Universal Hobbies - New Holland CR9090 Elevation

Niels

I had promised some people on the forum here a few weeks ago that I'd post a review of Universal Hobbies' fantastic new New Holland combine. Well, finally I found some time to take a few decent photographs! The CR9090 Elevation is currently New Holland's flagship model and a rotary combine with Tier V engine. The scale model is fitted with the largest 35 ft (10,5m) Varifeed header and sat on Tidue tracks, which are a factory option in real life.

IMG_6738_2.jpg

First impression (9) The CR9090 Elevation is probably the best combine model that UH have turned out so far. A few years back a special CR9090 (Tier 3) model appeared in a very limited edition, complete with show case, but the model was costly and hard to get. This one can be obtained much more easily. I paid € 105,00 (£85,00 ish) for my model but you could pick one up from the Zwolle show for just € 85,00. First impressions are good. Lots of details but, noticeable, the grain lids won't open. A problem most current combine models suffer with.

IMG_6745_2.jpg

Unpacking (8,5) The big combine comes in a big box. Plenty of screws hold it together and it is fairly easy to unpack. The header is unpacked quite easily and can be mounted to the feeder house by two pins. The PTO shaft can also be attached to drive the knife.

IMG_6743_2.jpg

Quality and finish (8 ) Universal Hobbies have a reputation for production issues and a bad finish but I can't pick many points on my model that are wrong. The stairs that lead to the cab won't swivel out enough but this can be sorted by modifying it a little and undoing the little screw that holds it in place. The unloading auger will swivel out about 2/3rds but the hydraulic ram won't go any further. Though, when the model is on display, it is still a very good looker.

IMG_6748_2.jpg

Detail of Realism (9) The New Holland model is in for some tough competition from Norev's Claas Lexion 770 and Schuco's MF Fortia and Fendt equivalent. Out of the three it probably is the best or par with the Claas. Both suffer from the grain lid issue but, unlike the Claas, the proportions on this model are right. The size seems correct rather than the Lexion 770, which is actually the 750 with another decal. While the reel won't lift or lower the tines are there (all glued in the same, wrong, direction) and the knife is well detailed but painted all black. The tracks give it an extra detail. So does the hydraulic piping. You can't fault the engine bay, straw chopper or cab for accuracy.

IMG_6749_2.jpg

Conclusion:

I give this model an 8,6 overall. Like I wrote it is one of the best model combines available and the price is correct compared to others. Make sure you have got plenty of space in your cabinet/display as the header is over 32 centimetres wide.The grain lids are a disappointment for any model that costs over € 100, but understandable as it would take a lot of head breaking to make the filling auger fold and raise, like on the real thing. After market grain lids were for sale at the Zwolle show for around € 15/20,00. They are also quite easy to build yourself.

Well that was my review for now. Any questions? Please ask.

Edited by Niels

Erik: I love the idea and quite possible? They would need nearly all new tooling though, apart from the header. Pretty much all the rest is different? Normally you'd say Britains/Ertl are the preferred manufacturer but with the outturn of Case IH models from UH lately you never know.. I certainly like your thinking ;D .

Barry; Thank you for your kind words. Always like doing a review!

great review niels, thanks for taking the time to do it. i have one of these and i am very happy with it. in my opinion though, i think the claas tucano they made is equaly impressive. anyone who needs a quik fix for a header for the cr can use a britains one. my one is sitting in the cabinet on one and it fits just fine., it will do until i get around to altering it.

Sean: I have seen the Lexion's grain lids as well and they looked very nice with the hinges and all. Though they displayed it on the 770 which has the mushroom type grain tank, not this. The model is correct though if it was the 750. Haven't seen them doing any other versions.

Paul: Thank you! My father did the photography I must admit as I couldn't find the time to do so :-[ .

Chris: Thanks as well. The Tucano certainly is very nice but the NH might just have one or two more details and pipes etc.. that finish her off.

I saw one of these in a model shop last week in stratford upon avon it is an outstanding model but they wanted £107 for it they even had the uh new fords tw's and they wanted £47 for them just a tad over price going back to the combine couldn't believe how big it was ,nice

Sean: No they are completely different. Here is the Claas one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Claas-lexion-570-1.jpg and here's the NH CR one: http://www.terre-net.fr/finc/observatoire/machinisme/pages_internes/matagridoc/visuel_constructeur/materiel/apercu/Moiss_battNC/NH_CR1.jpg As you can see the NH one folds in 2 halves and isn't straight up, less high and also not as wide.

Masseyjack: Depends what price you can get it for. For the odd € 100,00 I paid for it I thought it was worth it. It was that or the Claas. Since that isn't correct I chose this one. Though £107 is a bit more again and that's pushing it. If you are looking for a combine in your collection or are an NH collector it probably is one of your best buys. Siku's new Lexion 770 is about £20/25 cheaper and still fairly detailed. Whether you let yourself dedicate by price or detail is entirely up to you.

As already posted, very nice review Niels, with some great pictures. My main dissapointment with this model is the fact that no header trailer is supplied - given the price of around £85/100 euro - don't think that is expecting to much... :-

Just one point on the Norev 770, it is the 750 which is out of scale (wider than it should be) - the model dimensions are based on the 770 (1.7 m drum etc).

Regards,

JEP.

Your right JEP I think Scuco do supply a header trailer with their MF/Fendt combine? Maybe a good idea for UH to do one in 2013 for an acceptable price of say £12,00. The problem is however, what make to go for? The dealership I work for make their own header trailers and in the UK Shelbourne Reynolds do a lot. The Schuco ones are Brunns IIRC which is also a dealership. Then there's Biso of Austria and Cheval of France as well so what to pick?

Very valid point Niels, I made my own header trailer - but it is very much that - homemade design, as when researching details/pics for a N-H CR trailer, I came across a few variations.

So is it the case (no pun intended...)  that N-H do not supply there own header trailer with a big varifeed header?

Regards,

JEP

Barry: Yes, although I think it more depends on where you are and the dealer that sells the combine will pick his header trailer make. Here is Ernest Doe's demonstrator: http://www.midsuffolkagriphotos.co.uk/gallery/gp3197.htm. No idea what make of trailer that is though.

JEP: As far as I know (or can find on the internet) New Holland do not supply their own header trailers. This might have something to do with their dealerships already having a make of trailers. Claas do offer a header trailer but I believe these are not build by themselves but by another firm for them.