what size trailers can you pull at 17 behind a tractor???

jordantaylor

i am going to be driving tractors for through the harvest for a 7000 acre arable farm.

i do not have my tractor licence but i have my provisional licence of which i can drive a tractor on.

what trailers can i tow under this provisional

i know i can tow anything up to 18 ton when i pass my car test which i should not be far off doing now anyway.

just wondering if im honest as i dont want to pull a 16 ton trailer if i can only tow 14 ton

(you know how arsey the police can get)

feedback will be much apreciated

ok thanks, sure u can see where im coming from though, they treet young drivers like myself like 5 year olds and like we havnt got a clue

esspecially around my area, the big arable boys are prime targets as there are many young drivers

Thanks for the description Sean  :'( :'( :'(

Jordan

I am in work tonight from 10pm tonight so I will check up on the legal database on the position for you.

Mike will give you a definitive answer but until then, as I understand the Law, if you have passed your tractor road test and you will be hauling on the public highway, being in posession of a 'provisional' license you are restricted to 3 tonnes. It always used to be the case that this weight could not be exceeded until you had a 'full' license and have attained your 21st birthday. Hauling trailers and loads with modern equipment is very much subject and open to interpretation.

it's vosa that'll be out to get you really the max gross train weight for anyone pulling a tractor and trailer is 24.39 tons so no one can really pull a 14 ton trailer fully loaded with a decent sized tractor on anyway. There are plenty of people who who are a long way over the weight limit and speed limit though

This could be interesting when Mike finds out the way the law stands.

Way Im reading this at the moment I can drive a tractor and trailer that Jordan can't because I passed my tractor test but I'm 16, as long as its not over 2.45meters and close coupled trailer etc, could someone clarify that?

what about impliments then, i dont think ive ever heard any rules or laws on them for any age, just common sense on what u can use or feel comfortable with taking on the road

there musr be rules on the weights you can take surely,

if so this would also be usefull info

I think it's best to hold fire and see what mike comes up with , vosa have nothing to do with the rules of the road just Vehicle condition and weight ect basically nothing to do with the question asked , and the issue on implements again isn't what you asked about in the first place, I am sure everyone will have a view on this but in my opinion only one persons reply counts maybe two if bgu logs on and sees this as like mike he's a policeman

This could be interesting when Mike finds out the way the law stands.

Way Im reading this at the moment I can drive a tractor and trailer that Jordan can't because I passed my tractor test but I'm 16, as long as its not over 2.45meters and close coupled trailer etc, could someone clarify that?

Pretty much - at 16 with full cat F licence: both tractor and trailer must be less than 2,45 metres and must be two wheeled or four close coupled wheels (i.e. tandem axle). 

Also note that due to the size and weight of many larger tractors nowadays that if the weight of the tractor itself exceeds 7370kg, you have to be 21 to take it on the public highway.

Otherwise, the same weight restrictions apply as will apply to anyone 17 or over:- maximum gross train weight (tractor + trailer) must not exceed 24390kg, and the maximum permitted gross weight for an agricultural trailer on the road is 18290kg. Note that there is a requirement that the ratio of the gross weight of the trailer to the weight of the tractor must not exceed 4:1, and the maximum speed limit for agricultural tractors and trailers on the road is 20mph (unless they have a dual line braking system which achieves at least 50% efficiency - agricultural tractors and trailers only need to achieve 25%).

I am not aware of there ever having been any special restriction on 16 year olds or provisional licence holders carrying rear mounted implements beyond the restrictions which apply to all (the 2.45metre width restriction will again apply to a 16 year old).

Raise your hand if you are now officially confused  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :of :of :of

I give a long time trying to figure this all out, I found that around here there is no actual answer! Yes I even went to police and they weren't much help. Go with what your happy with and hope for the best but keep it sensible  ;)  ;D

Regulation 3 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 contains definitions of expressions and vehicles relating to the Regulations. The following definitions refer to agricultural vehicles: <blockquote> AGRICULTURAL OR FORESTRY TRACTOR

An agricultural or forestry tractor within the meaning of Community Directive 82/890.

AGRICULTURAL MOTOR VEHICLE

A motor vehicle which is constructed or adapted for use off roads for the purpose of agriculture, horticulture or forestry and which is primarily used for one or more of those purposes, not being a dual-purpose vehicle.

AGRICULTURAL TRAILER

A trailer which is constructed or adapted for the purpose of agriculture, horticulture or forestry and which is only used for one or more of those purposes, not being an agricultural trailed appliance.

AGRICULTURAL TRAILED APPLIANCE

A trailer:

<blockquote> (a) which is an implement constructed or adapted:

<blockquote> (i) for use off roads for the purpose of agriculture, horticulture or forestry and which is only used for one or more of those purposes,

and

(ii) so that, save in the case of an appliance manufactured before 1st December 1985, or a towed roller, its maximum gross weight is not more than twice its unladen weight;

but</blockquote> (B) which is not :

<blockquote> (i) a vehicle which is used primarily as living accommodation by one or more persons, and which carries no goods or burden except those needed by such one or more persons for the purpose of their residence in the vehicle;

or

(ii) an agricultural, horticultural or forestry implement rigidly but not permanently mounted on any vehicle whether or not supported by one or more of its own wheels; so however that such an implement is an agricultural trailed appliance if

- part of the weight of the implement is supported by one or more of its own wheels, and

- the longitudinal axis of the greater part of the implement is capable of articulating in the horizontal plane in relation to the longitudinal axis of the rear portion of the vehicle on which it is mounted. </blockquote></blockquote>

AGRICULTURAL TRAILED APPLIANCE CONVEYOR

An agricultural trailer which:

<blockquote> (a) has an unladen weight which does not exceed 510 kg;

(B) is clearly and indelibly marked with its unladen weight;

© has a pneumatic tyre fitted to each of its wheels;

(d) is designed and constructed for the purpose of conveying one agricultural trailed appliance or one agricultural, horticultural or forestry implement.</blockquote></blockquote>

Item 5. A track-laying motor vehicle - maximum length is 9.2 metres.

Item 6. An agricultural trailed appliance manufactured on or after 1st December 1985 - maximum length is 15 metres.

Item 7. A semi-trailer manufactured on or after 1st May 1983 which does not meet the requirements of paragraph (6) and is not a low loader - maximum length is 12.2 metres.

Item 7A. A composite trailer drawn by:

(a) a goods vehicle being a motor vehicle having a maximum gross weight exceeding 3500 kg; or

(B) an agricultural motor vehicle - maximum length is 14.04 metres.

Item 8. A trailer (not being a semi-trailer or composite trailer) with at least 4 wheels which is:

(a) drawn by a goods vehicle being a motor vehicle having a maximum gross weight exceeding 3500 kg; or

(B) an agricultural trailer - maximum length is 12 metres.

I have been looking at the Con and Use Regs for the last hour and I am struggling to make any sense of them as they are very confusing. I ended up googling it and came up with the site that Mark (4055 power) came up with as the best explanation that I can find. This site does seem to suggest that to drive a vehicle with a train weight over 7370kgs you need to be 21 years of age. I would suggest that there are few modern tractor and trailer combinations that are under this weight.

Young drivers beware, you may be unwittingly committing an offence and, if the worst happens and you are involved in an accident then you may face prosecution.

Basically then, in modern day practice. . .. It's unworkable and the farmers and contractors of this world need a completely separate body with the influence VOSA has over the haulage industry! I thought the rules surrounding driving lorries was complicated but compared to that lot, it's a breeze!  :of::)

ive got to be honest i really dont get it.

i am personaly going to carry on as i was before driving with trailers i am comfortable with.

i know my limits and i have never taken a trailer over 14 ton on the road. when i pass my car test i might start taking 16 ton and then do my trailer test.

but personaly i will ask my boss if i can go on cultivations later in the season so im not taking 18+ ton of potatoes down the road. id rather take a few tons of sumo instead or other mintill kit instead of a large root crop trailer with high tonage loads.

i just think it will be too risky taking high tonage loads on the average of a 20 mile run from field to farm