Need help! Making a business decision?

harvey123

Hey guys and girls, I'm looking to buy a tractor:D

I'm 15 at the minute..and currently working for a few contractors and on 2 farms! Now the contractors are always hiring a tractor in, usually my dads! But the 3650 is a bit long in thr tooth so to speak, so he's 'given' it to me...Now what should i do? The 3650 is a great tractor, but isnt as quick on the road, or as useful anymore..as most jobs now involve alot of travelling..so it gets abit tedious! So should i sell it for a newer model? Dad was offered £10500 for it, and the offer still stands, Or should i trade it for something newer with abit more power?! I'm 16 in december and just going to be shopping around until i pass my tractor test!

Now i suppose i should tell you what jobs the tractor will be doing! To help you help me abit more;) haha!

The list of jobs:

Mowing

Rowing up

Tedding

Road work (carting grass/maize, spoil/stone etc etc)

Ploughing (maybe)

Rolling

Baling with a bb960a (big square baler)

Grass basketing (forage box)

Power harrowing 3 mtr

Buckraking

You get the idea! Now i'm looking at any brand apart from zetor or anything like them!! Would prefer to be on another JD 6410/6910..4 or 6 cylinder, MUST be capable of producing more then 130hp...3650 is currently screwed out to 163hp at the shaft..but it has been remapped! So if you could comment tractors you've had good experiences with or could point me in the right direction i would be very grateful!

Thanks!

hello harvey. good luck with your new venture. first off, sell the 3650, the money being offered sounds a good price. we have a 3350 and it does get a bit tedious on the road.we also run a jd 6910 and a 6920. the 6910 has just clocked 5250 hours and the 6920 3150 hours. these tractors have really not been any trouble really, just a bearing at 3500 hours on the gearbox of the 6910,and a brake seal on the 6920. how much money do you have to spend? this will greatly influence peoples advice on here. if i am honest, apart from the cab suspension on the 20, i think the 6910 is a better tractor. better fuel economy and turning circle for a start. the fuel economy gets worse as you go up the range in the 10,20 and 30 6000 series tractors, so beware. the 6910 is 140 hp and the 6920 is 150 hp, both engines have the same bore size in the pots, the pumps are just wound open to get more fuel in to get the power. with the cost of red diesel now 70 p a litre, look at all the makes out there and do some investigation work. regds , chris.

If your willing to go down the JD route you could do a lot worse than the 6910, however decent ones are getting harder to find with lowish hours on. We have a 6910, 6920S and 6930 all great tractors. But the 10 is probably the best. They do go wrong theres no doubting that, all tractors do but in general JD dealers know their stuff. I agree with all that Chris says and not much else to add.

Done quite a few hours on a MF 6290, must say very reliable, great little tractor. However I don't think the one I drive pulls as well as it should, maybe thats down to a simple service thing. However again good tractors are hard to find/expensive. If you do go down that route, try to find one with front suspension, it really does make a difference as I find the one I drive quite hard going on a long day. The finger tip spools went on the one I drive which rendered it useless for nearly a month so becareful as well on that front.

I can't really comment on other brands, Case MX's have a strong reputation as do NH TM's.

Whatever happens keep us posted, take lots of pictures and best of luck. :)

Well if it was me I would be looking at a MF6270/80/90 but a good one will hold there money if your looking value for money a NH TM 135 or TM130, Case MXM130/140 a good JD 10/20 will be big £££

But all brands aside I would be looking for a tractor with a good cab easy to use controls and if your spending 12-14 hours aday in it Suspension is a big YES you have to look at a tractor like an office if your using it for contracting

the 10 series john deeres will last forever providing you look after them and care about them, the later ones did offer electronic reverse and front suspension so am sure they make life easier

and if that 3650 is pumping out that much, that is fair punching above its weight isnt it??

im in the same boat as you mate im 22 and currantly own a white roof 8240 sle and a blue roof 7840 sle great tractors but with 10500 hours and 17300 i dont know when they might go wrong.

Id say go for a 68 or a 6910 or 6910s as its currently what im doing im in ireland so clean models are hard to come by but for a tracor that stays going and a future classic a 10 series deere is the way to go i think.

with the way money is at the moment i would plod along with what you have.you dont want loans or hp hanging over you.i knew some one who had the same thing on his mind and farmers said we will have you.So he went out and got a case mx135( tweaked )when he rang them up to say i have this tractor . He later found out some chap with a 884 had beat him to it . Or you hire in a tractor to do the work and send it back when you don't need it. Good luck with your venture mate.

• Like 1

If you call your current tractor a bank, you've got £10k in your account. Firstly, you have been offered work so that's a good starting point. Secondly, don't narrow down your search too much. Sort out how much you can add to the bank account to buy a new tractor, then you have a starting figure to start up your business. Easy but done. Now trawl through the online ads, farming press for tractors in that price range. Now you have an idea of what you need to earn back to make it pay. Go back your would be customers with your figures, if you get some sort of work garunteed, even say one day a week all year on slurry tanking, or something like that infront of you. At this point you can go to the dealers and haggle to your hearts content.

There is very little point in getting excited over a new tractor if you don't do the sums right first. Every younger chap wants to go contracting - sometimes its better to let someone else take the risks and just get paid your hourly rate for working... If you get your sums wrong you may end up doing that anyway!

• Like 1

with the way money is at the moment i would plod along with what you have.you dont want loans or hp hanging over you.i knew some one who had the same thing on his mind and farmers said we will have you.So he went out and got a case mx135( tweaked )when he rang them up to say i have this tractor . He later found out some chap with a 884 had beat him to it . Or you hire in a tractor to do the work and send it back when you don't need it. Good luck with your venture mate.

Personally I wouldn't bother with hire. We looked at getting a 7530 and it was far too expensive for a tractor that you never own. Just what we found though

good luck with the project what ever happens, hopefully it will all work out for you ,one thing mind, make sure you get a good accountant to work with, and make sure your sums add up ,as nath said you dont want a huge loan or costs hanging over your head, and then it all goes wrong,i know a mate who did something similar, and hes went bankrupt 2 years ago as he just didnt keep on top of everthing . starting out like this takes some balls and i wish you luck with it .as for tractors ,well you know me mf all the way , but maybe the jd you have just needs a clean and good service / major overhaul and it will serve well for the first few years of the venture ,saving you cash for a new rig later on ones established.

I`m`a Ford man through and through but if you are going to buy a more modern tractor I would seriously reccommend Valtra/Valmet.My cousin runs an 8050 and a T150.Ive spent quite a fews hours on the 8050 and couldnt fault.Its a 97 and has 15000+ hours on the clock but no matter what kind of a morning you go out to it it will start.The gearbox is kind of confusing at the start but once you get used to it its grand.Its quite comfortable and certainly seems to pull much better than its claimed 115hp.(Pumps never been touched and shes never been turbod or chipped).She also does 50k on the road.The T150 which is a `07 spends most of its time on a 10'6" Taarup Mower but has been chipped to 180 at the shaft and will be kitted out with a front linkage and a 8' front mower very soon.

Hi guys! Well after going over the sums again and again!..And it is safe to say that a new tractor will be arriving before long! My dad and uncle are being a huge help to me, as dad will have work for me for atleast one day a week, and my uncle has promised every day of the week all year round if i really need the work (He runs a claas axion 850 on a shredder/wood chipper and has a baby claas which is abit small for the other chipper..and i'll be running/loading one of them when i need the work!..Also seeing the new claas arion range coming out..like love at first sight :P So going to demo one asap! But we'll also be keeping our eyes peeled for any 59 plate or newer Arion 630/640's that come up, the reason we're looking at these new/almost new tractors is the fact that the parts are more readily available if something should go wrong and we should get better dealer support!? And another thing i need help with, i have spoken to a local machinery dealer, and they have no means of transportation/delivery of the implements/trailer etc, if i could get a contract to do those deliverys, could i do them with the tractor? If i add another diesel tank and run it on standard diesel? Or would i have to be 21 with my hgv and add a tacho to the tractor? Cheers guys, you're all a massive help!:)

Well done, glad you secured something proper, 52 days garunteed will make life a bit easier going forward and your uncles' business sounds like a handy leg up too. Sounds like that has come together well for you so well done so far buddy :) :)

As far as haulage for hire or reward goes, you need an operators license and the tractor must be taxed as a commercial vehicle. Also I think the twin take rule is a myth and you must use only one tank and one type of fuel at a time. Personally and please don't be offended as this is a VOSA problem; I think all commercial haulage using tractors should be banned, outright. The cost of running a lorry is astronomical but if people want to move stuff from A to B and be paid to do it, they must all tow the same line. If a guy can run a lorry cheaper than the next man and win the work, fair game. If the way to win is to run a tractor with cheaper tax, no mot, no 6 weekly vehicle inspection, no properly licensed driver, no working time directive or drivers tachograph rules then it's not competing in a fair or proper man as far as I am concerned. We've got plenty round here doing it, especially farmers turned building erectors/groind workers and I think its disgusting the law lets them do it.

I do wish you all the best in your legitimate business ventures mate, its good to see young people jumping in and having a good go at starting up on their own. I wish I had done it. Please think carefully on what routes you chose to take though.

:)

• Like 1

Well done, glad you secured something proper, 52 days garunteed will make life a bit easier going forward and your uncles' business sounds like a handy leg up too. Sounds like that has come together well for you so well done so far buddy :) :)

As far as haulage for hire or reward goes, you need an operators license and the tractor must be taxed as a commercial vehicle. Also I think the twin take rule is a myth and you must use only one tank and one type of fuel at a time. Personally and please don't be offended as this is a VOSA problem; I think all commercial haulage using tractors should be banned, outright. The cost of running a lorry is astronomical but if people want to move stuff from A to B and be paid to do it, they must all tow the same line. If a guy can run a lorry cheaper than the next man and win the work, fair game. If the way to win is to run a tractor with cheaper tax, no mot, no 6 weekly vehicle inspection, no properly licensed driver, no working time directive or drivers tachograph rules then it's not competing in a fair or proper man as far as I am concerned. We've got plenty round here doing it, especially farmers turned building erectors/groind workers and I think its disgusting the law lets them do it.

I do wish you all the best in your legitimate business ventures mate, its good to see young people jumping in and having a good go at starting up on their own. I wish I had done it. Please think carefully on what routes you chose to take though.

:)

Hi Tris, i owe you a huge thanks for the help/advice! And i agree with what you're saying about the haulage, i've seen debates about it on other forums but there was NEVER a clear answer! Tbh, if it wasnt for dad and my uncle i wouldnt even be thinking about it, unless i had the work set in stone! But hell fire word is fairly getting round about me looking to start out myself, most farmers/contractors are syking me up to do it, and there's one contractor that's a fairly big ino the slurry/waste spreading..and he's saying he'll give me work for 1 day a week, i just have to get man and machine to the field...so could be interesting!

• Like 1

There will always be work in waste, good move. Where there's muck, there's money as the saying goes.

Who I work for just bought a Case MXM140. It's a 2004 model with just under 5k hours on the clock (if it's genuine), front He-Va linkage and pto, 4 spools and then the usual of air con, air seat, passenger seat, only 40k of course. Pretty tidy all round condition for £15k. Doesn't seem too bad, it's only a TM after all so it's well proven and parts should be in abundance if required.