Nuffield 10/60, any experiences or opinions?

the other green

Hi all, I'm thinking of bidding on a Nuffield 10/60 at an up-coming farm auction in late April. In talking to the owner, it seems to be a genuine one-owner light-use tractor in good condition. Of course, if I'm still keen (and have some cash) nearer the time, I'll go and see it and drive it before the auction. I have, however absolutely no experience of these tractors at all. That's not true, strictly speaking, we owned a Nuffield universal 3 for a winter that was used to feed outside cattle from a transport box but I was about 8 years old I think and remember very little about it.

Anyhoo.....does anyone out there have experience with a 10/60 good or bad? what's to look out for?

Or do you just have a good story involving one?

Well I can't say much about the 10/60 Adam other than if they were as good as my DM4 it would go for it. Far better than the Blue Leyand's which came after the poppy orange Nuffy's

I'd agree with Bill, the 10/60 was a good tractor compared to later 3/45 and 4/65 models and the early Leylands, though the Syncro gearbox in later Leylands made a big diference.

At the time the 4/60 and 10/60 were compared to the RollsRoyce of tractors, and even offered slightly more power than the Majors of the same era. :)

I love old Nuffields, something a bit different to your average MF or Ford. Speaking my stepdad, he says we used to run Nuffield and leyland before going green. Although the rolls Royce of tractors didn't they have a reputation for their ability to break fingers due to their heavy steering

I love old Nuffields, something a bit different to your average MF or Ford. Speaking my stepdad, he says we used to run Nuffield and leyland before going green. Although the rolls Royce of tractors didn't they have a reputation for their ability to break fingers due to their heavy steering

Could be a bit heavy at times, though alot would depend on how much play there was in the steering :laugh:  :laugh:

Could be a bit heavy at times, though alot would depend on how much play there was in the steering :laugh:  :laugh:

Play in steering ....my one had at least a 1/2 wheel turn play when I got the 1957 model in 1978. It was used on a Cameron Gardner Rear loader so was often more in the air at the front than on the ground when clearing the courts ;D  ;D ...remind me to show you the trunnion pin when you are up to the show in May Paul. I did no work to the engine but the steering and stub pin on the land side had to get major welding build up before being ground down with an angle grinder and a new brass bush as a template then packed with grease....we did not have access to a lathe ;D  ;D..still going strong since restored in 1982 but I'm afraid it wont be started up when you are up since the 6 volt batteries are well dead :angry: ...but you will get a look under the layers of covers if you want :huh:  :unsure:

I done the kingpins/stub axles and bushes on my old 4/60, not a difficult job as long as you can get your hands on a reaming tool for the new bushes. Steering is no more heavy on aNuffield than any other tractor of that era.

One area to check is the BMC engine as the cylinder liners do have a habit of going porous in them and letting water get into the oil. The good thing is though that new liners are readily available and its not a major job to replace them. Wokshop manuals are readily available and tell you how to in very clear detail if you have basic mechanical knowledge.

Thanks for the info Lads.

Bill, I remember your Nuffield from the BA Stores open day a few years ago, a right sharp wee number! This one looks pretty nice and straight so I think I'd leave it in as-is condition. The owner says it has always been shedded and with our dry climate I don't expect any rust.

Gav, thanks for the heads-up on the possibility of porus liners, I'll keep that in mind when I check 'er out.

I'll let you know what shes like in the flesh ,er, tin, when I see 'er in April.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd better give you an update on this wee adventure. I did go and look at this tractor in early April and it was in cracking good condition. 6000 odd hours on 'er and it was beautiful. It even still had the reflectors on the mudguards! No rust and no bent tin at all. A full set of wheel weights front and rear probably had something to do with quite a lot of play in the steering box and the prerequisite lousy brakes were the biggest faults I could find after a test-drive. 

Needless to say my Dad and I went along to the auction a week later and after some (very) spirited bidding we won-out well past our high limit (what numpties).

I left the tractor with its previous owner until I had time to pick it up which was this last weekend. Now its home I'm chuffed to bits with it. I can't say how pleased I am to have a Nuffield that has had such a long working life and is in such great condition, the tractor is a real credit to its previous owner. All of his machinery at the sale was at least 20 plus years old and was in top condition achieving top prices.

I've been out for a few runs up and down the road in front of the house this last couple of evenings and have decided that brake attention is top priority (one brake locked-up coming down the ramps off the trailer and it slewed off the side of the ramp, luckily only a drop of a foot or so. Keeps one on one's toes I can tell ya!) I will also tighten-up the steering play soon and this winter it looks like a few minor fuel system leaks will be tidied up. Other than that she's a peach.

My ultimate plan is to purchase a Box-Blade for it to maintain  numerous gravel driveways for my family and friends.

I'll keep y' posted, thanks everyone for your input and advice.

Archived