What Kind Of Model Is This Implement

BC

Didn't Bill say it had another set in the opposite direction ???

Whoops !, just looked at the photos again, plain tynes in one direction and winged in the other, you're right Mark, must be to make it reversible for quick turns on the headland.{ ours only had tynes one way }

Or ! , note the two adjusting levers on the side, one set of tynes could be lifted independantly of the others, therefore you have a " Scuffler " with plain or winged tynes without the need to change the feet, depending on the needs of the job.

I think between you me and Mark we have worked it out.I still think it would be a fair pull for one horse but I could be wrong.

Oh well maybe Sean I don't know all that much about a horses pulling power I was just going by what the man at the center was thinking. I know one thing a horse of today would struggle since when I have seen them at the shows they mostly have two Clydesdale on a single furrow plough and they tire quite quickly and that is because they are not used to working every day.Anyway an interesting model and I'm glad to see it will be kept in preservation and not thrown out.

As a child I spent a lot of time on a small farm that was in a time-warp. No machinery and only one horse. She was not a shire by any means and only stood about 15 hands but she could pull a single furrow plough. I suppose it would depend on the soil whether one or more horses were used. here in Hampshire flints "grow" like weeds and some that rise to the surface are too big for me to lift (and they don't call me Pansy Potter for nothing). I have one at the edge of my drive which is about 40 cms across.

Now those are rocks not stones! Left behind by a glacier perhaps - certainly the rounded ones.

Flints are known here as Hampshire Diamonds and it is not surprising that traditional Hampshire houses and walls are built with them. Under my front lawn, which is 400 year old pasture,there is a sold bed of flint below the 12 inches or so of grass roots which plays havoc with fork tines and needs an iron bar wiggled around to free them.. Digging holes to plant trees is an excavation job.

Looks to me Bill like a horse drawn hoe especially with the winged feet. Looks like the frame rotates when you lift the handle which allows it to bring into operation the normal scuffle feet which are in-line so it 'doubles up' as both a precision hoe and a scuffle. I would say that it is a working model made by a blacksmith/ agric engineer as a prototype to be shown to a prospective manufacturer to buy the 'right' or patent to and manufacture to full size scale, single horse drawn and would date from around the 1870's to the very early 1900's. A local agric engineer old family firm that I have known and delt with for years, the originator of this firm was an avid inventor and he made several 'working' models like this, he invented the horse hay rake, the 'extendable' one of which he sold the patent to Huxtables.

Looks to me Bill like a horse drawn hoe especially with the winged feet. Looks like the frame rotates when you lift the handle which allows it to bring into operation the normal scuffle feet which are in-line so it 'doubles up' as both a precision hoe and a scuffle. I would say that it is a working model made by a blacksmith/ agric engineer as a prototype to be shown to a prospective manufacturer to buy the 'right' or patent to and manufacture to full size scale, single horse drawn and would date from around the 1870's to the very early 1900's. A local agric engineer old family firm that I have known and delt with for years, the originator of this firm was an avid inventor and he made several 'working' models like this, he invented the horse hay rake, the 'extendable' one of which he sold the patent to Huxtables.

Thanks for the update Tim...so I'm right whoever made the model will not suffer from a sore head today. It really is a very well made looking model and I really must study it in a bit more detail the next time I'm at the heritage centre.