canvis roofs

Tractorman810

Question

guys any one got any ideas on how to acheve a canvis look roof,tried the toilet roll and liquid cement tonight,and left it for 2 hrs,and the paper was still like tissue,even after being fully coated,

also tried tin foil,gave a great finish,just like canvis,but was way to fragile,

so kinda stuck at mo

any suggestions very very gratefully recived

22 answers to this question

guys any one got any ideas on how to acheve a canvis look roof,tried the toilet roll and liquid cement tonight,and left it for 2 hrs,and the paper was still like tissue,even after being fully coated,

also tried tin foil,gave a great finish,just like canvis,but was way to fragile,

so kinda stuck at mo

any suggestions very very gratefully recived

Try an old cotton hankerchief.  Nice and thin and you can usually see the weave.

In 1/35th military modelling (Tamiya kits etc) some people use very thin lead sheet.  When folded and painted it looks pretty realistic.  I think you can buy the lead from some model stores.  Just another thought!!

what about modrock ?  plaster coated gauze. You just wet it then form it (be a bit like papier mache) It sets when dry like a plaster cast.

now that does sound like a good idea,could file/sand it into the final shape then,will ask on sat when i am in town

My DOE 130 Fritzmeier was/is 2 layers of old lampshade material (probably silk(?) with either copydex or EVO-STICK between the layers.-'can't remember which:20yrs ago! Reasonably stiff but retains its fine-woven outer appearance. The matt pale green we sell for the Nuffield canvas seat cushion is ideal for new canvas such as was on the Lambourn weather cabs.

it won't be getting wet i can asure you, mate,got 2 options i am going to look into,and going to ask in the hodbby shop on sat,the guy in there makes 1/35 tamiya tanks,and displays them,sure he can suggets something ,may be the thin lead like someone suggetted,,i have seen his work,and they are superb,so he won't use any old thing