Britains 42845 John Deere S690i Tracked combine

I thought I'd attempt a review at Britains latest combine model which has appeared within the last week or so; a wheeled version appeared in the US some months ago, as you probably know. I have taken some photos to accompany the review, but I should apologise for their quality as I took them in a hurry and also I still haven't mastered my camera, for example, on most of the shots there appears to be an arch at the top, which occurs when using the zoom. I will attempt some better photos in due course, but hopefully these will provide a taste of the model.

First things first you get a large box in JD colours, with a lovely photo on the back, which is unfortunately of the previous incarnation of the S690. There are two headers included with the model, a draper type grain header (model 640FD) and a 16 row Corn head (616C) which are the largest of their type available in the US, but neither are available in the UK, the largest being the 635R. I imagine the costs to tool a UK/Europe specific sized header may have been too prohibitive and so the same examples as included with the American model have been used here. The method of attachment for the header consists of two clips at the top of the feederhouse, along with two guide pins lower down, which is the opposite layout to the previous S690/9880i etc, which means that the smaller 630R from the older model cannot be clipped on instead, not without alteration at any rate.

DSCN0128.jpg

The current generation of JD combine cab is well reproduced, with neat folding cab mirrors; the interior of the cab is reasonably well detailed including printed detail on the screens for example.

Onto the tracks, these are nicely detailed, and work via the larger three wheels, with the three smaller wheels being fixed. The safety signage is nicely detailed.

DSCN0130.jpg

DSCN0129.jpg

One thing I have noticed is that if the combine is on an angle, the nearside tracks catch against the small ledge behind them on the bodywork - so this might not be a great hillside combine! The S690 and John Deere strip on the main combine body are tampo printed, whereas the logo's on the headers are stickers. As with Britains' previous JD combines, the feederhouse is spring loaded and so always in the work position. As can be seen from the photos, the body is a mixture of metal and plastic; the off side rear panel opens and a ladder drops down (forgot to take a photo of this feature sorry). The unloading auger is one piece and does not fold away for transport as per the older models.

All in all, this is a large and impressive model, even more so with the giant headers that come with it; it really looks the part with the tracks, and whilst not up to the same level of detail as UH at the same time it doesn't appear 'toy like' Its a shame the grain tank lids are fixed open, I may have a go with a screw driver and see if the grain tank assembly can be removed to depict the model 'at rest'. At a little under £40 you do get a lot of model for your money, and whilst the headers aren't prototypical for the UK, and therefore it may not find its way onto many dioramas it certainly has presence on a shelf...provided its wide enough.

DSCN0132.jpg

Great write up CX820 Joe.... as you say you get a lot of model for your money at under £ 40. I see it on G&M's website at £ 39 so I'll be adding that to my order for Lanark in September despite the fact I don't like the size of the box they come in....they take up so so much room.

With that header its way too big for me to display or even store. Thanks for the review though Joe. Can you open the cabin doors or get photos of the cabin detail?

Thanks for the replies...the cab doors don't open, but I will try and get some better photos at the weekend, I did them in rather a rush this morning...the box is a ridiculous size Bill and I am wondering whether to throw it away to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

great review joe. looks a nice machine for the money. as others have said, the header is a bit of a letdown. would rather have seen a large single reel header, as is on the prestige case tracked combine. this model is really the ertl u.s prestige combine, just in a different box prehaps.