Muir Hill

JC

That muir hill is in good knick compared to one the other week for sale at frogmore farms it had to glass or doors the whole of cab and interior was rusty no yellow etc in cab the seat wasnt there and no steering wheel and the exterior was no better

• 2 weeks later...
Were they more of a construction site thing really  ???

From what i remember from Stuart Gibbard's book (and there are a few on this forum who will be in a much better posistion to answer this) Muir Hill was primarily a construction firm and a lot of these machines got used in quarries, pipe laying,ditching, building motorways etc pulling scrapers, Shawne Poole trailers and pipe trailers. I've no idea what proportion were used in farming versus construction, but they were also serious farm tractors of their time.

To my untrained eye, it looks like a 121, which used a Ford 2715E engine and was rated at 120hp. There was also a 111 of the same vintage which used a 6.354 rated at 110hp.

The next model up, the 141 was available from 1978 and had a choice of T6.354 (rated at 132hp)or Ford 2704ET (rated at 143hp).

The Daddy was the 161, V8.510 with 163hp, introduced in1969, and replaced in 1978 by the 171, which had a 170hp rated V8.540.

I had two very short spins on a 121, but not enough to give any sort of report. The owner loved it, and that says a lot! It was the mechanical equivalent of the County 1164, but had a number of advantages, particularly the turning circle (The County doesn't DO turning circles!  ;D  )