70S & 80S Weeks Twin 7 Grain & Silage Trailers

Valley Axe Man

Thats two trailer manufacturers that i not too familiar with oliver, i've seen a few Gull grain and beet trailers on my travels but none locally, and Norton is a new brand to me Oliver, i'll have to have a look into that. Systems trailers (one chassis and axle/ pto drive and various body options) Andrew Anderson scratch built up a jf systems trailer with silage kit on to go with his side mounted jf fc80, Atkinson's of Clitheroe (known for best for their spreaders for lime and muck, had a similar systems set up) but in all weren't that common about up here Sean but i know what you mean about machinery that you know for years but never track down its manufacturer, :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

know of 1 or 2 old nortons down this way ,both grain versions, but on muck dutys now,

your right there paul, would love to know what brand that trailer was, many a happy day spent riding round on the top of the meal sacks between the 2 main farms, feeding pigs ect, that outlasted many tractors on the farm in fact, even the tiper we used on the muck daily bust before that did, tow eye went, and when it droped it bent the arm, and that was another local made number, but just wasnt as strong

Hi Oliver thanks for pic of Norton trailer, i've been racking my brains but still don't remember seeing one locally :) Sometimes Sean if a local farmer built his own trailer but built in a bit of extra strength he'd get orders for a few more during the quieter times of year, Maybe your trailer was a local farmer build, theres a few not far from here that are like that, built simple but yet strong, and would outlast an anvil!! ;) ;)

very true paul, i can always remember the sides being very heavy to put back up, even when i was older, lot heavier than the pettit trailers they had, and the muck trailer to, which was repaired several times with new timbers in the side pannels ,sadly something you dont see to much of now a days ,farmers building kit like that, its as easy to buy in and dispose of when they wear out now, sign of our throw away atitude i guess

Trailer manufacturers are fairly territorial on the whole; often having grown out of what was originally a blacksmithing business or small local agricultural engineers. Only a few makes have gained nationwide visibility.

Norton are one such make; they have been around for some years but will be cheifly known around their home area of Somerset (surprised they haven't stretched down to Devon?).

Makes which are common in their locality are virtually unheard of elsewhere - round my area in Lincolnshire most trailers are Baileys or Marston/AS (or one of their sub brands), with a few Armstrong & Holmes (who are a fairly small scale maker). I have come across an odd Fraser and one or two Triffits.

Some other makes which some members on here look upon as commonplace are unheard of here - I've never seen or heard of a Kane round here for a start, nor a Stewart, a West or a Norton for that matter.

Years ago we had Martin Markham Trailers in Stamford, and Michael Brunton Trailers of Claypole, both long disappeared now, but I doubt many people outside of the immediate area would have heard of Bruntons even when they were in operation.

However, (and seeing the original title of this thread), I don't think there is much hope of Britains/Ertl making any vintage trailers (or other vintage implements - it's been hard enough getting them to do any up to date ones! ::)

to be honest clive i cant think of any devon based trailer makers like that, sure there was some, even now its a very mixed lot of modern stuff, see wottons, marstons, westerns ,bailleys ,and a few west,know of stuarts and recently a couple of kane have appeared, one guy runs all redrocks, only ones i have seen . a while back rollands were very popular all of a sudden all seem to come through one dealer mind, masons the jd dealer up newton abbot way, most seem to have their dealer sticker on. guess the devon boys like to try all options,when i was younger there always seemed to be a lot of home made looking trailers arround, usally tin sheet sides for silage, even now i could find people using the old tin hopper angled at the back on a flat bed tipper for grain dutys

• 2 weeks later...