper not being a farmer just wondered if there is any majour benefits to a wagon rather than a chopper ?  :-\

Longer chop length, most farmers say this increases rumen efficiency keading to less inputs. Also some say there is less effulent out of the clamp with wagon forage. But the man on the pit needs more time to roll and compact it as the longer fibres dont compress as well as SPFH cut grass

Pretty sure you can alter the chop length by quite a bit on a forage wagon or a forager harvester so there shouldn't be too much difference as far as quality goes. With diesel prices however, forage wagons are a lot cheaper to run and are kinder on the ground than having a big fleet of machinery out there costing an arm and a leg.

You can Tris, but its the nature of the way that some grass is pushed through the knives so doesnt get cut that means long fibre uptake in increased, wheras with a forager more is chopped to the same length, so Im told anyway, not too sure if I can prove that as we are SPFH users at work  ;D

There's a brave bit of grass cleared about here now..

Know of one boy who cut over 200 acres in one night! Very picky farmer, wanted it done right away! 14 Mowers at the one place same time!  :of  :of  Couldn't wait!

I was meant to go and lift it the next night, but someone else took over from me.. I had already done a 15hr shift at it! The harvester landed in the yard at 1.30 am to start to 200+ acres! Harvester had been on the go from the 8am that morning and worked through till it was all lifted!

Now that's Contracting!

It didn't take all night.. Matter of hours from what i gather, but didn't start till 11pm ish... The man could not wait, 3-4 different contractors at it.. Rain was forecast.. Couldn't wait for anyone.. !

No it was all 9-10fts. Triples, Trailed and fronts and a Big M!  ;D

well we have been silaging at college, i have been carting 14 ton trailers on the back of a new holland T6020. the other carting tractor was a jd 6230. (boy did we make them growl with those trailers)

we have been carting with 3 trailers and 2 tractors and picking up with a jd 6530 and trailed chopper.

i ended up on the clamp last night from 9 till we finished at 12:30 as i was trusted more clamping in the dark as i have the most experience out of all the lads.

sorry about picture quality as thry were taken on my phone

post-2337-132639800867_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639801141_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639801195_thumb.jpg

post-2337-132639801213_thumb.jpg

Nice to see your college trusts you with using the tractors, mine doesnt  :-\  , nice to see some pics of a trailed forager & not all SP  :)  bet the 6230 loved a 14 ton trailer  :laugh:  fair tyres on that green trailer