What Kind Of Model Is This Implement

BC

Today I took my dad out for a run to Alford and mum stopped off at the Co-op for some shopping whilst dad and myself went in past the Heritage Center which is on an old Aberdeen and Northern Marts premises. The main purpose for visiting the center was to see if I could get them to put up a poster to advertise the model show to be held at the Hilton Treetops in Aberdeen this year.

As soon as I went in I saw Phil Collie and Jim Grassic who I know from the vintage rallies. Anyway the two of them were looking at this model which was donated to the Heritage center by an elderly gentlemen. Now it is a fairly heavy metal model and is around 12 inches wide to the outside of the wheels.

So the questions are

What kind of implement is it

How many horses needed to pull it

Who made it

When was it made

And finally what is it worth.

ST839372.jpg

ST839373.jpg

ST839374.jpg

Perhaps not a model at all, but the real thing. A small (pony drawn?) cultivator or something for allotments, smallholdings, market gardens, etc?

Having seen it in the flesh David I can swear on a stack of bible's ....it genuinely is a model.

looks like a old row weed clearer, ?? for beet ect maybe, the 4 tines look about the right widths, cant see much othr use for it doesnt look like its much more than a 1 horse number anyway

Well Sean not the name we Scottish folks would have used ...but there is no way a one horse would be able to pull that...unless he was the "bionic" horse ;D ;D

I have seen something similar SOMEWHERE but cannot think where. Ireland perhaps? I agree with David a small, single row, cultivator. Something similar here

and here

Nice videos Sue but a pony could not have pulled that "implement".about ;D ;D

Edited by BC

Good idea Sue but that's only a pony implement. The one I'm asking about is called a 7 letter word which (Begins in G and ends in R)

I have no idea what you are talking about - TRUE! Perhaps you had better tell me in a PM (i do have a broad mind - I worked for a newspaper for 17 years)

So I think it is a "grubber" but

How many horses needed to pull it

Who made it

When was it made

And finally what is it worth

Phil thought 2 pair of of horses would be required but going by the weight of the model I wonder if that number of horses would manage or in fact was it pulled by horses since well there are no handles for an operator to steer the implement.

All they know is it was made by the apprentices in some firm.As to when it was made they did not know but as I said I'll bet the apprentices don't have "sair heids" today.

I suspect the model may have been made more than one hundred years ago at a guess.

As to it value well who knows and we will probably never know since it was been donated to the heritage center so hopefully will not get sold.In addition it.

Getting back to what pulled it I am wondering. Looking back to the photos again you will see the implement is a two way one and has tines in both directions. Now if pulled by horses I don't see the need for a two way implement since you would have just turned your horses and implement on the end rigs. This makes me think the implement maybe was used by a similar set up used by steam engine ploughers.I don't know if they pulled grubbers back and forth like ploughs and well on the steam ploughs there were seats for an operator to sit on and steer the plough. Anyway that is just some thoughts I have had and I will no doubt in the future hear more about what visitors to the center have said about it.

Edited by BC

Interesting tool Bill .. Aside from the weight of the thing I don't suspect the crows feet would create that much draft mate as they would not have worked deep.. Just enough to bust the roots I guess

Yes it is an interesting piece of kit Mark. and I must admit I had not really thought about how deep in the tines would have gone into the land.

This is a "Scuffler", used for inter-row cultivation in row crops, the winged tines only work about an inch or so deep ,just enough to cut the roots of any weeds, so would be easy enough for a horse to pull. We used to have one converted to three point linkage, that we used to "clean" swede and mangel crops.

This is a "Scuffler", used for inter-row cultivation in row crops, the winged tines only work about an inch or so deep ,just enough to cut the roots of any weeds, so would be easy enough for a horse to pull. We used to have one converted to three point linkage, that we used to "clean" swede and mangel crops.

But...why the two way implement ...that is the part which is confusing me.