To Snipe or not to Snipe.. that is the question (taken from made you laugh today topic)

nick a

The key qustion is... IN THE MAIN, are you a...  

28 members have voted

1. 1. The key qustion is... IN THE MAIN, are you a...

• Sniper
    • Nibbler
    • Automatic Bidder
    • Conventional Bidder
    • Other.. state in a post below please

Sniping is actually the term used for a last minute bid I believe... so if the bid comes in the last few bids of the auction it's been sniped I guess....

It's just as dangerous to put in an early maximum bid than it is to snipe as you are effectively both doing it blind... My personal philosophy with auctions is that something is only worth what you are willing to pay for it..... and letting the world know that at the very last opportunity must be the best way of going about things really. Before a lovely lady I know introduced me to sniping, I was in a constant biding war with a handful of buyers... things were escalating beyond the sane and reasonable... we were all paying far far far too much for stuff. Then I went to sniping... BINGO... they all thought I'd given up  ;D .. and make that cheesy grin a double  ;D ;D ... now my fellow bidders have to try to second guess if I've even seen a brochure, let alone if I'm interested in it... don't get me wrong... I've had a few knocks... more so in recent times as sniping invades my particular area of interest on eBay... but I have saved a small fortune in recent years... longlive the snipe I say.

Nick was in the same dangerous position in my humble opinion... had the 'snipee' not have valued the item as much as Nick had gone then it would have been his... possibly for his maximum bid  :of .. I made that very mistake last week when I paid my exact maximum for a brochure I was confident would go for half or less than it actually did... guess what... to a bidder like Nick who'd put in an early and unchallenged high maximum bid. The golden rule is not to go any more than you are willing to pay... anything under that you get it for is a bonus.. well that's how I look at it anyway  :-[

sorry if mis understood sniping i am man enough to admit my mistakes. Your advice on bidding Mark appreciated  and very valid points. IN this case i personally know the seller so it wasnt as dangerous as it could have been  ;D . The other person wanted goods that bad  so why not make em pay lots of fun .

I'm sorry Nick but what you describe is proxy bidding, where you get a friend or aquaintance to bid an item up even though they have no intention of buying it just to artificially raise the sale price.

That sort of bidding is banned by eBay and if discovered then the seller would have his/her account withdrawn. It is also one of the reasons why I never bid until the last few seconds of the listing.

My view is that it is no use being the high bidder with hours or even days to go, I want to be the high bidder when the auction ends and so I do not bid beforehand because all that does is to drive up the final price.

You lot might think it's funny I think it's ******g stupid. I've now got the problem to sort out and with my Husband Roger in Leicester heart hospital for the past 4 weeks after suffering a heart attack on Spalding sunday I could do without this worry.

And Nick just because you think you know us personally it doesn't mean to say I would have let you of paying.

Thanks

Val Warby

no rules have been broken! lots of fun had ;D  they wanted it that bad  they got it. e bay would hve to do a lot to prove proxy bidding although this wasnt the case anyway.

eBay don't have to prove anything. If they have the slightest concern then they would suspend the bidders account without any hesitation.

You lot might think it's funny I think it's ******g stupid. I've now got the problem to sort out and with my Husband Roger in Leicester heart hospital for the past 4 weeks after suffering a heart attack on Spalding sunday I could do without this worry.

And Nick just because you think you know us personally it doesn't mean to say I would have let you of paying.

Thanks

Val Warby

Val I'm very to sorry to hear the news. My best wishes to you both and a speedy recovery.

Peter

I'm sorry Nick but what you describe is proxy bidding, where you get a friend or aquaintance to bid an item up even though they have no intention of buying it just to artificially raise the sale price.

That sort of bidding is banned by eBay and if discovered then the seller would have his/her account withdrawn. It is also one of the reasons why I never bid until the last few seconds of the listing.

My view is that it is no use being the high bidder with hours or even days to go, I want to be the high bidder when the auction ends and so I do not bid beforehand because all that does is to drive up the final price.

I thought it was called Shill Bidding.

eBay's definition being-

"Shill bidding is when sellers—or someone they know—place a bid on their item to drive the price up. This is called artificial bidding. Often the people placing bids have certain information about the seller's item that other shoppers aren't aware of. To make sure no one gets an unfair advantage, shill bidding is prohibited on eBay."

A bl___y stupid thing to do.

Thanks

Val Warby

Val that's awful news.. I wish your hubby a speedy recovery.

Nick... I'm glad you've taken my post in the right way to which it was intended.. As you say... no harm done and I assume as the bidder put in his own maximum price then he'll be happy to pay the 'hammer price' .... You did run a risk of winning the item though... and I know if I was in Val's shoes I'd be insisting you paid too as that's the rules of bidding at any auction. eBay doesn't even let the seller know the value of an early placed automatic bid.. so you could easily have owned an new item there  :of

EDIT: PLEASE KEEP IT FRIENDLY GUYS AS WELL...

I know some online auctions now put anti-snipe components in the sale where the auction is prolonged for between 1 - 3 minutes if someone bids in the last few seconds. There is a rumour ebay will do the same at some point in 2012 as from their point of view, its a significant chunk lost revenue I guess  :-\ . For sellers it would be good news, but it would change the bidding habbits of the vast majority of buyers I would think.

So you effectively broken the eBay rules then nick well to me that's bloody wrong , I hope the buyer isn't a member on here or joins and finds out . With luck eBay will ban you , there's nothing worse than shilling as eBay call it in my eyes .

As for your news val I am so sorry to here that and hope Roger has a speedy recovery

Here here, Val. Sniping to win and so on I don't see as a problem, I'm not a user as such but I have used it here and there. I can think of far better ways to have fun than running bids just to force someone to part with their cash isn't one of them though. Although forcing someone to part with cash for something they have bought in word of mouth is something I'd certainly like to do :D Given Vals reaction, I hope it sets an example to those who run up bids 'for fun' that it isn't just the buyer who  it upsets . . . .

i too am a sniper, same reasons as Mark has mostly. Putting a preliminairy bid on an item will only result in an higher end price and i rather buy more for less then less for more..

i have already got some experience with auction sites where lots will be extended when a bid is placed in the last 10 minutes, if more bids are placed, it can even be extended twice.. works fine for the seller, less well for me as a buyer as i end up more often with higher end prices..

So as a seller on ebay, i definately would not mind extended bidding, but as a buyer, please not...  ;)

I hope your other-half is recovering okay, Val and I'm ever so sorry to hear what happened.

As for sniping - the facility is there, it's legal, practical and is a good way of setting yourself a limit to ensure you don't get carried away. As a Seller I've acknowledged that eBay has changed over the past couple of years and as a result, I don't put anything on at auction that I can't afford to lose on - it's a gamble after all and as such, can work either for or against you.

But, I'd be disappointed in anyone I thought would be petty enough to run up bids for the sake of it - especially without the intention of paying.  Goodwill is vital in this small community of model farming, whether you're a buyer or seller and word gets around very fast indeed if you upset people.

I know some online auctions now put anti-snipe components in the sale where the auction is prolonged for between 1 - 3 minutes if someone bids in the last few seconds. There is a rumour ebay will do the same at some point in 2012 as from their point of view, its a significant chunk lost revenue I guess  :-\ . For sellers it would be good news, but it would change the bidding habbits of the vast majority of buyers I would think.

By anti snipe do you mean those bidding sites or anyone bidding in the last few seconds?

The rules are the same for everyone so what is wrong with last second biding? its not illegal is it?

I nearly always bid, personally, in the last few seconds. I do not always win, but then NO WIN, NO FEE  :laugh: :laugh:

With regards a "significant chunk of lost revenue" that's just greed rearing its ugly head ::) as seems to be the way in this country.

I know................................ you pays your money, you takes your choice ;)

It wouldnt suprise me as Ebay has pretty much destroyed the selling aspect of the site. Its only buyer's who they have left to squeeze so I would say its an inevitability  >:( . I have been on the wrong end of last second bidding from time to time losing an item because someone else's connection is probably quicker than mine.  :'(

As a seller on ebay, I will be honest and say sniping annoys me, as I'm sure it would anybody else, but then the blame lies on ebay again for not having lower fees for reserves or starting prices etc..

I usually snipe in the last 4 or 5 seconds on eBay; I have found it is the only way of standing a decent chance of winning without bidding way over the top. I decide the maximum and that is the bid I enter - if I win, I havent paid any more than what I think it is worth; if someone else has bid more than I think it is worth, so be it, I don't cry into my soup over it.

If you leave an early proxy bid, there always seems to be a 'nibbler' who keeps bidding in small increments until they get one increment ahead of your proxy - your only hope of being successfuls if you leave a proxy which is way over the top, as the winning bidder in the listing the OP referred to has done (and is now going to have to pay the price for his folly).

The other danger with proxy bids, is that some unscrupulous sellers can 'bid up' the price using another account (or getting a mate to do so), and whilst this shill bidding is against the rules, it is unpleasantly common, and eBay do not appear to have the resources to catch up with them all (if you suspect shill bidding, report it to eBay as this sometimes alerts them/spurs them to action). 

The BIG risk with running another bidder up,  whether it be against a proxy on eBay or  against another live bidder (or a clever auctioneer bouncing bids 'off the wall') in a bricks and mortar auction room, is that you might go one bid too far;  then it is you with the big bill to pay (and egg on your face  ;) )

If eBay go to the same system as sites like eBid use, whereby the auction is extended by several minutes if a bid is submitted close to the end (auto-extension), it will obviously stop last second snipes, and if it results in most items ending at higher end bids, I probably won't be bidding on much in future.

EBays usual greed suggests that it will probably happen, but they are a business, and most businesses are greedy, it's not just eBay - I notice that Vectis have to increased their buyers premium to 20% + VAT (their selling commission was already 20% + VAT + 2% insurance charge; in future the vendor will only be getting about 50% of what the successful bidder has payed out! 

All hail the snipe, I say  :)