To Snipe or not to Snipe.. that is the question (taken from made you laugh today topic)

nick a

The key qustion is... IN THE MAIN, are you a...  

28 members have voted

1. 1. The key qustion is... IN THE MAIN, are you a...

• Sniper
    • Nibbler
    • Automatic Bidder
    • Conventional Bidder
    • Other.. state in a post below please

Ebay is like any other auction , the maximum bid wins, dosn't matter if you put the bid in at the start or in the last 4-5 seconds, if your bid is the highest you win. If you don't win then someone else has bid more, simple as that, so no point in whingeing about snipeing or whatever, if someone else wins the auction it's simply because they were prepared to pay more for the item.

Ebay is like any other auction , the maximum bid wins, dosn't matter if you put the bid in at the start or in the last 4-5 seconds, if your bid is the highest you win. If you don't win then someone else has bid more, simple as that, so no point in whingeing about snipeing or whatever, if someone else wins the auction it's simply because they were prepared to pay more for the item.

best worded quote in this whole topic allis,spot on in what you say

100% spot on, i use it occasionaly, usally on stuff thats finishing when at work or late night early morn, and like ploughmaster my top bid is final end of story, its straight forward and easy saves me being tied in to the mobile or laptop when i am busy or need to get some ugly sleep, have no worrys if someone beats me price using that or normal bidding, 

True... BUT... to avoid a nibble one has to snipe  ;) ... you see it runs deep this eBay bidding thing... It harks back to caveman times when Sean bearley walked upright and Tris's knuckles dragged along the ground.... hang on.. that was this week... anyway... what I am trying to say is... it's me versus the rest of the world... a game of who dares wins... a game of skill... pitching my whits against theirs... dog eat dog...

Oh sod it... I agree with Allis  :-[

Oi cheeky chops Chanel, I heard that!! :D :D

Allis has put it in one easy to read reply brilliantly.

It seems there were two points being made. Sniping etc who some do not mind while others do, which of course is fine and nothing wrong in that. The other of course was running someone up to bid higher which I think we all agree happens but is not fair.

I know a chap who did this and the other bidder dropped out at the last minute. It cost him over £5k . . . . I think it's technically called having it 'stuffed up your bum' :D :D

It seems there were two points being made. Sniping etc who some do not mind while others do, which of course is fine and nothing wrong in that. The other of course was running someone up to bid higher which I think we all agree happens but is not fair.

I know a chap who did this and the other bidder dropped out at the last minute. It cost him over £5k . . . . I think it's technically called having it 'stuffed up your bum' :D :D

.. Illegal... dishonest and blatently not 'cricket'

Sorry about the knuckle thing mate  :-[  .. I have a bad day and they say we always lash out at the ones we love  :-[

You're right of course, but only if you do pay for the item you win... it is easy enough to cancel and transaction - a system designed for genuine bidders, who perhaps unintentionally hit a wrong key and put too many 0000s on their bid ;)  I suppose if you were a shill bidder and frequently cancelled transactions eBay would start looking into it though :-\

Ebay is like any other auction , the maximum bid wins, doesn't matter if you put the bid in at the start or in the last 4-5 seconds, if your bid is the highest you win. If you don't win then someone else has bid more, simple as that, so no point in whingeing about sniping or whatever, if someone else wins the auction it's simply because they were prepared to pay more for the item.

That is not entirely true. The problem people have with 'sniping' is that someone will bid in the last 2 or 3 seconds and by the time he has put in a higher bid there is no time to react, even if you were prepared to pay more for it. If everyone put down his maximum amount it wouldn't matter of course, but many don't.

I use a combined strategy myself on Ebay. There's items I really want, items I want and items I wouldn't mind. When it comes to the first I just put my maximum in 15 min before the item ends and make sure it is a good bid. Second class I go down the sniping route and hope for the best and third I just put in an amount when I see it (usually 99p) and if it goes above I don't bother. Surprisingly option 3 usually works best!

I voted for sniper as I guess it's what I do most. Just hate them now as I lost that nice Commandor combine brochure on one recently  >:( .

Especially when she's  ... ...  :-X

I like this way too:

I try to snipe (by hand) everytime. It is a sport as such to win an auction in the very last second. Those are the bests wins and the bests deals.

To actually see you won something by a second or two with a manual bid makes you feel ever so slightly smug  :)

Tried to do a last second bid manually a while ago but got caught out when I bid with seconds to go and then found that my log in had expired. By the time I had logged back in the item had finished and it went for far less than I was prepared to go to...........ever since then I have sniped!  >:( >:(>:( >:(