Who does the best packaging?

I got some new Siku bits today and it struck me that Siku's packaging is probably the best. The encased plastic folding packaging ensures a safe delivery and eases getting it out of the box. None of those fiddly awful wires that often do more damage than good (I had a DBP with no paint left on one axle due to the wires) or the screws that UH use which are smaller than a single DNA.

What do you think and conversly who is the worst and does anyone know the packaging costs for alternative methods?

I unboxed quite a few items recently and I seem to remember that the Wiking models were particularly easy to remove. I think it was just moulded polystyrene in two halves. Of course from the manufacturer point of view, it means you can't have a window box. Ertl precisions are that way too. Best way to do it by far in my opinion.

I really can't stand how UH wires in their models, it is so easy to break things while removing them. the way they are wired in so tight and wound around the multi-hole base plate drives me nuts.  >:(  I have to be honest, if the models were the same tractor, I'd buy a Wiking over UH because the quality is the same but packaging is so much better from Wiking.

I haven't had trouble removing the wires on DBP models even though they are the same way, they seem to have allowed a little more room to work.

It must be a problem repackagingmodels to resell when they are wired in.

I feel sorry for the poor dude or dudette who has to wire those UH models onto the bases all day, some job!

Hi just to be clear the DBP I bought had been repacked and not very well so I was not questioning Dave's original packaging.

Agree on the wire front, it's a good job Britains models tend to be a bit more sturdy otherwise they would suffer the same fate as UH ones  :-[

For me it has to be the New UH type. Plinth and then the models screwed to it.

Alot better for me at times, because I can sometimes need to unbox upto 16 at one time For conversions.

Also when Im re-boxing simply just screw it back in and not cutting polystyrene to make the new model fit like before  ;)

Wiking by FAR. All manufacturers should pack their models like that, by law  :police: . Wires are awful and those screws are not much better. I can understand the conversion issues but how often does that happen.

Wiking for me as well, the polystyrene holds the model safely and it is easy to get out without the risk of any damage.

If I could send any message to the manufacturers it would be to do away with those awful wires!

Wiking for me as well, the polystyrene holds the model safely and it is easy to get out without the risk of any damage.

If I could send any message to the manufacturers it would be to do away with those awful wires!

I've never bought a Wiking model so is this plastic/polystyrene tray kinda like the ones that Siku do?

post-3151-132639802699_thumb.jpg

post-3151-132639802714_thumb.jpg

Similar I suppose. The Wiking version is totally enclosed and comes in two halves.

The other good thing is that if you decide that a model is no longer required on display and has been superseded then it can go back safely into the box and be held just as securely as if it was new. Unlike those that were held by the wire ties that will now be loose in the box and liable to get damaged as it is almost impossible to replace them if like me you just cut them with wire clippers.

Similar I suppose. The Wiking version is totally enclosed and comes in two halves.

The other good thing is that if you decide that a model is no longer required on display and has been superseded then it can go back safely into the box and be held just as securely as if it was new. Unlike those that were held by the wire ties that will now be loose in the box and liable to get damaged as it is almost impossible to replace them if like me you just cut them with wire clippers.

I see, sounds good. The wires cannot come under enough criticism for me, I have broken several models and have tried to unravel them but some, Britains in particular, are ridiculously tangled and tight.

wiking are good being enclosed, great protection for a detailed model, but uh would be as good if they used a bigger screw head  instead of the poxy small ones they use now, few have taken me ages to get off, one was broken off then removed with a pair of pliers, no idea what they do them up with

wiking are good being enclosed, great protection for a detailed model, but uh would be as good if they used a bigger screw head  instead of the poxy small ones they use now, few have taken me ages to get off, one was broken off then removed with a pair of pliers, no idea what they do them up with

I know exactly what you mean, I have a small screwdriver set but ended up having to 'plier off' a screw of on my New Holland with loader model.

I know exactly what you mean, I have a small screwdriver set but ended up having to 'plier off' a screw of on my New Holland with loader model.

You need a special screwdriver.  Some of the !;43 car model makers supply them.  They are not star headed but sort of triangular.  Think I have about 4 of them so have some spare.

....don't all rush as I have to find them!

• 11 months later...

Just had this problem with the UH Ford 8830 I got a few days ago. What a nightmare to open them. I have the little screw drivers to get them out, but they were just TOO TIGHT & i rounded the heads alittle. Usually i never have this problem opening them. But nearly failed this time.Even if the heads were a little bigger & not as tight. PLEASE UH TAKE NOTE!!!! Edited by justy 46