War Time Farm.

powerrabbit

Did you have any trouble ordering the booklet Bill? I've just tried to but after putting in my post code and clicking 'proceed' nothing happens, perhaps it's not working at the moment, I'll try again later.

Did you have any trouble ordering the booklet Bill? I've just tried to but after putting in my post code and clicking 'proceed' nothing happens, perhaps it's not working at the moment, I'll try again later.

tim,i had the same problem,just keep clicking proceed,it takes a few presses,but worked in the end,they say you should recieve it in 28 days,hope this helps

Last nights episode was very interesting, liked the bits where they were making the new roof tiles and brewing the hooch at the same time and the engine driven saw to cut the logs to fuel the tile kiln. One little criticism, when they were re-enacting the 'decoy' fires, I don't think they would have been using wooden pallets in 1941.

Last nights episode was very interesting, liked the bits where they were making the new roof tiles and brewing the hooch at the same time and the engine driven saw to cut the logs to fuel the tile kiln. One little criticism, when they were re-enacting the 'decoy' fires, I don't think they would have been using wooden pallets in 1941.

there's a few others too: E27N halftrack in the yard!!(1947 were the first I believe) no little square bales then, even little round bales didn't come in until the 50s, Molegrips (1960s invention) being used on the silage pit construction and a 3 point linkage cultivator nearby likely to be 1950s. The plastic eartags (1970s) in the cattle probably would not be able to be removed as ministry regulations would prevent replacements being made available.

Nice to read your contributions of other stories, sadly I don't have time to recount some of our local ones.

You're not supposed to look at the programme with such a critical eye, I know that all of us do because we know about the things that 'shouldn't' be there and you're right, they should not, especially as the programme's intention is to portray reality and authenticity of the times and the equipment, or the lack of it available. I'm sure there will be other items that will be in the remaining programmes that should not be. Small square bales were about then but would have been very late on in the War and would have been baled by a belt driven baler and tied with wire. I wasn't aware of or heard any of my farming forebears of the time making silage, a process I believe that was discovered by pure accident.

I think the producers have done their best. As Tim said they are trying to portray the reality of the time and it doesn't really matter that a specific tractor is too "young" or the scrap timber comes from a pallet. To find a working tractor of the right age that is not in a museum has to be hard. Then the owner has to allow it out in a muddy field with a bunch of amateurs!

According to the dictionary the silage (the word) has its origins in 1880-1885 and is a contraction of the word Ensilage - to place in a silo. That means it was an old process. The fact that it was not a common process is demonstrated by the leaflet telling farmers how to make it. Certainly in the South of England there was always the option to feed the livestock on grass as well as hay as winters are not as hard as elsewhere and there was pasture available. The programme makes it clear that keeping fields in grass was not an option during the war.

Most methods of storing food (or fodder, in this case) came about by accident - smoking meat for example. It is accepted that cooking was a result of an accident.

I think that in a War situation quite a lot of the ways that food could be stored and preserved came from these times as people 'experimented' with different processing ideas, they do say that 'necessety is the mother of invention'. I don't think that a series of tv programmes can really relay to people now exactly how it was in these times as you have to actually be there, be in that situation and experience the hardships first hand, to appreciate it you would need to know what it was like trying to keep warm in the dead of a snowy winter with a fuel ration, no electricity, rabbit stew, dried fish, salt beef, powdered egg and sharing a tin bath in front of the fire with the rest of the family, there were certainly more lean people around then.

• Like 1

I think that in a War situation quite a lot of the ways that food could be stored and preserved came from these times as people 'experimented' with different processing ideas, they do say that 'necessety is the mother of invention'. I don't think that a series of tv programmes can really relay to people now exactly how it was in these times as you have to actually be there, be in that situation and experience the hardships first hand, to appreciate it you would need to know what it was like trying to keep warm in the dead of a snowy winter with a fuel ration, no electricity, rabbit stew, dried fish, salt beef, powdered egg and sharing a tin bath in front of the fire with the rest of the family, there were certainly more lean people around then.

Well I have experienced all those things. The tin bath was not a regular for me except when staying with my grandmother or at home when the weather was really cold as there was no heating in the bathroom except a paraffin stove which only took the chill off. Electricity was not rationed but as money was short and electric expensive you did not waste it and always turned off lights when leaving a room. All the rest were part of life and at the time were unremarkable. I can say I still love rabbit stew and salt beef is absolutely gorgeous if prepared properly.

The coal fire in the main room was not lit until evening unless someone was ill and in really cold weather we lived in the kitchen. You went to bed with hot water bottles and layers of blankets/quilts. Getting out of bed in the morning was a case of nip out quickly and grab the [very thick, old blanket] dressing gown followed by a race downstairs to warm your hands on the kettle. I always kept my dressing gown on the bed so I could put it on BEFORE getting out of bed but it was still a case of taking a deep breath and going for it! I can remember times when the glass of water beside the bed had a film of ice in the morning.

Believe it or notI have never considered that I had a deprived childhood - far from it. I had a great childhood with more freedom than kids today could ever imagine.

I often wonder how people would cope with these sort of conditions nowadays, not to say that we should go back in time but the way things are going we very well could go there, not under those particular conditions and circumstances, surprising how you would adapt though if you had to, they did give a few families a taste of it in the series called 'back in time', that was another interesting series.

Some of my widows still do! What really annoys me with todays society is the amount of wastage, food wase in particular. EU laws, supermarket 'sell by' dated foods and peoples eating habbits of today never existed back then, or even up until relavently recent times. Food was never wasted, anything that was getting a bit 'old' would have been made use of and any waste there was would be fed to the pigs, I remember right up until the early 1970's, an uncle of mine kept his pigs on the waste food from a nearby Country Hotel, drove the Morris Minor pickup to the delivery doors of the kitchens twice a day, loaded up about 4 bins of waste food, bones and all, took it back to the farm, lit the boiler and cooked it all up, not even allowed to do that now. My Father always said about food, 'as long as it was not starting to grow fur, it was still fit to eat. We never suffered any ill effects or even had a days illness, not like today, all these allergies and sicknesses people seem to suffer today!

• Like 1

he he can you remember the ice on the inside of bed room windows during the winter , i too slept under a mountain of blankets , pulling my clothes in to get dressed

Yes I most certainly do and once had icicles inside! Dressing under the bedclothes is something else I did.

When I was at school there were always swill bins where you scraped uneaten food off the plates after lunch (Ugh - they were awful and came out of urns bur I normally went home for lunch).. Swill bins were collected every day from all the schools. As you say, Tim, not allowed any more.

Speaking of school food, I can't recall much about the food served up at my primary school except that it was good and wholesome, cooked by a couple of local village women and served on china plates, non of these sectional plastic trays with everything dumped on them including 'pudding' like they do now, and we didn't have a choice, we had beef on Mondays, pork on Tuesdays and so-on. My secondary school meals however were a lot different, still no menu choice but the food seemed to be less interesting and not a lot of it and for a time, I was always hungry at the end of the school day. I used to take a container with me, 12 sandwiches, normally slices of meat and having to leave home at 7.30am to catch the scool bus needed a 'snack' at around 10oClock as that was my normal breakfast time, 3 sandwiches would be consumed at that time and 3 would be sold to other kids. Lunchtime was at 12.30, I would then eat 3 more sandwiches and sell the other 3 and with the money I made of my sandwiches I would also have a school dinner every day and still had a little money left over. 4.30pm was 'home time', on the bus and back to the village at 5.15 and then either on my bike or walk the mile home from the village, home to a roast dinner that my Mother always put back for me in the bottom oven of the stove.

Bit of an entrepreneur our young Tim!

Primary school lunches were brought in in urns and liquid. After a week of having meat slopped on the plate in thin "gravy" followed by overcooked potatoes and water, pale, limp cabbage and water and then to have a ladleful of gravy poured over the top (refusing was not allowed) I completely went off gravy even on a roast dinner. Fortunately school dinners were a rare event and I only had them when my mother had to visit the hospital or such. Senior school was different as there were kitchens on the premises and the food was superb AND we had choice of what or what not to eat.

• 4 weeks later...