What is this little "tool" used for ?

I was given a small present when I first footed an uncle of mine today. Nothing big, but something quite old and had come from one of the salesmen at Neil Ross Tractors so I suspect it could maybe be as old as my tractor and it was new in 1957. Anyway can't say for sure it is as old as that but a nice simple question today since well some of your heads might not be functioning as well as normal today after the Hogmanay celebrations.

It came in packaging but this is the back minus any writing.

No clues since I'm sure this is a easy one ;) ;)

ST839278.jpg

And the "tool" itself.

ST839277.jpg

Sack opener ,used to have something similar when I was younger before they trusted me with a proper knife, which I stop have to somewhere

Another good answer Sean and could maybe be used for that but again not its intended use.

I know Paul ....I speed read as well...however although my tractor was made and registered in 1957 the tooll might not be as old. What my uncle said and he is 87 was he had got it from a Neil Ross salesman probably about the time of the Nuffield. I know they did buy other machines from Neil Ross so might not be as old as he was making out.

Well mine was and it was sold as that to  bill I was with my grandad when he bought it for me see

I may have speed read the writing on the other side of the folder Sean :-[:-[

But what kind of bags did you open with your one Sean ???

i've use them for cutting dpm and light gauge polythene.

Is it for cutting baler twine?

Mark and Paul again like Paul and Sean you are on the right thread.......it is used for xxxxing and xxxing

Is it for stripping insulation off electric cable,??

Regards

Joe.

Here's tae us,wae's like us. ;)

Wha's like us

Damn few

And they're a' deid

Mair's the pity.

Again Joe could be used for that I suppose

Bang on.... I had some Histon Produce ones made about 10 years ago... box openers they were called when I bought them

Thanks for talking part folks.

First place to Neil's

Second to Me Lordie

and Third to Sean for his sack opening use which I think comes under the definition below ;D ;D

ST839283.jpg

I have something of the same sort in amongst my collection of agricultural advertising ephemora. I think that it could be interpreted as 'the key to good bales'

Key1.jpg

Turn it over and it has a little slider on it...............

Key2.jpg

Slide it forward to the point of the key and out comes a very sharp little Stanley type steel blade.

Key3.jpg

This time I sped read the pictures...but looking at the key again there appears to be a screw and two dowel like bits on it. Does that mean you could have replaced the blade when blunt but unscrewing the key ???

On my splitter paper knife I think one it was blunt you would have just thrown it away.

I believe Bill that it was from around the time that the NH 'Super-Hayliner balers came out between the mid to late 1960's, I found it in the sealed polythene bag that contained the model 68 baler owners manual together with a keyring that is a ball of 'Red Star' baler twine. I'll post up a pic of that as well if you would like to see it.

It doesn't come apart Bill, like yours, once it was either blunt or busted you chucked it. It's nice that at least some of these sort of items just got forgot about and survived, I reckon you'd be luky to find anything of this sort nowadays and companies don't advertise with these little 'give-away's' as they did then, lucky if you get a 'cheapo' pen that won't write! Claas do a nice bottle opener.