Print your own decals paper

Farmersam

Question

20 answers to this question

Thats how I used to do them when I first started out.. Worked pretty well for the odd job here and there, but takes bit of time to apply them etc. and can be a bit annoying if they fold over on each other and get stuck etc..  ::)

Fiddly and a bit of a pain in my personal opinion. I find clear vinyl or dry rub-off (which is very thin and what I use for all my transit vans) decals much easier and just as effective. Normally, when I show a customer all the options available they rarely choose waterslide. :)

Thanks everyone, that all very helpful.  :D Where can you get clear vinyl or dry rub-off decal paper?

I buy all my paper from:

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/default.aspx

You may have to ask them about clear vinyl, though, as I couldn't find it on their website. If you're stuck let me know and I can always get some in for you :)

Waterslide can be tricky,but if your familiar with Airfix & Revell kits ,it should be second nature to ya!

Have done a few myself.  I found them quite easy to use but I soon learnt how they fold over and stick to themselves!  :)

I buy all my paper from:

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/default.aspx

You may have to ask them about clear vinyl, though, as I couldn't find it on their website. If you're stuck let me know and I can always get some in for you :)

I rember looking at that site last year and thinking that they looked quite good. Like Light Land said,  it sounds like your the easiest way to make decals  ;)

Have done a few myself.  I found them quite easy to use but I soon learnt how they fold over and stick to themselves!  :)

I also found waterslide to be a little thicker than I'd like. I still use them for certain projects, but still much prefer dry decal or vinyl. With dry decal you can also go over bumpy areas to a degree.

Yeah had that problem too a few times. Put it back in lukewarm again & it might straighten again. IF YOUR LUCKY! ;)

i would use mandy or another provider now , i did try waterslide, and whilst more than used to it from my younger model making years, i found it always seemed very wishy washy colour wise, especially the clear one, even with a colour laser jet printing them, mandy did the decals for my recent lely combine build  and did a hell of a job on them sharpening them up and giving me the option of clear sticky and rubb off in one go

Thanks for all the compliments guys :-[:-[ :-[:-[

I have used waterslide to good effect, but they work best on a really flat surface, need spraying thoroughly with a fixer (to keep the image in-place when wet) and seal with varnish afterwards to prevent lifting - a really long-winded way of going about it when you can just use a clear vinyl sticker instead for the same result, in my opinion.

If your surface has any undulations then a dry rub-off decal is better, because it's thinner, softer and you can push it into the surface to a certain degree (ie. for my vans I push the decal into the crease down the centre). You just have to be careful on a painted surface, as you can pull the paint off when you rub the dry decal into place.