Ryks pics from Soham

FB

no, most seem to favour 2 or 3 furrow ploughs but the farmer i used to work for took a NH8870 and 6 furrow semi mounted plough to one. Goes in various classes for example: 2 furrow conventional/reversible, 3 furrow conventional/reversible, 4 furrow and above just to give you an idea

nice pics ryk,can any one answer a probabal numpty question,why when they do these competitions do they only use 2 furrow ploughs,well the majority of them anyway?

I reckon it's because:

1. seeing as the front furrow is the only one ajustable in it's width ( To keep ones plot parallel & hence matching each bout across the whole plot) it's easier to keep the work parallel as one has control of 50% of the run (each pass) whereas with a four furrow for instance only 25% or only half as much chance of correcting any discrepancy before one runs out of ground.

2. A shorter plough is more controlable from back to front for evenness of depth

3. The track width needed for a 2 furrow corresponds with the last wheel mark being in a neater position on top of the work (?)

However when we ran a 4 furrow conventional in the early 60's I seem to remember the 4th furrow turned in most of the on-land wheelmark & certainly a 5 furrow swallowed it all.

4. The reduced weight makes the tractor sink less for  less soil compaction which can show up in the turned furrow and with all the hydraulic adjusters they have on them now they probably weigh as much as acommercial 4 furrow would.

5. The plough will be generally easier to control in all soil types with less furrows. Imagine going from light fluffy loam to blue clay the next day ( from one match site to another) & the different settings required with such differing draft forces being exerted on the bodies.

6.Narrower tyres can be used to avoid any pinching of the upturned furrow that would show up if compressed partially by a wider tyre than the furrow width.

7. If the conditions are wet, hopefully one can still get along at an even depth & levelness with 2 furrows where more would require lifting the plough to gain traction & cause an uneven finish & no prizes.

8.Maintenancee much easier on 2 than more bodies.These guys will change shares & wings etc from one site to the next according to conditions...a nightmare with more furrows.

Hope this is of some use, I expect there are other reasons that match ploughman can add,it's all got a lot more technical than when I used to play at it with my bent 3 furrow reversable that had ploughed out more rocks, tree stumps & ash tree roots on many acres of reclaiming woodland than I care to remember .