County valuation

mrol

A friend has inherited an old forestry County tractor and an old Leyland and is looking to sell on to buy one replacement tractor. Any ideas on the best way to get a valuation / sell these two classics to get a sensible price? Someone has already offered to 'take them off his hands to save him the trouble' but, as they are both in running order, I suspect are worth something to the right classic collector/restorer.

Pictures would help Ol....County's tend to command good money for iconic reasons....Leyland's tend to be worth less since they had more problems than their predecessor the Nuffield.

In addition model number and year of manufacture would help to give a "guess timate"

A few photos and info.

The County is a County Four 4000 with rear forestry grab - 5100 hours. Still confirming the year of production but guess late 60s, early 70s. Good running order and very little rust as kept indoors.

The Leyland is a 270 2wd - hours and age tbc. Also good running order.

Any suggestions of what these might be worth and best way to go about selling them. Not sure eBay is the right way to go with something like this.....Cheffins Cambridge auction or classified ads?

Thanks

post-2317-0-85410800-1345237712_thumb.jp

post-2317-0-14798500-1345237721_thumb.jp

post-2317-0-38434000-1345237726_thumb.jp

post-2317-0-24613700-1345237733_thumb.jp

post-2317-0-70435600-1345237741_thumb.jp

post-2317-0-46095000-1345237746_thumb.jp

County got to be worth £5-6k, looks a straight one with lowish hours! Saying that the Leyland looks straight enough, £2.5k for that?

H

I personally don't think the Leyland is worth £ 2.5k but you never know some folk might pay that amount for something they really want.

Thanks Howard. Any suggestions on best way to go about selling them? Is it worth ringing the relevant collectors societies?

You could try the Scottish County Club...they have an email address in their website ion the home page.

http://www.scottishcountytractorclub.co.uk/

I suspect commission could be quite high at Cheffins and the likes but then again you will have plenty of prospective buyer's as well as the usual tyre kickers. Transportation cost to and from the auction if they don't sell is always a consideration as well.

What about an advert in Classic Tractor which has a wide coverage :huh:

Yup - going to try a few classified ads first off I think and then if they don't work, probably try Cheffins. Good point on transport costs as I hadn't considered thoughs. Classic Tractor is one. Any suggestions of any others worth putting an advert in?

BC - what would you reckon the Leyland is worth?

You could advertise the County in dedicated "Blue" mags like (Ford & Fordson Tractors Email tractors@kelseypb.co.uk or 0906 802 0279) or (Blue Force Email info@blueforce.uk.com or 07826 650 424

Leyland could go in Nuffield and Leyland club mag (www.thenuffieldandleylandtractorclub.co.uk) but suspect that it would sell better in Classic tractor. :)

Yup - going to try a few classified ads first off I think and then if they don't work, probably try Cheffins. Good point on transport costs as I hadn't considered thoughs. Classic Tractor is one. Any suggestions of any others worth putting an advert in?

BC - what would you reckon the Leyland is worth?

I would say £ 1,500 max but you never know. I tried to post a link to a sale of Nuffields and Leylands I attended earlier this year but failed so I have bumped that post again under events and show. Take note none of the tractors in the shed were actually sold the prices quoted were last bid prices.

Straight tractors can go silly but my valuation was 2,500 tops for the Leyland, as suggested about 1750-2k roughly.

You can PM the details and will put them in Tractor and Machinery magazine and Ford and Fordson, also can put it on www.county-tractors.co.uk for you if you like?

H

'buyer' was offering nothing - "just saving us the hassle of getting rid of them" apparently....suffice to say we didn't accept his generous offer.

Howard - thanks for the offer. What details would you typically include - model, approx age, hours, engine size, contact details and location, approx asking price? Also any idea what issue these would go out in?

On asking prices, sound like asking £2.5k for Leyland and £6k for County with a view that after negotiation they go for the kind of prices suggested above? Or is it better to just put £poa and see what people offer?

Thanks for all the replies.

I have only every sold one tractor a 1956 Grey Ferguson diesel tractor with Mill loader. I knew what I wanted but I took it to the local rally with For sale sign saying offers and two telephone numbers. I got two offers on the day lower than I wanted and a lot of folk asking what I wanted but most were just being plain nosey. That is a another way to try and sell them if there are any vintage shows near hand where they can be driven too, If advertising in magazines best put price or "ono" and they there is room for negotiation.

'buyer' was offering nothing - "just saving us the hassle of getting rid of them" apparently....suffice to say we didn't accept his generous offer.

Howard - thanks for the offer. What details would you typically include - model, approx age, hours, engine size, contact details and location, approx asking price? Also any idea what issue these would go out in?

On asking prices, sound like asking £2.5k for Leyland and £6k for County with a view that after negotiation they go for the kind of prices suggested above? Or is it better to just put £poa and see what people offer?

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes you have the idea, basic info is fine, people will ring for more details. Get the details to me by Monday and should go in the nest issue of T&M out the following week. Start high with the price, room to drop back down!

H

Howard, here you go:

County 4000 Four 4wd, 1970, 62hp, 5128 hours, rear forestry grab, tidy condition & good working order, £6000 ono. Tel: 07973 668142. Location: N. Herts

Leyland 270 2wd, 1974, 71hp, 6442 hours, tidy condition & good working order, £2500 ono. Tel: 07973 668142. Location: N. Herts.

I'll crop a couple of pics and attach now.