70S & 80S Weeks Twin 7 Grain & Silage Trailers

Valley Axe Man

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David, yep thems the little rascals! :) Phil also did a conversion on a Britains claas to a Weeks silage trailer, his display was good at Newark, and always puts on a good show :) :)

Really enjoy viewing Phil's displays, especially given all those lovely blue tractors which i'm a huge fan of. Those trailers of his look very nice in his potato harvesting scene. :)

Hi David, if you fancy a trip over the Pennines on 29th April, Phil and a few other "Blue" men are coming to the Chris Whitehead memorial Show, We had a good response so far and should be a good show all being well :) Dad was a Keen "Blue" fan and left quite a collection. He too liked 70s/80s machinery and was responsible for my interest in the hobby too! :) I try and put some pictures up!

thanks guys, just a shame we don't see a production trailer l;ike this with all the older kit arround now, took some doing, the woods all individual wood strips, took ages to find a nice one with stains and knots in it, with the darker look to it to.would have had silage tops to, but pettite never made a 8 ton one just 6 then 10's

thanks guys, just a shame we don't see a production trailer l;ike this with all the older kit arround now, took some doing, the woods all individual wood strips, took ages to find a nice one with stains and knots in it, with the darker look to it to.would have had silage tops to, but pettite never made a 8 ton one just 6 then 10's

I had an idea for a scratch build something like that a while back,something like a home build silage trailer. I was thinking about using lollipop sticks,like you can buy in packs of hundreds in arts and crafts shops,cut the curves off and then trim them to size.Was thinking this idea could be useful for future projects like that for yourself.

Just an idea!

i use them for buildings ,but a bit to big for a trailers boards, well for this, they are 4mm x 1 mm each, came in strips of 30cm for my local model shop, sadly they dont sell it anymore, as i fancied a pair of single axel ones at some point, or a ransomes 8 tonner infact

Hi David, if you fancy a trip over the Pennines on 29th April, Phil and a few other "Blue" men are coming to the Chris Whitehead memorial Show, We had a good response so far and should be a good show all being well :) Dad was a Keen "Blue" fan and left quite a collection. He too liked 70s/80s machinery and was responsible for my interest in the hobby too! :) I try and put some pictures up!

That sounds fantastic Paul, i'll endeavour to keep the date free and head over. Whilst I enjoy photographing and collecting most makes of real and miniature tractors there's definitely more blue in my blood than anything else. Largely down to the fact that the family farm my Dad was brought up on has seen nothing but Fordson / Ford / and now New Holland tractors run by my Uncle.

Here's my Dad aged fifteen aboard my late Grand father's Ford 4000 - Photograph date stamped 12/5/1967.

IMGoldies_0002.jpg

Now then David, aye i know what you mean, and your keeping the family tradition going, "Blue to the Bone!" There always been tractors about in our family, but they haven't always been blue, quite a few Nuffields and a Bray 10/60 have been through the family too, as well as a roadless 75, john deere 3130 and a county 1174, plus a couple of Mogs and a pair of Valmets all used in woodland management and timber extraction.

• 2 weeks later...

Now then David, aye i know what you mean, and your keeping the family tradition going, "Blue to the Bone!" There always been tractors about in our family, but they haven't always been blue, quite a few Nuffields and a Bray 10/60 have been through the family too, as well as a roadless 75, john deere 3130 and a county 1174, plus a couple of Mogs and a pair of Valmets all used in woodland management and timber extraction.

That sounds like a fantastic array of classic tractors to have passed through your family over the years Paul. Speaking of trailers too, my uncle ran a pair of these single axle wooden sided examples as his main trailers behind bubble cabbed Ford 6610 and 5610 tractors just over twenty years ago. I'm unsure of the make of them so if any forum members could idenitfy them that would be most appreciated.

Here's one of the trailers on the back of my Uncle's 6610 alongside a local contractor's 8210 and Grimme Allrounder potato harvester. Rather different to the pair of modern 10 tonne Triffits he now runs.

IMGdoes_0008.jpg

Whilst here's a pair of Massey Ferguson liveried trailers I photographed at the British National Ploughing Championships and York Machinery Sale.

DSC09821.jpg

P1040011.jpg

Been studing your pic David, were your uncles trailers Wheatley's, or earlier wooden bodied Weeksor even Ransomes ? I'll keep looking through the brochures that i have to try to find a match for you. The Mf 200 at York machinery sale looks at first glance to have the chassis and wheels of the old Fergusson 3 tonner, with a more modern steel body. Where as the 200 at the ploughing match and the 200 of Johns look more altogether right about them, and if were painted blue, would be Weeks +40s. :) :)

Aye there been quite a few classics through the family, none seem to have found a permanent home in the valley though, although some would have been worth a bob or two now!! ;)

Been studing your pic David, were your uncles trailers Wheatley's, or earlier wooden bodied Weeksor even Ransomes ? I'll keep looking through the brochures that i have to try to find a match for you. The Mf 200 at York machinery sale looks at first glance to have the chassis and wheels of the old Fergusson 3 tonner, with a more modern steel body. Where as the 200 at the ploughing match and the 200 of Johns look more altogether right about them, and if were painted blue, would be Weeks +40s. :) :)

Aye there been quite a few classics through the family, none seem to have found a permanent home in the valley though, although some would have been worth a bob or two now!! ;)

Thanks for having a closer look at the photograph of one of my Uncle's former trailers Paul. I have a feeling they may well have been Ransomes as my Uncle was using quite a bit of Ransomes equipment at the time. I'm heading up to the farm this weekend so i'll ask my Uncle when i'm there. Thanks also for the information on the two Massey badged trailers I posted up too. :)

ransomes were a pretty popular addition to any ford dealer arround that time david, most brouchures you see for ransomes have all the kit behind a ford tractor ,i have a ransomes trailers full range brouchre upstairs , so will have a look for you tommorrow, they are exactly the same as a pettite bar the ford blue they used instead of red. have a feeling they only had a small ransomes decal on the bodys framework on the drop sides, which easily came off,

ransomes were a pretty popular addition to any ford dealer arround that time david, most brouchures you see for ransomes have all the kit behind a ford tractor ,i have a ransomes trailers full range brouchre upstairs , so will have a look for you tommorrow, they are exactly the same as a pettite bar the ford blue they used instead of red. have a feeling they only had a small ransomes decal on the bodys framework on the drop sides, which easily came off,

Thanks Sean that would be most appreciated. I may well be incorrect in my assumption that they're Ransomes trailers. My late Grandfather was a staunch Ransomes equipment user with the Fordson tractors he ran whilst my Uncle latterly used several Ransomes ploughs from 5 furrow conventional to 3 and 4 furrow reversibles. He also had a Ransomes mounted sprayer and front tank set up aswell as a Nordsten drill at some point too. All an age away from the bigger equipment he's using now behind his New Holland TM-130.

No probs David i try an help out where i can, but your right, as the years go by machinery gets bigger and bigger, and in some cases built by robots rather than skilled fabricators and skilled welders that had pride in their work and a satisfaction of supporting our agricultural industry. I served my time building milk tankers, from the humble 17 ton 4 wheeler farm collection to todays 32 ton 8 leggers and 30000 litre tri axle farm collection trailers, time moves on but i still got pride in what i do, helping bridge the link between farm and fridge for your daily pinta. :)

If your wondering how that links me to all the tractors thats been and gone, thats other family members buisnesses, and i just happend to grow up with them being around.

juat had a look at my brouchure, and i dont think they are ransomes trailers david, i would say its a 3 - 4 ton trailer with home made greedy borads, but ,going by the sides, that one you have shown us, has to many verticle bars on it, the equvilante ransomes only has 3 uprights along the entire side, the hinge points, yours seems to have 2 in the middle and 1 each ned, you can also see the bodys underside supports, which on the ransomes you cant.

there were so many local and big makers arround in those days it could be anyones ,we used to have a old non tipping 5 ton one that was used for the meal sacks ,had a tubular chassis, with the body supported on effectivly a v like system ,i asume it was red when new, but was a deffinat shade of pink all the time i can remember it, had a oval metal plate on the front headborad, stil to this day never found out who made it, just know it was a suffolk maker

Thanks for taking the time respond to my queries regards the trailers my Uncle previously used Sean and Paul and also for sharing your past experiences. Always enjoyable to read.

I believe I now have the answer having just shown the photographs to my Uncle. They're Marshall 3 tonne trailers with greedy boards made up at the farm. My late Grandfather apparently got a good deal on the pair and my Uncle used them until there departure in the mid nineties when they were replaced with 6 tonne Triffitts.

It's a pair of larger Triffitts my Uncle now uses:

DSC06221.jpg

juat had a look at my brouchure, and i dont think they are ransomes trailers david, i would say its a 3 - 4 ton trailer with home made greedy borads, but ,going by the sides, that one you have shown us, has to many verticle bars on it, the equvilante ransomes only has 3 uprights along the entire side, the hinge points, yours seems to have 2 in the middle and 1 each ned, you can also see the bodys underside supports, which on the ransomes you cant.

there were so many local and big makers arround in those days it could be anyones ,we used to have a old non tipping 5 ton one that was used for the meal sacks ,had a tubular chassis, with the body supported on effectivly a v like system ,i asume it was red when new, but was a deffinat shade of pink all the time i can remember it, had a oval metal plate on the front headborad, stil to this day never found out who made it, just know it was a suffolk maker

Might it have been based on this chassis?

JF-AV-3,b846c0e2.jpg

There were a few of these used as trailers around here back in the 70s.

no mate ,was a suffolk maker, had a center rod about 8 "wide, with the axel of that, was very well made, i can remember it for 19 year, and it was arround before that as i have seen the odd pic of it at my uncles when he was younger , we also had a vicon buffalo ,which was a drop side trailer, but you could add the spreader to the rear ,or make it a silage trailer with walking floor,